Sign in to follow this  
ppaul

Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

I have the Monitor Audio Silver w-12 subwoofer. Overall very happy with it. The built in room correction works well. Tight punchy bass. Running it with the Yamaha 5600 Dolby atmos sound bar,

5822BF8E-C833-4B83-BAC4-7E3D6E9766EC.jpeg

I have MA GS60's from new in piano black. I love them especially with the isoacoustic feet.

Was thinking of selling for $1500 at one stage but they are just too good to get rid if for that money.

Actually saw a few MA's today in store.....

20190707_110152_resized.thumb.jpg.faf2df256d8164914cb7ab74b34e54a0.jpg

2 hours ago, rodders3 said:

I have MA GS60's from new in piano black. I love them especially with the isoacoustic feet.

Was thinking of selling for $1500 at one stage but they are just too good to get rid if for that money.

Actually saw a few MA's today in store.....

Which store?

On 07/07/2019 at 7:55 PM, rodders3 said:

Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara. 

I bought a pair of AKG Q701 for a bargain price at Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara a few years ago.

Tried out some Bronze 6 today and I was very agreeably surprised. They sound ( and look ) like speakers twice their price and I actually preferred them to the Silver 300.

I know that doesn't make any sense but they were half the price of the Silver 300 and if I were looking to buy I would save the $1400 difference and use the rest for music and/ or a cart upgrade.

On 07/07/2019 at 7:55 PM, rodders3 said:

Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara. 

Ahh nice - you're in Tokyo!

I should have blown up the photos to see the price tags.  :) 

13 minutes ago, rantan said:

Tried out some Bronze 6 today and I was very agreeably surprised. They sound ( and look ) like speakers twice their price and I actually preferred them to the Silver 300.

I know that doesn't make any sense but they were half the price of the Silver 300 and if I were looking to buy I would save the $1400 difference and use the rest for music and/ or a cart upgrade.

You’re not alone in that judgement - @Famo loved them. Interestingly he compares them to his Proac 1s which I bought from him. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-monitor-audio-bronze-6-loudspeakers 

Edited by buddyev

I have MA Bronze's for my combined home theatre and music setup. Bronze 2's and centre up front (with baby cage for toddler protection) and 1's for surrounds. 

My first set proper setup and I love it to bits. Hope to upgrade to Silver's at some point in the future.

20190708_213931.jpg

Edited by GummickAU

3 hours ago, rantan said:

Edited by Addicted to music

I think this is the comparison between Silver 300 vs Bronze 6. Indeed the sound difference is not huge in this setup. The Klipsch had a different sonic signature. 

This second video below shows a little more distinction between Bronze and Silver.

Edited by LHC

What would you expect to pay for a pair of Silver 300's? My brother has been offered a pair 3 months old in perfect condition for $1700. Is that fair?

What would you expect to pay for a pair of Silver 300's? My brother has been offered a pair 3 months old in perfect condition for $1700. Is that fair?
Very fair would jump at it, think they RRP for around $3k

Heard the Silver 100 today.  For what they are they are a superb little stand mount or bookshelf.  I think they present themselves “more detailed’” than the 300.   However st RRP $1600???   Didn’t get a chance to hear the Bronze 6 which is what these are comparing to in price,  they had them boxed up as sold to be delivered and it wouldn’t be fair to get them to inbox them, can always hear a pair when it’s convenient 

1C0BA9C9-0EE5-44B2-9144-89FB9BF3AA9C.jpeg

7479B35F-DD77-4651-8732-1465E67C3D6F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Heard the Silver 100 today.  For what they are they are a superb little stand mount or bookshelf.  I think they present themselves “more detailed’” than the 300.   However st RRP $1600???   Didn’t get a chance to hear the Bronze 6 which is what these are comparing to in price,  they had them boxed up as sold to be delivered and it wouldn’t be fair to get them to unbox them, can always hear a pair when it’s convenient.

Kent at Steve Bennett Hifi in Geelong was really accomodating and I agree with everything he says about the 100 and the 300.  He didn’t have a pair of 500 but prefer that than the 300.

1C0BA9C9-0EE5-44B2-9144-89FB9BF3AA9C.jpeg

7479B35F-DD77-4651-8732-1465E67C3D6F.jpeg

The Silver 500 are superb and are far better in every way compared to the 300.

The 500 is much better balanced and has great top-to bottom integration, whereas the 300 seems to be somewhat too pronounced in the upper mids and treble. This tends to mask the bass and the overall sound is a bit clinical.

The Bronze 6 are  better value and a very system friendly speaker, more so than the 300  and if I wanted to go beyond the capabilities of the Bronze 6, I would go to the Silver 500.

The Silver 300 are still an excellent speaker but the Bronze are just such great value for money, they are hard to resist

Edited by rantan

13 minutes ago, rantan said:

The Silver 500 are superb and are far better in every way compared to the 300.

The 500 is better balanced and has great top-to bottom integration whereas the 300 seems to be somewhat too pronounced in the upper mids and treble. This tends to mask the bass and the overall sound is a bit thin and bright. The Bronze 6 are a better all round speaker than the 300 IMO and if I wanted to go beyond the capabilities of the Bronze 6 ,I would go straight to the Silver 500.

With that said the Silver 300 is still a very good speaker and the difference is only notable in back-to-back testing.   The 300 would require more careful system matching but when you get it right they are still great.

So I need to audition a Bronze 6...  $1700 would be great value.  Like to compare that to that little Silver 100, was really fond on those.   Initially I was impressed with the Bronze 1, I thought they were good but when the Silver 100 they just extracted more details....

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

So I need to audition a Bronze 6...  $1700 would be great value.  Like to compare that to that little Silver 100, was really fond on those.   Initially I was impressed with the Bronze 1, I thought they were good but when the Silver 100 they just extracted more details....

The Bronze are designed more as an everyman speaker and the Silver series is more detailed/refined and are aimed at a customer who may want to upgrade from budget Elac, Wharfedale and Q Acoustics etc.

As with many things there is a trade off.

The Bronze are easier to live with and system match, are slightly warmer, more amplifier friendly and have a larger scale of sound where the Silver 300 are more detailed and refined but don't have the same boogie factor.

The Bronze 6 can be bought for under $1600 if you shop around and the Silver 300 are selling around $2800. Enough of a gap to make someone think about what they want in a speaker.

I have had these Silver 8’s from new. Sound and build quality is exceptional.
They sound great with my Cambridge CXA80 amp, but when being powered through my Perreaux power amp they really come to life.
IMG_4251.jpg

Edited by Rustee

I have a pair of RS1’s I bought in 2008.  I now use them in my second system which is mainly used for TV watching.  I drive them with a Yamaha RX-A1020.

I still use them to stream music from Deezer through a Yamaha WXC50 and I still enjoy them.

My Silver 200's.  Love them - especially as have smaller room

Sne8EIU9RnWADZc9%pxldg.jpg

I auditioned the Silver 500 this week and I am smitten. They have an impressive top-to-bottom sound and truly made everything I played come vividly to life. The presence in the room was spooky and spine tingling.😍

Would love to buy and I am currently trying to work out a way to buy them, but if I can I definitely will do just that.

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

I auditioned the Silver 500 this week and I am smitten. They have an impressive top-to-bottom sound and truly made everything I played come vividly to life. The presence in the room was spooky and spine tingling.😍

Would love to buy and I am currently trying to work out a way to buy them, but if I can I definitely will do just that.

What amp did you hear them with, R? 

39 minutes ago, buddyev said:

What amp did you hear them with, R? 

Initially, I heard them with a garden variety Cambridge CX 80, which was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Subsequently, I took my Luxman to the shop and that was/is when the magic unfolded.

The source was their Cambridge CXN which was a huge and very agreeable surprise, enough to make me consider just using vinyl and Spotify/streaming.

For me this was a real apostasy and I can see a CXN in my life reasonably soon.