MaxPlumage

Subwoofer positioning advice

11 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

It would be silly to put yourself in camp A,B or C, as each approach has it's pro's and cons.

Placement and multiple subs are good for dealing with nulls and good bas response over multiple seats.

Digital EQ are good for dealing with room peaks, specially in the LFE range, but don't deal with decay rates.

Acoustics products are good with dealing with boundary effects and decay time, which can help smooth the response and improve clarity. Acoustics products for dealing with LFE response problems are huge and you will need a lot, hence the preference for digital EQ solutions.

You should always use measurements if you can, to better keep track of changes as LFE frequencies are difficult for the ear. That doesn't mean you should not trust your ears, as they are your final measurements tool.

But most people don't really know what proper bass sounds like, as most of us haven't experienced it, so start by using measurements until you know what to listen for, and then tune by ear.

My previous post about the 2 schools of thought on sub integration was made based on what I have done and what I have seen in other setups.  Not sure who the "you" in your post was referring to, but it does not reflect what I have done and posted previously eg. MSO 

My previous post about the 2 schools of thought on sub integration was made based on what I have done and what I have seen in other setups.  Not sure who the "you" in your post was referring to, but it does not reflect what I have done and posted previously eg. MSO 
You doesn't refer to anyone in particular. I just quoted your post and intended to post a general reply that all camps have pro's and cons. No offence intended.

On 03/07/2019 at 9:39 PM, MaxPlumage said:

A question on positioning the sub. I currently have floorstanders for my LR and dual 12 inch subs - to the right of my L and to the left of my R.

Does it matter if the subs have to be in line with the floor standers and close to each floor stander to feel more 'integrated'? Currently the floor standers are placed about 15-20 cm behind the sub and toed in.

When choosing sub positions, by far the most important performance issue is the room transfer function. In other words, the frequency response you get from particular positions - both the sub/s and your listening position. It's not very common that you will end up with subs in those positions you mention after a proper assessment. Those positions usually reflect not having gone through a well considered assessment. 

There are some rooms in which a good position for the mains is also good for the subs. Not very common but even in these cases, generally it's not so much that these positions are better, rather they are "good enough" to work with. In those situations, do you actually need a sub? You might but it's then about some of the lesser advantages of adding a sub. Things like adding a fuller bass or getting more extension. For most people, the bigger advantages are that other positions work much better to give you a smoother frequency response. Most of the time, putting subs near the mains will negate the biggest advantages of having subs!