Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

I think you might have missed my sarcasm there L - I'm sure your assessment of the speakers is spot on and I plan to persevere with them at another store! I believe the failing — if thats what it was — was with the amp and not the two sets of speakers I heard.  The Nad reminded me of an even less capable version of that Primare amp that neither of us much cared for — charmless and sterile. For a $6k amp I'd expect something a whole lot better.  

Nah, it's all kosher for me mate and don't worry, I am never precious at all.

I actually think your assessment of the 300 is astute.

They actually brought on a headache when I heard them, I blamed everything except the speakers but they lack bass and as a result they sound thin, shrill and cold. Even being objective, the $3K I spent on the 500 sis probably equal to the best buy I have made this decade ( along with my  still-in residence B&W CDM 9NT.

I swap them around periodically and love 'em both.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been an MA fan since they were first sold in Australia.   At the time I was working for the importer/distributor and also the retail arm of the business.  I  cannot remember how many

OK. So long as you don't mind a messy room and some not-so-good photos. Once I get everything organised and tidy again in the room/rack. I will post some better pics.   I am in the

My MA Silver 8's in Walnut Excellent build quality and performance, wont be parting from these anytime soon.    

11 minutes ago, rantan said:

They actually brought on a headache when I heard them, I blamed everything except the speakers but they lack bass and as a result they sound thin, shrill and cold. Even being objective, the $3K I spent on the 500 sis probably equal to the best buy I have made this decade ( along with my  still-in residence B&W CDM 9NT.

I was told by a sales person that the silver 300’s were designed to be set up in a 5.1 config and hence has less in the low end than the 200s (or the 500’s too I would assume). He said the 200’s have a more even tonal balance than the 300’s which are lacking in bass. 

I didnt audition either of these to see for myself. Just 3rd hand info which may support your choice.

I did however ever hear the silver 50’s which were just great. Also heard bronze 5’s which I did not rate. Very boomy uncontrolled bass and shrill highs.  I would buy the silver 50’s over bronze 5’s. Want to hear silver 100’s. Hopefully would fill a room better but keep the same tonal balance as the 50’s. 

@Kasman

100% agree mate. I reckon the two best models by far, in the Silver range, are the 100 and the 500. I also agree that the 300 lack bass and it is very interesting to read that they (may ) have designed them this way.

Certainly, it would explain a lot of anomalies that the 300 shouldn't have for 2 channel, but which would work fine for 5.1. Very interesting indeed. It really does complete the jigsaw puzzle.:)

• 1 month later...

IMG_0907.thumb.JPG.a5181c8631e7e54619b568937af0d0ab.JPG

Picked up my First pair Of Monitor Audio Monitor ONE's 2 days ago for 70 bucks not knowing really what to expect.

They are my first listen to Monitor and im finding myself continually drawn back to the room for a listen, VERY impressive defiantly a fan!!!

Even the wife came in for a listen and rates them.

Edited by xCombatWombatx
  • Like 2
On 03/10/2019 at 2:24 PM, ollie_08 said:

Enjoying what the the MA Silver 8's are delivering?

IMG20190929204120.jpg

IMG20190921153718.jpg

I would only ever consider getting rid of my Silver 8s for something further up the MA tree. Nice to see them set up s well too. ?

On 03/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, rantan said:

This is concerning as I really dont want to have to consider, gulp, more "upgrades"......?

• Like 3

@crisis if you like what you hear, do you need to consider an upgrade, remember there is always something better, i have had my Monitor Audio RS6's for 15yrs so for, and a pair of Bronze BX2's for a couple, no plans to change

15738626731701764091265.jpg

15738627609911764020993.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Heads up for anyone here considering MA. 

Melbourne hifi have a pretty decent sale on Gold 100, 200 and 300's.  And they will audition with hours notice (I rang them).

The 300's are down from 10k to just over 6k. They are brand new and they have to order from MA, said 24 hours so in hifi talk maybe 2 weeks?

Anyway, still a bargain.

Edited by rodders3
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, wen said:

@crisis if you like what you hear, do you need to consider an upgrade, remember there is always something better, i have had my Monitor Audio RS6's for 15yrs so for, and a pair of Bronze BX2's for a couple, no plans to change

Definitely. But this doesn't help....

On 16/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, rodders3 said:

Heads up for anyone here considering MA. 

Melbourne hifi have a pretty decent sale on Gold 100, 200 and 300's.  And they will audition with hours notice (I rang them).

The 300's are down from 10k to just over 6k. They are brand new and they have to order from MA, said 24 hours so in hifi talk maybe 2 weeks?

Anyway, still a bargain.

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up a set of MA Bronze B2 in mint condition for a second room 2 channel setup. Paired up with a 70’s amp they are delightful. I am scared to drag my Bronze 6 into this setup as they wont go back I am sure. 

3F3AC2EB-51CE-4829-8CB7-332E24853E0A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 9:29 PM, candyflip said:

I've had my eye on the Bronze One or Two's for months now.... just waiting to pull the trigger to replace my older Mission MX-1's. Haven't heard them, but have heard much *about* them.

Someone is trying to tempt me away with a pair of Elac Debut B5.2's, and/or the Cambridge Aero 2's as well - so I'm really torn. All of them get great reviews from the UK audio press.....  :frantics:

I'm in a similar situation. I'm sick of the crap audio from my newish bravia so I've done some basic research and without having listened to anything my cross-hairs are now down to two options to experience and compare first. First is Yamaha wxa-50 with either Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or Silver 100. OR a set of KEF LSX. Just need some time to get to a local KEF dealer which is Miles away from me. 

For me its as basic as it gets. I need something smallish and its just for sports audio and an occasional bit of music. 

Very appreciative of any other suggestions. 

Edited by NAYR
Spelling/punctuation

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, NAYR said:

Very appreciative of any other suggestions. 

Suggestions (alternative) to another thread/topic please. This is the Monitor Audio owner's thread.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just started breaking in my first MA speakers (Bronze 2) yesterday and unless I heard wrong the sales guy said to only listen at low-medium volume for 30 hours or something crazy. I’ve never heard of this but just googled it because frankly I wanna pump the music!

I didn’t find anything mentioning limiting volume, on the contrary one source said to  play it loud ?

I don’t want it loud usually, but around half power at least. 

Anyway, I knew straight away they were pretty good speakers. Better than what I’ve had before. I have a decent Yamaha 5.1 setup, but they’re probably better than them too. Not broken in yet but hearing some nice clarity and resolution. Not as amazing as I was lead to believe, but very good for less than $600 new. And still early days.. surprising for such diminutive things.

Edited by Esoterica
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to this thread and new owner of older model of the Monitor Audio speakers, i.e. 2 pairs of the RS8 and the equivalent centre speakers which were purchased from eBay and from this forum. I was in Eastwood Hifi which is now located in Dural and happened to listen to the Monitor Audito Bronze 6 speakers as fronts and their Bronze 1 and centre speakers. I was very impressed with the monitor audios the 1st time I listed to them in a Hifi store in Sydney CBD. I read generally very good reviews of the brand and decided to purchase 2nd hand which was within my budget. 

I enjoyed them but still need to sit-down to listen to them in great lengths. As of the member mentioned, I have to turn-up the volume from 60 to 65 to enjoy them.  

Hifi Set-up.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Since acquiring, my bronze 2s have been on the top of my Hifi unit, along with turntable, amp and Bluesound Node. They sounded good. Then I placed four whites small squares under each. I didn’t notice a difference. Then today, I placed them on my custom made stands that have around a 10 degree upward angle, and they really came alive. 

• 7 months later...

Just came across this thread & figured Id better share

Ive got some PL300's that I bought used

Amp is a Luxman 507ux & source is a Rega RP6

The speakers are utterly magnificent, Id like to try them with a more powerful amp one day but I'm very happy

169469159_466882327861841_2707411123445421390_n.jpg

169475540_237753951411210_5273383896999465006_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Congrats on the PL300's, beautiful speaker.  

I'm also new to the thread and the Monitor Audio brand.  Similarly, I dove in at the deep end of the pool with the Platinum series and recently purchased a pair of PL500II and PLC350II (Rosewood).  Duties are split for music and movies (20/80). Power is via Parasound A31 for three front channels. I've had about 2 weeks with them now, so far so good.  It's definitely added a bigger sense of 'scale' in the room.

Not many pics as yet, but here's a few on delivery day.  The boxes are massive as you'd expected.  153kg (packed) each, they even come with their own pallet... cute.  I had not seen the PLC350II center prior to taking delivery so didn't know what to expect.  That thing is outrageously big.  Never before I have I witnessed a larger center channel.  I still laugh every time I walk in the room and look at it.  This LCR setup now 'miniaturizes' everything else in the room.

IMG_20210323_124915.thumb.jpg.048b4f0d5d17d63f5386a93ceffc5c5a.jpg

IMG_20210323_124937.thumb.jpg.d58de22fb539be1809acb7b0e47a087b.jpg

IMG_20210323_142807.thumb.jpg.51669998a0ce71a1e61e42b49f345ee4.jpg

IMG_20210324_093306.thumb.jpg.9c1d245158bb043963f4e55c06af4148.jpg

• Like 4