Sell or Take when move to Malaysia?

I plan to move from Australia to Malaysia, and thinking whether i should sell all my Speaker, Subwoofer and Receiver in Australia and buy a new/ second hand when in Malaysia. I am quite happy with them, i bought them 7~8 years ago. I guess Receiver might need upgrade.

Would like to know if the AV price in Malaysia will be similar?

To bring back, it will be ship by sea and it may cost me around $500~$1000 (depend on reliability), the AV gear i got cost me.around $3000 back in 7~8 years ago.

My AV gear below:

- Paradigm Titan Monitor

- Paradigm CC-190

- SVS pb-1000

- Marantz sr6005

- Speaker Stand

Another complication is i.might need to pay tax when it reach Malaysia, so i am inclined to sell.

Appreciate if someone has gone through similar situation can give some advise.

Lastly, if anyone know which website in Malaysia advertise second hand audiophile speaker similar to this website? I don't seems to.find one.

Hifi & HT gear are not cheap in Malaysia, shops scattered everywhere.

How long are you there for? If for a relatively short time, maybe get a small sub sat or headphone system?

No personal experience, but try

http://www.hifi4sale.net/

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3311931/all

Low Yat is the computer tech shopping mall in KL, used to have a few audio shops, not sure they are still there. 

With the cost of shipping and your gear quite old, I suggest sell. Plus, never know with customs there whether you get pinged; unfortunately they sometimes pick on an expensive looking shipment in order to get someone to grease their pockets (fact of life there).

Good luck with your move..

• Thanks 1

Second what @Snoopy8 said above.  AV gear arent cheap in KL, especially the new/latest stuff.  Warranty issues are another matter altogether.  Have relos in KL and over the years have been patiently listening to their dilemmas.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Hifi & HT gear are not cheap in Malaysia, shops scattered everywhere.

How long are you there for? If for a relatively short time, maybe get a small sub sat or headphone system?

No personal experience, but try

http://www.hifi4sale.net/

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3311931/all

Low Yat is the computer tech shopping mall in KL, used to have a few audio shops, not sure they are still there. 

With the cost of shipping and your gear quite old, I suggest sell. Plus, never know with customs there whether you get pinged; unfortunately they sometimes pick on an expensive looking shipment in order to get someone to grease their pockets (fact of life there).

Good luck with your move..

Thanks for the suggestion, i am actually moving back to Malaysia ( PENANG) for good.

My 46' SONY TV is Around 10 years old, still go strong, buy not plan to bring back, so cheap nowsaday for tv.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

maybe $250-300 for the marantz 2nd hand... $550-650 pb1000

speakers+ stands $350? centre$150?

you mean if i sell it in Australia, that's what i should expect the price?

49 minutes ago, ccgoh1983 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, i am actually moving back to Malaysia ( PENANG) for good.

My 46' SONY TV is Around 10 years old, still go strong, buy not plan to bring back, so cheap nowsaday for tv.

Was not clear in your original post that you were from Malaysia, so you know what it is like. No idea about Hifi shops in Penang..

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Was not clear in your original post that you were from Malaysia, so you know what it is like. No idea about Hifi shops in Penang..

I am, but i came to Australia Sydney more than 15 years ago, not familiar what is avaialable there.

the prices are ball park figures from sales i have seen, similar sales found on stereonet and just gumtree watching.. but you will never know until you advertise.

the thing is mate do not mention you are going o/s (well too late here) but on other sites. reason is you can bank on offers 50% below or more off what you ask (as  a buyer thats what i would do ?

17 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

the thing is mate do not mention you are going o/s (well too late here) but on other sites. reason is you can bank on offers 50% below or more off what you ask (as  a buyer thats what i would do 

Don't know whether it is allowed, but ask the Mods to hide this thread so that you don't get low ball offers??? @ccgoh1983

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Don't know whether it is allowed, but ask the Mods to hide this thread so that you don't get low ball offers??? @ccgoh1983

I still has 2 months before i leave, worse case, only low ball offer, i might as well ship it back or put it in my friend place.

If you know some network/freight agents you might be able to source new gear from Singapore and import direct. Take a weekend drive to Singa and hit Adelphi and the like....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WasM said:

If you know some network/freight agents you might be able to source new gear from Singapore and import direct. Take a weekend drive to Singa and hit Adelphi and the like....

Thanks, sounds good. 

Is the AV price in Singapore good?

I few years ago I moved from London back to Oz. No tax in this direction if owned > 12 months.

Once I'd arranged international shipping (uplift, shared container, delivery etc) for the essentials each additional cubic foot was only an extra 4 GBP or so.

Wish I'd brought more back with me

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2019 at 3:03 PM, ccgoh1983 said:

Thanks, sounds good. 

I would say the range is more extensive than Malaysia. depending on what you're looking for singers should be cheaper.

@ccgoh1983

as far as i know, there is only 1 proper HIFI shop left in Penang. The shop is called Happy Audio Visual in Jalan Pahang. 

CMY Audio shut their doors in Gurney Plaza a few years back.

However, they are still present in KL and their website list prices so you can have a look and aid your decision making.

Your closest option for second hand forums will be mudah.com.my. It is not a dedicated hifi forum.

I agree with Snoopy that TVs are cheaper and that goes for most electronics/white goods (you should know that too I'm sure!)

All the best on your move back.

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2019 at 3:03 PM, ccgoh1983 said:

Thanks, sounds good. 

Been a long time since I bought from Singapore, but I think brands such as Denon & Marantz are still significantly cheaper than Oz. It depends on brands.  

I agree with WasM that you should visit Adelphi but not the driving from Penang to Singapore; flying is cheap these days...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jgunner said:

@ccgoh1983

as far as i know, there is only 1 proper HIFI shop left in Penang. The shop is called Happy Audio Visual in Jalan Pahang. 

CMY Audio shut their doors in Gurney Plaza a few years back.

However, they are still present in KL and their website list prices so you can have a look and aid your decision making.

Your closest option for second hand forums will be mudah.com.my. It is not a dedicated hifi forum.

I agree with Snoopy that TVs are cheaper and that goes for most electronics/white goods (you should know that too I'm sure!)

All the best on your move back.

Thanks, appreciate for the info.