ppaul

Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Interesting - looking for something like this to go with my Topaz. They look like really good value. Melbourne hi fi have them for $3619. 

Edited by buddyev

1 minute ago, buddyev said:

Interesting - looking for something like this to go with my Topaz. They look like really good value. Melbourne hi fi have them for $3619. 

HI Russ. I reckon it would be a great match. The 500 are a reasonably easy load and my Class A  Luxman drove them with nonchalant ease. ( PM me if you want to know a better price )

2 hours ago, rantan said:

I auditioned the Silver 500 this week and I am smitten. They have an impressive top-to-bottom sound and truly made everything I played come vividly to life. The presence in the room was spooky and spine tingling.😍

Would love to buy and I am currently trying to work out a way to buy them, but if I can I definitely will do just that.

You’re a naughty boy rantan,  are you directing me to a pair of Silver 500?

i must get to Melb Hifi and have audition these....

23 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

You’re a naughty boy rantan,  are you directing me to a pair of Silver 500?

i must get to Melb Hifi and have audition these....

I am indeed.  I am sitting here is the naughty corner waiting for my Silver 500 to arrive.👀

1 minute ago, rantan said:

I am indeed.  I am sitting here is the naughty corner waiting for my Silver 500 to arrive.👀

Thats Awesome Rantan....  Happy for you!   I need to audition the Bronze 6 and the Silver 500 in that case.

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

Very exciting. 

7 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Thats Awesome Rantan....  Happy for you!   I need to audition the Bronze 6 and the Silver 500 in that case.

Thanks mate. I got a cracking deal and great service from a retailer. I won't mention price here but people are free to PM me for details.

I should add that I have not been so impressed with a speaker for a very long time. I will also say that the Bronze 6 at half the price is probably the value speaker buy on the market.

The Silver is certainly better but the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here, but the good news is that anybody would be chuffed with either of them.

Edited by rantan

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thanks mate. I got a cracking deal and great service from a retailer. I won't mention price here but people are free to PM me for details.

PM sent

Is the Silver 500 the equivalent of the old RX8 in market position and line-up? Price wise it is a bit more expensive without factoring in inflation. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a1aee8f6a7a51714Recently picked up some mint GS60's from a fellow member. Sold my GS20's to my father in law a few years ago and always regretted it. Happy to have some MA's back in the house. 

20190519_093026.jpg

Edited by Braddles 63
Change pic

My Silver 200's.  Love them - especially as have smaller room

956393464_Sne8EIU9RnWADZc9pxldg.thumb.jpg.f64ec5d5c32dc98a3daff7486882a17d.jpg
Frodo, mate. Absolutely love the artwork on the front wall. If that also helps with acoustics. Double the love[emoji2956]

Have not heard this in years.
Good test for the new speakers.
Sounding great so far.[emoji3]1563787490056.jpeg

I auditioned the Silver 500 this week and I am smitten. They have an impressive top-to-bottom sound and truly made everything I played come vividly to life. The presence in the room was spooky and spine tingling.[emoji7]
Would love to buy and I am currently trying to work out a way to buy them, but if I can I definitely will do just that.
How much?

2 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

How much?

PM me for details on price and dealer.

On 21/07/2019 at 5:16 PM, rantan said:

When are you expecting these new babies to arrive home rantan? 

@rantan,

had a listen to the Bronze 6 and the silver 200.   I cannot believe that the amount of bass they produced for the size of the drivers,  the clarity of the 200 is so much more refine and defined.

83041824-56D8-416F-B322-FAEBDB1A68D9.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

had a listen to the Bronze 6 and the silver 200.   I cannot believe that the amount of bass they produced for the size of the drivers,  the clarity of the 200 is so much more refine and defined

It really is quite amazing how such small cabinets really pump out such high quality and extended low end. One would never get an idea of this by just looking. This is what can be done with great design and superb build quality.

Have you decided which one you are buying?

1 hour ago, rantan said:

It really is quite amazing how such small cabinets really pump out such high quality and extended low end. One would never get an idea of this by just looking. This is what can be done with great design and superb build quality.

those Gold 200 in the classifieds are tempting. If they were in Vic I’d buy them. 

@buddyev, just buy them ,you will never regret it (i have RS6 and BX2)

8 hours ago, rantan said:

Im still looking at this point in time, keeping options open.  The Silver 200 are around $900 more, I tell ya what, worth the extra $900 just for the bass.

I played this track:  

When those bass notes struck they filled the room. Left the Bronze 6 wanting! Still not the same impact  as say an 4X 11" Eton Bass driver that im use to but jezuz look at the size on the 200!   Id like to hear the gold or the platinum series but its obvious they came at a cost to the local bricks and mortar, where this store didn't have at the time.

Edited by Addicted to music

What do all you Monitor Audio lovers think about the RS8? Does they hold their own against the newer models? 

I have the opportunity to buy some for a reasonable price but I’m put off by all the frequent review comments that they are bright. 

Any thoughts? 

11 minutes ago, buddyev said:

What do all you Monitor Audio lovers think about the RS8? Does they hold their own against the newer models? 

I have the opportunity to buy some for a reasonable price but I’m put off by all the frequent review comments that they are bright. 

Any thoughts? 

Hey Russ.

The RS 8 are OK, but they have evolved a lot since then with the RX and Silver series being more tonally balanced and much easier to integrate into most systems. MA had a reputation for being bright and shiny which was (somewhat) justified but they are one brand that continually evolves and improves

If it were me, I would wait a while and go for the RX or Silver series, I think you will enjoy them a lot more.

Thanks, Lindsay. Thats pretty much what I decided. I had the opportunity to buy some at a silly price, but buying bargains for the sake of it is just silly. I’ll give it a couple of months to see if something that I really want pops up - if not i’ll buy new. 

20 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Thanks, Lindsay. Thats pretty much what I decided. I had the opportunity to buy some at a silly price, but buying bargains for the sake of it is just silly. I’ll give it a couple of months to see if something that I really want pops up - if not i’ll buy new. 

Always happy to help mate.

I obviously have no idea of your budget but if you can, I would ( and did ) buy the Silver 500.

They are just superb and seamless from top to bottom. Nothing is over (or under ) done and these are the absolute pinnacle of a 40 year evolution in their affordable range and the ones I have been waiting for.

They don't favour any particular music style and are easy to drive (properly ) and would suit a wide range of quality integrated amplifiers of any topography. My Luxman 550 A II drives them easily and I don't mean just loud enough, but with appropriate bass control and an open mid range and top end extending to the horizon. They don't actually sugar coat crappy recordings, but neither will you be left with bleeding ears.

They need about 80+ hours break in and the supplied manual says this clearly. Mine now have about 40 hours on them and  are opening up nicely.

If they are going to go to another lever after 80-100 hours, then I will be one happy camper.

These are just some initial thoughts and I may get around to a better review at some point.