Projector Calibrator Recommendations

Hi, all.  I have just purchased the Epson Tw-9400.  I'm doing a minor home cinema reno and therefore am months off from needing a calibration as I haven't even set up the new projector.  But I thought I'd start this conversation and get some suggestions.  I live in the Blue Mountains area outside of Sydney, NSW.  Can anyone suggest a  knowledgeable calibrator versed in SDR, HDR, and 3D calibrations? Other than Avical they seem as rare as Yetis around here.  Any thoughts?

Edited by shadowboy
  • Like 1

ive just had my new Samsung QLED tv calibrated by Tony from Clarity Audio & Visual Calibration https://www.claritycalibration.com.au/ he is based in Adelaide and is ISF certified. just before he did mine he was in Melbourne doing some projector calibrating so not sure if he would do sydney but it's worth an ask, He is a really nice guy and definitely knows what he's doing. 

also he does SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision calibrations

• Like 1

Hi, all.  I have just purchased the Epson Tw-9400.  I'm doing a minor home cinema reno and therefore am months off from needing a calibration as I haven't even set up the new projector.  But I thought I'd start this conversation and get some suggestions.  I live in the Blue Mountains area outside of Sydney, NSW.  Can anyone suggest a  knowledgeable calibrator versed in SDR, HDR, and 3D calibrations? Other than Avical they seem as rare as Yetis around here.  Any thoughts?

My be in your neck of the woods soon if you're interested?

Tony clarity audio and video calibration

On 04/07/2019 at 1:12 PM, shadowboy said:

Can anyone suggest a  knowledgeable calibrator versed in SDR, HDR, and 3D calibrations? Other than Avical

+1

14 hours ago, Rec. 709 said:

My be in your neck of the woods soon if you're interested?

Tony clarity audio and video calibration

I am looking to have my JVC N7 projector and Sony Z9D TV calibrated.

Keen to have HDR actually calibrated rather than adjusted by eye

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chamii said:

Keen to have HDR actually calibrated rather than adjusted by eye

Colour can be calibrated acurately for 1080 SDR Rec.709 content but less accurately for WCG (P3) 4K HDR. With projectors the more you strive for a wider gamut the more light output you loose, and this is typically a poor trade off for HDR. Wide gamut colours are VERY bright and garish so need more brightness not less. On top of that its rare to find wide gamut colours in real world scenes so the loss of wide gamut capability is no big deal and goes unnoticed. 

The most important aspect of calibration IMHO is gamma, and while its possible to "calibrate" to one of the SDR standard gamma curves like 2.4 the ideal gamma for the particular viewing situation can be quite different as it dependant on ambient lighting, screen brightness, screen size and viewing distance. There is no one setup that fits all situations.

HDR gamma is a complete $hit fight, and with projectors which are all SDR display devices and must use "tone mapping", there is no way to "calibrate", especially if the projector is dynamically tone mapping (gamma mapping) each movie differently.

With HDR on projectors its all about what looks good with most movies, there is no way to "calibrate" to any standard, and thats why I have little time for HDR. Its all over the bloody place and horribly inconsistent, unlike SDR.

• Thanks 1

On 06/07/2019 at 1:33 PM, Owen said:

Colour can be calibrated acurately for 1080 SDR Rec.709 content but less accurately for WCG (P3) 4K HDR. With projectors the more you strive for a wider gamut the more light output you loose, and this is typically a poor trade off for HDR. Wide gamut colours are VERY bright and garish so need more brightness not less. On top of that its rare to find wide gamut colours in real world scenes so the loss of wide gamut capability is no big deal and goes unnoticed. 

The most important aspect of calibration IMHO is gamma, and while its possible to "calibrate" to one of the SDR standard gamma curves like 2.4 the ideal gamma for the particular viewing situation can be quite different as it dependant on ambient lighting, screen brightness, screen size and viewing distance. There is no one setup that fits all situations.

HDR gamma is a complete $hit fight, and with projectors which are all SDR display devices and must use "tone mapping", there is no way to "calibrate", especially if the projector is dynamically tone mapping (gamma mapping) each movie differently.

With HDR on projectors its all about what looks good with most movies, there is no way to "calibrate" to any standard, and thats why I have little time for HDR. Its all over the bloody place and horribly inconsistent, unlike SDR.

I am in the process of reading up on this topic.

I was informed by another member who got in touch with Kirs Deering that standard calibration for 2020 color with a base gamma to get the grayscale proper, and then turn on the auto tone mapping is the way to go.

I agree with you that we might have to tweak the sliders for each movie .