Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

If I was going to have HT only setup, then I would seriously consider 3 vertically aligned GS LCRs across the front. Partnered with a high quality sub or 2 (SVS PB13 ultra, JL Fathom, Velo DD or something of the like) I think it would make for tremendously rewarding experience being a fully sealed design offering startling clarity and detail, with all the pace and precision that a sealed design offers. I am perhaps more in to the music side of things and the 60s were the speaker for me. I look forward to firing them up every day and have withdrawls when I haven't been listening as much as I would like.

I can certainly echo Petetherock's sentiments regarding run in of GS speakers. I have had mine just under 6 weeks now and subtle changes are still taking place.

My ears getting used to the sound?....I don't think so, I can play music at higher volumes now without a care in the world. Cymbal crashes etc now are noticibly smoother and better integrated and the bottom end is still surprising me.

The 60s (IMO) benefit from 200w plus of power, I havent done a comparo with anything else but a speaker that has a power handling rating of 250w will probably enjoy lots of watts and current on tap. I don't think using an AVR as power source for these will do them justice.

It sounds strange, but as soon as I tightened up all the driver screws, definition and spaciousness as far as image was concerned improved and sounded less 'congested'

They have given me so much enjoyment (just looking at them too ;) ) and thats the main thing.

Cheers

Out of curiosity have you looked into the cost of this in the perth area? and what sort of services do they provide?

I know Franin got professional audio calibration done for his HT room by Home Theatre Engineering. It cost around $600 but it was a throrough exercise and he was very happy with the results. He posted a thread about it awhile back.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...dio+calibration

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ration&st=0

Edited by Felix.

I know Franin got professional audio calibration done for his HT room by Home Theatre Engineering. It cost around $600 but it was a throrough exercise and he was very happy with the results. He posted a thread about it awhile back.

I don't believe I realised it was that expensive. I guess I was thinking it would be comparable to a video calibration which one can usually get for around 1/2 that. Not something one would do more than once.

$600 sounds like money well spent.. no point spending decent money on equipment then having it setup in a bad sounding room..

might have to get them to come out to my place when i'm further along with my setup and do some calibrating and determine which acoustic treatment I'll need to fix my room..

$600 sounds like money well spent.. no point spending decent money on equipment then having it setup in a bad sounding room..

might have to get them to come out to my place when i'm further along with my setup and do some calibrating and determine which acoustic treatment I'll need to fix my room..

Yeah it sounds like those guys from HTE really know what they're doing so I'm sure it would be worth getting done at some point, particularly with all the great gear you have.

I've had my setup for almost 2 years now.

Fronts: MA RS8's

Centre: RS-LCR

Rears: Radius 45's (little cubes).

Sub: SVS PB12+

Source: HTPC or DVD player

AVR: Yamaha AVR-800

Amp: Vincent SAV-P200 (6x200W - real Watts!! )

Video: Epson TW600 onto 92" fixed screen.

Initially, I just had the Yammy AVR and wasn't pleased at all, as it was boomy and tinny at the same time, and dialogue during movies was hard to hear. I then added some room damping behind the seating position which helped heaps (fixed the slap echo between front & back walls). Although the yammy still sounds a bit ordinary for my setup.

I then added the Amp and it has also helped (at least in my totally subjective opinion) and dialogue at lower listening levels is quite good.

I'm looking forward to getting a new AVR/Pre-Pro though as i know the AVR is my weakest link at present.

At the time of purchase i was tossing up between Neuphonix's and the RS8's, but the Krix were just a bit too loose in the bass for my liking.

All in all, i'm very happy with the quality of sound from the speakers, and i know that they will improve along with the rest of my system over time (ie, they won't be a weak link for quite some time).

Initially, I just had the Yammy AVR and wasn't pleased at all, as it was boomy and tinny at the same time, and dialogue during movies was hard to hear. I then added some room damping behind the seating position which helped heaps (fixed the slap echo between front & back walls). Although the yammy still sounds a bit ordinary for my setup.

I then added the Amp and it has also helped (at least in my totally subjective opinion) and dialogue at lower listening levels is quite good.

I'm looking forward to getting a new AVR/Pre-Pro though as i know the AVR is my weakest link at present.

At the time of purchase i was tossing up between Neuphonix's and the RS8's, but the Krix were just a bit too loose in the bass for my liking.

All in all, i'm very happy with the quality of sound from the speakers, and i know that they will improve along with the rest of my system over time (ie, they won't be a weak link for quite some time).

nice set-up there wacko02, especially the vincent amp - not surprised it made an improvement!

interesting you mention initially you found them boomy as well but that it was an acoustics issue. i wonder if that could have also been the issue simon6273 had.

nice set-up there wacko02, especially the vincent amp - not surprised it made an improvement!

interesting you mention initially you found them boomy as well but that it was an acoustics issue. i wonder if that could have also been the issue simon6273 had.

my room is kind of rectangular with the system going across the short sides, rather than the long. The 2 walls (front & back) are ~4m apart with sitting position against the back wall, and speakers about 30cm out from the front wall, which isn't ideal, but what can ya do!

The slap echo was REALLY bad in this room without treatment and I had my Centre channel +5 dB to be able to work out dialogue, and I was initially very disappointed that new speakers didn't fix this (a lesson there for many!), but once I purchased 8 600x600x45mm accoustic foam panels and put them up behind the seating position, things got a lot better. I experimented first with hanging a doona up on the wall which also worked (temporary of course), so at least I knew that accoustics was the problem and not the equipment.

There is still room for improvement, as i need to put a couple behind the speakers themselves, but haven't got round to that yet.

* and yes that Vincent is a beast (43kg!), but was had at a very special price, so it's a keeper!. :D

Edited by Wacko02

Hi there,

I was wondering how you find the radius 45's for rears. I have been planning to add the RS FX for rears but I'd be tempted by a cheaper option seeing as most of the time they wont be in use.

Re: Tightening of hex screws on clamp rings on front baffle of GS speakers.

This issue/tip was raised by broke in an earlier thread in regards his GS60's, http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...20&start=20, and Dissociative (GS20's) and DarrenW (GSW12) also checked and reported 'less than tight' hex screws.

That made me sit up and take notice. Today i finally got my hands on a 3mm Allen Key and tonight i checked my GS10's and found every hex screw on both speakers could be easily be tightened almost half a turn. (I couldn't check the screws in the tweeter face plates, but will do that when i get around to buying a star key set).

I was skeptical of hearing much, or any, difference but was surprised with the difference (improvement) i heard.

I encourage others GS owners to check this out ... with the usual YMMV caveat.

It might also apply to Silver and Bronze series speakers ? I going to pass this tip on to one of my mates who has a pair of RS1's.

Prolly applies to other speaker brands as well.

G'night all.

Re: Tightening of hex screws on clamp rings on front baffle of GS speakers.

Prolly applies to other speaker brands as well.

You're right, Ed!

Checked the drivers on my centre speaker(Krix Centrix), and all three driver's mounting screws were about a quarter turn loose.

Different tool this time, a T20 Torx driver required........

Definately dont want the driver baskets vibrating away on the front baffle, should be a ridgid interface. Also, a possible source of air leaks.

Regards,

Darren

snip ....

The 60s (IMO) benefit from 200w plus of power, I havent done a comparo with anything else but a speaker that has a power handling rating of 250w will probably enjoy lots of watts and current on tap. I don't think using an AVR as power source for these will do them justice.

It sounds strange, but as soon as I tightened up all the driver screws, definition and spaciousness as far as image was concerned improved and sounded less 'congested' .... snip

broke that doesn't sound strange to me, cos' i heard the same :o .

After getting home last night, i turned system on and let it run for an hour, then sat down, lights dimmed, and listened to one test track (Steely Dan: "Gaslighting Abbey") carefully. Then lights on, tightened all hex screws, lights dimmned again, pressed play on the same track, same volume, and no alcohol (nor other). The improvements i heard were significant and the words i scribbled down last night were: focus, perceived loudness (dynamics), separation, height !!, width !, live, lively, coherent.

Hardly a full on double blind test but left me in no doubt that it was beneficial. Was only listening at around 70 dB (C, slow) but everthing sounded great, very dynamic, head nodding, feet tapping.

Can't wait to my next listening session.

Well gotta run, off to airport to pick up my Mum in Law.

Ed

Thought I'd add and say I am very happy with my monitor audio speakers - I have the silver range. Had the rear Bronze FX speakers...changing them to the Silver FX made a noticible difference :) Don't think I'll be needing to upgrade my speakers for a long time yet....never thought I'd say that :) Very happy with the sub and receiver also.

Panansonic 50" Plasma

Sony PS3

Oppo 971

Denon 3808

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Fronts

Monitor Audio Silver LCR Centre

Monitor Audio Silver RSFX Dipole Rears

SVS PB12-NSD

Kordz cabling all round

• 2 weeks later...
Guest braddles63

Just picked up a pair of near new RS6 for $800.00. Must say my first impression are very good for the price.

Have always owned Vintage Polk Audio Monitor 12's since new (1990) and have been looking around for something different to try.

Got 2 young kids so money is always an issue but i thought this was a no brainer at this price. I can always on sell them. At this early stage i dont think they will be going anywhere as im pretty impressed. Im just running them for the rest of the week and i'll do a proper test on the weekend.

Running them with my Marantz CD6002 / Bel Canto S300IU combo.

I have asked this before of MA, no harm warming up the speakers, but other variables are more important. The difference is only a few degrees, its not like winter vs summer.

The rubber surround, the electronics and other components like your CD and amp will matter more.

Hi MA speakers owners...

Was wondering, will MA speakers have issues when using in air con room?

As both the tweeter and woofer are made of metal... Will the cold affect the sound?

TIA.

I have asked this before of MA, no harm warming up the speakers, but other variables are more important. The difference is only a few degrees, its not like winter vs summer.

The rubber surround, the electronics and other components like your CD and amp will matter more.

OK Pete, noted. Thanks for the reply.

Usually on at 24C.

Any difference when using them on this temp and normal room temp?

24 deg C is also considered normal room temp.  Off course you will hear better sound in aircond room. Not that the equipment sounds different, but the aircond room is normally enclosed so you reduce environment noise significantly, unless your AC is noisy.... Besides, you don't feel sweaty, you feel more comfortable and therefore you can enjoy music more.  ;)

24 deg C is also considered normal room temp.  Off course you will hear better sound in aircond room. Not that the equipment sounds different, but the aircond room is normally enclosed so you reduce environment noise significantly, unless your AC is noisy.... Besides, you don't feel sweaty, you feel more comfortable and therefore you can enjoy music more.  ;)

Hi synthesis, thanks for the reply too. ;)

As I mentioned in another thread, just broke out my RS6s last night and surprisingly no hint of brightness. Played again this morning at high volume and also no brightness.

It may be the amp I am using (NAD 3130) or the source Pioneer 969 DVDP (which I'm currently using as CDP) but it was nonetheless surprising to observe after all the concerns about the RS being bright.