upgrade from a Sony STR-DN1080 to ?

On ‎4‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, super kermit said:

My SONY is a piece of ******

Multiple failures and repairs

What is the next worthwhile step up, to a budget of the price of the SONY + 50%?

Interesting, I have only heard good things about that Sony machine.

That puts you in the $2000 budget range and there are heaps of options.  Is room Eq of high value to you? Do you need atmos?  how many channels etc etc.

How far can the budget stretch?  NAD T758 V3 can be had for a bit over 2k and it's a great unit.  I use one with just 2.2 in my living area.  Replaced a stereo receiver that died and have been very impressed with it.  Has Bluos streaming on board and sounds great with music and TV.  Can't comment on its surround sound processing as have never used it.

If only need 5 channels Anthem MRX 520 a good option with the excellent ARC room eq on board.

If looking more traditional AVR with all bells and whisltes then think Denon is the pick of the bunch these days for value and quality however need to watch the speaker efficiency here as these units have pretty small power supplies in this price range.

What speakers are you using it with and how big is the room.?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POV said:

Interesting, I have only heard good things about that Sony machine.

Total power consumption is 240W - plenty of reports of them giving trouble unless driven by a little old lady...

• Like 1