Jump to content

tamarasue

Directional Digital Cable

Recommended Posts

Hoping someone can assist me.   I recently purchased a 75ohm (RCA) Digital Cable.   One end has a red ring, the other white.    I assume this is to indicate direction as the shielding if often grounded at one end.    Can anyone advise which end is the source end? 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Hoping someone can assist me.   I recently purchased a 75ohm (RCA) Digital Cable.   One end has a red ring, the other white.    I assume this is to indicate direction as the shielding if often grounded at one end.    Can anyone advise which end is the source end? 

Thanks in advance

A 75 ohm (RCA) Digital Coaxial cable has to have the " earth" side at both ends connected to work correctly.

 Do you have a link to the cable that you purchased? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look really carefully through the mesh sheath, you can read some printing underneath on the cable. It tells you direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Try it in both directions blinded and be surprised!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AussieMick   -  White writing on a silver sheath, barely visible, but I found it! 

And Ittaku  -  I've plugged it in both ways and despite my super sensitive ears - buggered if I could tell a difference!    I believe direction is so its earths to the destination end so just wanted to get it right so there are no hum etc issues at a later date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tamarasue said:

And Ittaku  -  I've plugged it in both ways and despite my super sensitive ears - buggered if I could tell a difference!    I believe direction is so its earths to the destination end so just wanted to get it right so there are no hum etc issues at a later date. 

Very good. This means you are not prone to the power of suggestion for there is no mechanism for a digital cable of that sort to actually be directional. Earth can't be directional in a cable like that so there's nothing to be concerned about.

Edited by Ittaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamarasue said:

I believe direction is so its earths to the destination end

 

Nono - as 'sandyk' posted, in a coax cable the shield provides signal earth (whilst the centre pin carries the signal).  So the shield will be connected to the RCA plugs at both ends.

 

So it would be interesting to know why they wrote a direction on the silver sheath?  Can you tell us what the writing says?

 

Thanks

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Nono - as 'sandyk' posted, in a coax cable the shield provides signal earth (whilst the centre pin carries the signal).  So the shield will be connected to the RCA plugs at both ends.

 

So it would be interesting to know why they wrote a direction on the silver sheath?  Can you tell us what the writing says?

 

Thanks

Andy

 

Spoke to the supplier and they said to install the cable in the direction of the writing.    Like I said - I couldn't hear any difference so it may be hog wash - but Transparent Audio are a decent cable company! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tamarasue said:

Spoke to the supplier and they said to install the cable in the direction of the writing.    Like I said - I couldn't hear any difference so it may be hog wash - but Transparent Audio are a decent cable company! 

It's all Marketing drivel I'm afraid. Many years ago someone subjectively felt  that a cable sounded better in one direction than the other and ever since then most audio cable manufacturers have been claiming directionality on all the cables they make when in fact close to zero could possibly have any directional effect. You'll have to reconsider what the words "decent cable company" mean in light of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2019 at 12:26 PM, Ittaku said:

It's all Marketing drivel I'm afraid. Many years ago someone subjectively felt  that a cable sounded better in one direction than the other and ever since then most audio cable manufacturers have been claiming directionality on all the cables they make when in fact close to zero could possibly have any directional effect. You'll have to reconsider what the words "decent cable company" mean in light of that.

Another confirmation of why I have starting avoiding any "discussions" on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scumbag said:

It's only a matter of time until Ittaku lobs in to tell us all "how it really is".

 

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

Another confirmation of why I have starting avoiding any "discussions" on this site.

and yet ….there you are 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I am glad Ittaku saved the rest of us from posting "It's bullslip!". 

Not sure why you would want to stop such precautionary advice being given, Scumbag. 

Myabe you have history with Ittaku...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2019 at 10:34 AM, tamarasue said:

And Ittaku  -  I've plugged it in both ways and despite my super sensitive ears - buggered if I could tell a difference! 

[tongue in cheek]Ah, but you haven't waited for the cable to burn in. Nor have you considered long-term listening fatigue. In any case, is your system resolving enough?[/tongue in cheek]

 

It turns out that, in practice, even ordinary 75 ohm SPDIF coaxial cable can be found to do the job. Please see my post immediately below, in response to a general query about cable directionality.

Edited by MLXXX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, AussieMick said:

 

I see that that link which may be easier to find at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX4Cr8sfFkg&feature=youtu.be is Paul McGowan, highly experienced and persuasive presenter on audiophile matters, discussing cable direction.  He is rather non-commital on the topic in that video, though doesn't rule out the possibility altogether.

 

@AussieMick, for coaxial cable simply used for SPDIF signals, there's usually even less reason to worry about supposed subtle differences related to "cable direction". The device receiving the digital stream very possibly tidies it up and buffers it. If it is a good quality DAC, it will do that to the digital stream and reclock it. And even an amplifier with a built-in SPDIF coaxial input ought to be able to tidy up the signal.

 

So for the peace of mind of an audiophile who has acquired a relatively expensive length of coaxial cable just to carry a SPDIF signal, it would probably be best for them to avoid a listening test comparing their "high performance" 75 ohm coaxial cable with a similar length of ordinary audio grade 75 ohm coaxial cable with RCA connectors. (People have been known to report hearing no differences, disturbingly often. )

 

And if it's a short run of cable that's involved, the audiophile possessing an expensive 75 ohm coaxial cable should probably avoid substituting ordinary shielded audio cable for 75 ohm coaxial cable, as there is a strong chance that the ordinary shielded cable would work perfectly well; leaving all bits readable, ready to be buffered and reclocked by the device receiving the SPDIF stream. Such a result could be confronting and disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...