Jump to content

ppaul

Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

I ended up with Silver 8s after getting a good deal on my system. Powered by Primare I32 they are wonderfully detailed and to my ears neutral. The only way I would change is to go up the ladder in the MA stable. Love the tight controlled bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive owned my RS8 for over 12 years. matched with the Primare Processor and Eleckra Amp. For HT they are match made in heaven. for music they aint too bad either.

 

Music sounds good around 60 to 65db plus. but one thing i have never get out of this system is big sound stage. no matter how i adjust the speakers i cannot get much depth in the sound stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MA fans any one had any experience with the monitor audio out door speakers would love to know what your opinion was on them cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another M.A. Fan here with GS60's, GSLCR, and four GSFX units ATM, at a recent GTG here those listening were exceptionally impressed with the output of high quality sounds across the range. Have had these GS series for many years now, faultless performance and finely finished cabinets right through. Any one wanting to have a listen down the SE region of Melb can PM me.

Edited by agelessgoodguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 02/09/2019 at 4:01 PM, buddyev said:

What do all you Monitor Audio lovers think about the RS8? Does they hold their own against the newer models? 

I have the opportunity to buy some for a reasonable price but I’m put off by all the frequent review comments that they are bright. 

Any thoughts? 

I owned that series before and it had a big bass and an equally prominent treble 

you have to partner them with a warm amp unless high treble notes are your thing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, petetherock said:

  big bass and an equally prominent treble 

you have to partner them with a warm amp unless high treble notes are your thing..

Quite so.

Fortunately the new Silver series is vastly more balanced and a quantum leap all round in everything they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rantan as usual post pics about your latest purchase, or it didn't happen😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of Monitor Audio. I currently have a Monitor Audio Silver home theatre setup (Silver 6, Silver centre, Silver FX and 2 atmos in ceiling speakers) combined with a SVS SB3000. For movies, music and gaming it's been fantastic. 

 

We have just bought a new house and the open plan nature of the lounge room and some aesthetic ideologies has meant that me and wifey have agreed to compromise on the setup. Dropping down to a 3.1 setup but upgrading the speakers. After much research and listening to a fair few speakers (brands and models) in my price range, I couldn't go past the new 5G gold series. Yesterday I ordered the Gold 200 and Gold C250 in white (I'll keep using the sub I have). Looking forward to setting them up and dialing them in.

 

Going to list my silver setup shortly (blatant sales plug 😀). I'll be very sad to see it go, but I can't really justify holding on to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, paulie83 said:

I'm a fan of Monitor Audio. I currently have a Monitor Audio Silver home theatre setup (Silver 6, Silver centre, Silver FX and 2 atmos in ceiling speakers) combined with a SVS SB3000. For movies, music and gaming it's been fantastic. 

 

We have just bought a new house and the open plan nature of the lounge room and some aesthetic ideologies has meant that me and wifey have agreed to compromise on the setup. Dropping down to a 3.1 setup but upgrading the speakers. After much research and listening to a fair few speakers (brands and models) in my price range, I couldn't go past the new 5G gold series. Yesterday I ordered the Gold 200 and Gold C250 in white (I'll keep using the sub I have). Looking forward to setting them up and dialing them in.

 

Going to list my silver setup shortly (blatant sales plug 😀). I'll be very sad to see it go, but I can't really justify holding on to it.

 

The Gold 200’s look nice...

 

Also always good to see customers upgrading in the same brand.

Edited by Kaynin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imo MAs need a powerful amp to bring out the true colours. running them with a receiver aint going to cut it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use a 50wpc and a 40wpc amp on my two sets of MA's, never left wanting for volume, sound superb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well i use to own a Denon 3808 never could get enough bass out of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 08/09/2019 at 6:58 PM, STROP said:

@rantan as usual post pics about your latest purchase, or it didn't happen😄

 

OK.

So long as you don't mind a messy room and some not-so-good photos.

Once I get everything organised and tidy again in the room/rack. I will post some better pics.

 

I am in the process of re arranging my rack and my prized Pioneer PL 50 is absent for now while it has a new and much better phono lead replaced.  I am also going to use the blank bottom shelf for some of my museum pieces and then tidy up the cabling.

20190911_140714.jpg

20190911_140804.jpg

20190911_140849.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what happens when you ask nicely about photos, they appear ...

Very noiiiiiice speakers @rantan enjoy😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shifted my GS60's into my smaller lounge.  Sound much better here. 👍

20190921_140255.jpg

20190921_140027.jpg

20190921_140007.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Braddles 63 said:

Awesome @rantan Thanks for sharing mate.

You are very welcome mate. I am working on a decent review and better photos at some point in time when they are fully run in.

( The manual suggests about 100 hours and ongoing improvements after that).

Frankly, if they are going to be a lot better than they are now, I will be one very happy camper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got round to auditioning some Silver 300s and some Kef R 7 floorstanders.

Obviously  @rantans golden ears have finally given up the ghost. Both speakers sounded tonally thin, sterile, lacking in dynamics and entirely without that totally unscientific commodity - engagement. 

Surely it couldn’t have been the fault of a  $6k Nad - we all know all amps sound the same.  (Sarcasm intended). 

Actually a little shocked at how bad things sounded.  I need to go back for a listen with a proper amp. 

 

Edited by buddyev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying what the the MA Silver 8's are delivering👍

 

 

 

IMG20190929204120.jpg

IMG20190921153718.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buddyev said:

I finally got round to auditioning some Silver 300s and some Kef R 7 floorstanders.

Obviously  @rantans golden ears have finally given up the ghost. Both speakers sounded tonally thin, sterile, lacking in dynamics and entirely without that totally unscientific commodity - engagement. 

Surely it couldn’t have been the fault of a  $6k Nad - we all know all amps sound the same.  (Sarcasm intended). 

Actually a little shocked at how bad things sounded.  I need to go back for a listen with a proper amp. 

 

One man's meat..........

If you can get to hear the 500 they are definitely more tonally balanced but perhaps they just aren't your cuppa. Even gurus disagree sometimes. 😀

I must admit I wasn't going to bother after hearing the 300 but I am so wonderfully pleased that I did.

Edit.

I would really be interested in your opinion of the 500 model if you can audition them.

I share your thoughts on the 300 completely but if you feel the same about the 500 I would be amazed.

Chalk and cheese. 

Edited by rantan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rantan said:

One man's meat..........

If you can get to hear the 500 they are definitely more tonally balanced but perhaps they just aren't your cuppa. Even gurus disagree sometimes. 😀

I must admit I wasn't going to bother after hearing the 300 but I am so wonderfully pleased that I did.

Edit.

I would really be interested in your opinion of the 500 model if you can audition them.

I share your thoughts on the 300 completely but if you feel the same about the 500 I would be amazed.

Chalk and cheese. 

I think you might have missed my sarcasm there L - I'm sure your assessment of the speakers is spot on and I plan to persevere with them at another store! I believe the failing — if thats what it was — was with the amp and not the two sets of speakers I heard.  The Nad reminded me of an even less capable version of that Primare amp that neither of us much cared for — charmless and sterile. For a $6k amp I'd expect something a whole lot better.  

Edited by buddyev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buddyev said:

I think you might have missed my sarcasm there L - I'm sure your assessment of the speakers is spot on and I plan to persevere with them at another store! I believe the failing — if thats what it was — was with the amp and not the two sets of speakers I heard.  The Nad reminded me of an even less capable version of that Primare amp that neither of us much cared for — charmless and sterile. For a $6k amp I'd expect something a whole lot better.  

Nah, it's all kosher for me mate and don't worry, I am never precious at all.

 

I actually think your assessment of the 300 is astute.

They actually brought on a headache when I heard them, I blamed everything except the speakers but they lack bass and as a result they sound thin, shrill and cold. Even being objective, the $3K I spent on the 500 sis probably equal to the best buy I have made this decade ( along with my  still-in residence B&W CDM 9NT.

I swap them around periodically and love 'em both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rantan said:

Nah, it's all kosher for me mate and don't worry, I am never precious at all.

 

I actually think your assessment of the 300 is astute.

They actually brought on a headache when I heard them, I blamed everything except the speakers but they lack bass and as a result they sound thin, shrill and cold. Even being objective, the $3K I spent on the 500 sis probably equal to the best buy I have made this decade ( along with my  still-in residence B&W CDM 9NT.

I swap them around periodically and love 'em both.

I was told by a sales person that the silver 300’s were designed to be set up in a 5.1 config and hence has less in the low end than the 200s (or the 500’s too I would assume). He said the 200’s have a more even tonal balance than the 300’s which are lacking in bass. 

 

I didnt audition either of these to see for myself. Just 3rd hand info which may support your choice.

 

I did however ever hear the silver 50’s which were just great. Also heard bronze 5’s which I did not rate. Very boomy uncontrolled bass and shrill highs.  I would buy the silver 50’s over bronze 5’s. Want to hear silver 100’s. Hopefully would fill a room better but keep the same tonal balance as the 50’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kasman

 

100% agree mate. I reckon the two best models by far, in the Silver range, are the 100 and the 500. I also agree that the 300 lack bass and it is very interesting to read that they (may ) have designed them this way.

Certainly, it would explain a lot of anomalies that the 300 shouldn't have for 2 channel, but which would work fine for 5.1. Very interesting indeed. It really does complete the jigsaw puzzle.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sitting watching a movie when the sun caught my GS60s. Just thought I would share. 

20191109_170307.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By juleshoolio
      Item: Monitor Audio Silver Centre 
      Price Range: Negotiable 
      Item Condition:  Used
      Extra Info: 
      looking for Centre speaker to match Silver 2 bookshelf speakers 5th Generation.
      Based in Sydney for local pick-up or will pay postage within Aus.
      Open to similar suggestions if not matching. 
      https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/silver-5g/silver-2/
       
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By MAXXX
      Item Condition: used, VGC Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Kardinya State: Western Australia Payment Method: Bank transfer, PayPal Reason for selling: NLR Radius 180HD
      Frequency Response 60 Hz - 35 KHz
      Sensitivity (1W@1M) 87 dB
      Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
      Power Handling (RMS) 60 W
      System Power Handling (RMS) 10 - 100 W
      Recommended Amplifier Requirements 10 - 100 W
      Maximum SPL 105
      Bass Alignment Bass reflex - rear ported
      Drive Unit Complement
      1 x 100mm (4") MMP®II cone mid-bass driver
      1 x 25mm (1") C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
      External Dimensions (H x W x D)
      350 x 125 x 105 mm
       
      Further information:
       
      Photos:
       
       


    • By MAXXX
      Item Condition: Used, VGC Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Kardinya State: Western Australia Payment Method: bank transfer Reason for selling: NLR, upgrade Further information:   https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/radius/radius-270/
      https://youtu.be/UPPQfiOLDOc
       
      The Radius 270 houses a precision-crafted Radius driver system of twin 100 mm (4") C-CAM mid/bass drivers and a 25 mm (1") C-CAM tweeter.
      Technology
      4" C-CAM bass driver - Radius features bass drivers with concave cone profiles, introduced by our top-of-the-range Platinum speakers and applied subsequently to Gold GX. Extensive research and FEA modelling have allowed us to perfect the relationship between the radiating diaphragm and its motor design, introducing larger motor sizes and voice coils for increased excursion, higher power capability and reduced distortion. C-CAM Gold Dome tweeter - optimised to deliver the finest and widest performance within the compact Radius cabinets. It benefits from a more efficient rear-venting design, releasing air trapped and compressed at the back of the tweeter dome, and guiding it around the drive assembly to a rear-loading chamber. HiVe II port design - Straight from Platinum’s design blueprint, the HiVe reflex port makes its Radius debut. It’s shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet. Rifled grooves inside the port help to accelerate the flow and reduce turbulence, so air moves in and out of the port more efficiently, for a faster more dynamic bass response. Single through-bolt driver fixing provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced mid-band clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet. Front and rear ported reflex design   Nominal  Impedance 6 ohms Power Handling Single (RMS) 100 watts System Power Handling (RMS) 150 watts Recommended Amplifier Requirements 40-150 watts Maximum SPL (dBA) 107 Bass Alignment Bass reflex - front and rear ported Driver complement 2 x 4” (100mm) C-CAM® cone bass/mid driver
      1 x 1” (25mm) C-CAM gold dome tweeter Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D) 1000 x 177 x 208mm
      (393/8 x 615/16 x 83/16 Inches) Inc Plinth, Without Spikes Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)
      (Inc Grille & Terminals) 1025 x 177 x 208mm
      >(403/8 x 615/16 x 83/16 Inches) Inc Plinth, With Spikes Weight 9.9kg (21lb 12oz)
      MA radius 180HD centre speaker available (see Home Theatre / Visual).
      Can demo for serious buyers. Local sale preferred but can ship at agreed price (depending on postcode).
      Price already reduced few times (2K speakers).







    • By Erbacher
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Castlecrag (Lower North Shore) State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash, PayPal Reason for selling: Replaced by new centre Further information:  Selling as moved on from my MA Silver 100's to GX100's, love this centre but needed to go to a ribbon tweeter to match. There are some small scuffs in places where it doesn't matter but looks wise its 8.5/10 and it sounds perfect.
        ps://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/silver-rs/rslcr/

       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.







    • By Erbacher
      Item: Monitor Audio Center with ribbon tweeter (gold C150 ideally)
      Price Range: market
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info: If anyone has a center with ribbon tweeters that might match MA GX100's let me know.
       
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
×
×
  • Create New...