Sign in to follow this  
Yatto

Favourite Western/s

Does the black robe count ? 

Posted (edited)

Tombstone, Val Kilmer is fantastic as Doc Holiday. Kurt Russell, late Bill Paxton. 

Simply suburb movie that’s I watch and rewatch since it came out. Really, my all time favorite western 

Neo

Edited by Neo

I love cowboy movies and saw hundreds between 10 and 16 years old at the cinema mostly Saturday afternoon matinees

What I didn’t see then I’ve probably seen since it mostly on television since the end of the 60’s

i also have dozens of dvds of Audie Murphy Randolph Scott Joel McCrea And Gregory Peck not to mention dozens of tv shows from the early 60’s

currently watching Laramie on Foxtel and Wyatt Earp on Amazon along with a few western movies

ive also recently discovered a lot on you tube and watched them on the tv

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Monte Walsh (the 1971 Lee marvin version - haven't seen the Tom Sellick remake)  This under-rated gem is a warm and beautiful movie that treads easly and deftly between melancholy, humour and action.  I portrays a West that is changing forever with the sad result that the cowboy life is becoming redundant.

The gorgeous music by John Barry gets under your skin and stays there permanently.   I was sold right from the opening title song by Mama Cass Elliot.

Maybe not a typical Western, but my favourite.

I liked "Bad Day at Black Rock" too - must be one of the best titles ever!  But I guess that's even less of a "Western".

I last saw "Soldier Blue" about 45 years ago but I do remember really enjoying it, despite fairly universal panning by the critics.

+1 for tombstone and Unforgiven. I’ll add No country for old men as Maybe the best modern western and There will be blood as another modern masterpiece. 

I saw There will be blood with the MSO providing the soundtrack live a couple of years ago and it was incredible. 

3 hours ago, keyse1 said:

I love cowboy movies and saw hundreds between 10 and 16 years old at the cinema mostly Saturday afternoon matinees

What I didn’t see then I’ve probably seen since it mostly on television since the end of the 60’s

i also have dozens of dvds of Audie Murphy Randolph Scott Joel McCrea And Gregory Peck not to mention dozens of tv shows from the early 60’s

currently watching Laramie on Foxtel and Wyatt Earp on Amazon along with a few western movies

ive also recently discovered a lot on you tube and watched them on the tv

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a great selection of posters keyse1.

You have reminded me of all the TV westerns I used to watch back in the 60's.

Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Bat Masterson, Rawhide, Branded, The Rebel (which is playing on Netflix at the moment), Have Gun Will Travel, The Lone Ranger (TV series), Maverick,

Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wyatt Earp and another series (I have forgotten the title) with a young Steve McQueen in which his character wears a cut-down rifle in a holster on his hip.

I used to enjoy Whiplash! with Peter Graves, set and filmed in 1800's Australia. Peter Graves and James Arness (Gunsmoke) are brothers apparently.

In the 70's used to watch Cash & Co. another Australian series set in the 1800's

Cade's County with Glen Ford was another good series although a more modern setting.

How could I forget "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors??

Rio Bravo - Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.

Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin , Nat King Cole and Jane Fonda.

2 hours ago, Yatto said:

That's a great selection of posters keyse1.

You have reminded me of all the TV westerns I used to watch back in the 60's.

Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Bat Masterson, Rawhide, Branded, The Rebel (which is playing on Netflix at the moment), Have Gun Will Travel, The Lone Ranger (TV series), Maverick,

Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wyatt Earp and another series (I have forgotten the title) with a young Steve McQueen in which his character wears a cut-down rifle in a holster on his hip.

I used to enjoy Whiplash! with Peter Graves, set and filmed in 1800's Australia. Peter Graves and James Arness (Gunsmoke) are brothers apparently.

In the 70's used to watch Cash & Co. another Australian series set in the 1800's

Cade's County with Glen Ford was another good series although a more modern setting.

Steve McQueen  was The Bounty Hunter l think.

You left out one of my favourite early tv shows The Cisco Kid , oh! and HOPALONG CASSIDY who l only just remember seeing when he came to Adelaide in l think the late 50s

I like John Wayne but like Robert  DeNiro    Jack Nicholson And Al Pacino made a career out of playing themselves after making some great movies

The Searchers and the 3 Cavalry movies She Wore A Yellow Ribbon The Horse Soldiers And Fort Apache were great movies and all directed by John Ford 

From memory The Searchers was referenced by George Lucas as an influence on Star Wars and  contains the Buddy Holly song title That’ll Be The Day that John Wayne repeats throughout the movie

Gregory Peck made some good westerns the best of which was The Gunfighter which was referenced in an epic Bob Dylan song Brownsville Girl from the record Knocked Out Loaded

The Wild Bunch.

Once upon a time in the west.

True grit ...coen brothers remake.

And of course The good the bad and the ugly.

Great movies there

especially number 1

ive always seen them as westerns going back to the first one

now everyone will have to watch that clip to see what number 1 is😀