Favourite Western/s

Hi Everyone

What is your favourite western movie? (for those who like westerns of course)

My favourite is "The Magnificent Seven" but I also like the three iconic Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns starring Clint Eastwood......no titles needed here.......lol

In my opinion the themes to all these movies are timeless......Elmer Bernstein and Ennio Morricone respectively.

• Like 2

This is my favorite thread  ever. I love a good western.

Heres a couple in no particular order;

Magnificent Seven

Shane - If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favour.......

The Cowboys (John Wayne)

The Shootist (John Wayne)

True Grit (John Wayne)

• Like 1

So many choices where to start.....

there are 2 John Wayne that were that bit different to his usual.

el dorado with Robert Mitchum & James Caan 

big Jake, the odd turn of the century one 

the shootish - last movie 

• Like 1

Oh yes!.....I forgot about "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" with John 'The Duke' Wayne, James Stewart and Lee Marvin.

It's a pity that Gene Pitney's classic song wasn't on the soundtrack.

Yes, Jeddie, I saw Shane with Alan Ladd many years ago.

It is a good movie.

I will have to watch it again sometime soon.

There are SO many good westerns......old and new.

• Like 1

i like old westerns from 70's back but have been surprised by some modern ones. they may or may not appeal to most but there was something in each that i like.

dances with wolves

unforgiven

tombstone

open range

young guns

the lone ranger (yes i know but on a big screen/pj/sound system it works)

• Like 2

Tombstone, Val Kilmer is fantastic as Doc Holiday. Kurt Russell, late Bill Paxton. 

Simply suburb movie that’s I watch and rewatch since it came out. Really, my all time favorite western 

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 4

I love cowboy movies and saw hundreds between 10 and 16 years old at the cinema mostly Saturday afternoon matinees

What I didn’t see then I’ve probably seen since it mostly on television since the end of the 60’s

i also have dozens of dvds of Audie Murphy Randolph Scott Joel McCrea And Gregory Peck not to mention dozens of tv shows from the early 60’s

currently watching Laramie on Foxtel and Wyatt Earp on Amazon along with a few western movies

ive also recently discovered a lot on you tube and watched them on the tv

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Love 1

Monte Walsh (the 1971 Lee marvin version - haven't seen the Tom Sellick remake)  This under-rated gem is a warm and beautiful movie that treads easly and deftly between melancholy, humour and action.  I portrays a West that is changing forever with the sad result that the cowboy life is becoming redundant.

The gorgeous music by John Barry gets under your skin and stays there permanently.   I was sold right from the opening title song by Mama Cass Elliot.

Maybe not a typical Western, but my favourite.

I liked "Bad Day at Black Rock" too - must be one of the best titles ever!  But I guess that's even less of a "Western".

I last saw "Soldier Blue" about 45 years ago but I do remember really enjoying it, despite fairly universal panning by the critics.

+1 for tombstone and Unforgiven. I’ll add No country for old men as Maybe the best modern western and There will be blood as another modern masterpiece. 

I saw There will be blood with the MSO providing the soundtrack live a couple of years ago and it was incredible. 

3 hours ago, keyse1 said:

I love cowboy movies and saw hundreds between 10 and 16 years old at the cinema mostly Saturday afternoon matinees

What I didn’t see then I’ve probably seen since it mostly on television since the end of the 60’s

i also have dozens of dvds of Audie Murphy Randolph Scott Joel McCrea And Gregory Peck not to mention dozens of tv shows from the early 60’s

currently watching Laramie on Foxtel and Wyatt Earp on Amazon along with a few western movies

ive also recently discovered a lot on you tube and watched them on the tv

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a great selection of posters keyse1.

You have reminded me of all the TV westerns I used to watch back in the 60's.

Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Bat Masterson, Rawhide, Branded, The Rebel (which is playing on Netflix at the moment), Have Gun Will Travel, The Lone Ranger (TV series), Maverick,

Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Wyatt Earp and another series (I have forgotten the title) with a young Steve McQueen in which his character wears a cut-down rifle in a holster on his hip.

I used to enjoy Whiplash! with Peter Graves, set and filmed in 1800's Australia. Peter Graves and James Arness (Gunsmoke) are brothers apparently.

In the 70's used to watch Cash & Co. another Australian series set in the 1800's

Cade's County with Glen Ford was another good series although a more modern setting.

• Like 2