Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest jonlee

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/

bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive.

sorry to ask wats is the term bright means???

Guest jonlee

change them...if warm is not your cup of tea.  ;)

to all those who seem to frown upon the whatever so called bright speakers, so may i ask what do you use to pair up with your warm / thick sounding amps or cd players ;D

Yes.

BTW I was really impressed with the Triangle Comete some years back. Partnered them with a NAD C 370 and a Rotel RCD - 961, superb combination.

Pace, bass and rythym.

One will only realise the different characteristics of speakers when he/she listens to different type of speakers together with the same setup.

Brightness...wait till u hear triangle.

Bros, there is a much bigger picture lar. You also need to look at high power levels as well with regards to distortion (and the better if H2/H3 graphs are listed). Some tweeters have pretty bad dissonance H3/H5 distortion. A H2 rise at just 4kHz mound can give false-air type of sound at 8kHz but still not exactly edgy, while a H3 would very pretty bad and detected as brightness at 12kHz even at lower levels. This never shows up with the typical measurement published specs, btw....but most DIYers would know the traits.

Tube amps at the higher ranges are not warm. Some guy commented that the tube amp should not sound like that, so clear and highs so sharp, it should sound mong mong type. What he heard does not sound correct to him. But little did he know that he was commenting on an Audionote! The huge myraid of MIC amps are usually voiced with caps and circuitry, the OPTs would not be able to show the traits of the tube and anyway the tube represents a small portion of the whole signature. As many of you have the thinking that tubes are warm, you will always think that it is warm and never extended and so do the corresponding matching.

I am not sure if you guys have the opportunity to listen to the R2904/7000, on axis it has a rising peak similar to MA tweeters above 10k. Yes you can hear that it is "extended" but it is never edgy.

Many have heard Synthesis's 9700, is it extended? And even then it depends on the caps and levelling in the xover, and to some extent the baffle design and BSC (if any) employed.

I can write more but lets leave it at here. Enjoy the hifi.   ;D

BTW, some bros are attracted to the MA esp the RS 6 after it won a few awards such as from What Lo Fi, and also because MA prices are rather attractive compared to say the B/W.

But you need to be happy with it. I owned it before and I found the sound appealing, but it has its faults. Forget those awards and use your EARS.

Also demo showroom is pretty bright and is made worse by the choice of songs the sales person prefers to use and his choice of amps. As it has been mentioned before, it does not mean a tube amp is infinitely warmer than a SS amp.

I brought my own amp down to audition before I made my choice.

RS6 maybe a bright speaker but with right matching of equipment, it could produce warm sound as commented by a member below from other forum.

'Quote'

I'm running a Sony PS3 through Marantz SR8002 through Monitor Audio RS6 + RS-FX + RS1 + RS-LCR + PSW 12. (and off to a JVC-HD1 projector)

Sounds great. Substantially more power and presence than my old Marantz SR-96 amp. Lots of slam but also detail and it is the usual Marantz warm sound. Good match for MA speakers than can sound a little harsh with a bright amp.

'Unquote'

Just replaced my RS1 with BR2s today and am quite happy with the change. The RS1s is quite fatiguing and painful in the head after 2 hours of listening while the BR2's have a silky smooth top end and nice bass.

Now I can listen to sweet jazz music for hours without my ears going crazy  :)

Bro Selwyn quite surprise u switch from Rs1 to Br2 :o..I using both Rs1(Front) and Br2(side) now....frankly i suppose Rs1 sounds better than Br2 but i did try switching front to side and vice versa but i still cant hear the difference in both models except Rs1 sounds abit more "sharp" maybe i havent run in finish my speakers properly yet  :P

Most people will think I'm crazy  ;D but based from my analysis on my current setup, the RS1s do have better resolution and clarity overall but its just too bright and sharp for longer listening sessions. Jazz sax and higher notes of vocals becomes too painful in the ears when listening at louder volumes.

Speed what amp and cd player you using? I have a feeling that my CA amp and cdp is slightly on the brighter side which makes the sharpness more obvious.

Oh i see.....notice yr setup is more of stereo and mine is HT....perhaps tats why u choose to use Br2 .....mine is HT setup thus i cant reali tell the diff btw the 2 models....i buy RS1 for front becuz my thinking is RS1 cosier than Br2 so shld be better in terms of SQ lol.....but GS10 is a beauty in terms of looks and SQ compare to rs1 and br2 add together...too bad the price tag also beautiful.... :D

My CA 340C CDP is brighter than Rotel RCD-02. I try to tame it using Chord Cobra3 & Belden 1313A. Helps a little  :P

I have a feeling that my CA amp and cdp is slightly on the brighter side which makes the sharpness more obvious.

Bro bring your BR and RS over, then see how they sound with a legacy amp and 7.1 setup...

I think they deserve a good amp

Come talk to me...

Oh i see.....notice yr setup is more of stereo and mine is HT....perhaps tats why u choose to use Br2 .....mine is HT setup thus i cant reali tell the diff btw the 2 models....i buy RS1 for front becuz my thinking is RS1 cosier than Br2 so shld be better in terms of SQ lol.....but GS10 is a beauty in terms of looks and SQ compare to rs1 and br2 add together...too bad the price tag also beautiful.... :D

Just replaced my RS1 with BR2s today and am quite happy with the change. The RS1s is quite fatiguing and painful in the head after 2 hours of listening while the BR2's have a silky smooth top end and nice bass.

Now I can listen to sweet jazz music for hours without my ears going crazy  :)

Hi, I thought RS1 has a deeper bass? I like techno and fast bass/ drums. edward recommended rs1 instead of br2.

Hmm..now mb i should go audition again

I think if you do not need the insightful tweeter of the Rs series, which can also be bright, the BR series offers a slightly warmer sonic signature.

The BR 2 has quite decent bass and for the money that you speond on the RS1, you can also consider the BR4 floorstander which will be quite well suit to your taste of music.

But of course, listen to it and decide if this is for you.

My opinion may not be what you feel about the RS vs the BR

Cheers

Hi, I thought RS1 has a deeper bass? I like techno and fast bass/ drums. edward recommended rs1 instead of br2.

• 1 month later...

When I first got these, the dealer warned me about their brash nature on setting up.

Now after about 3-4 months usage in music and HT, their sonic qualities have taken a totally new dimension.

No one who has come over has actually mentioned that they were bright (probably partly due to the work I did on my room) and now the speakers are coming into their own now.

Some also believe our ears get used to the sound, but I do think that running in is essentially to get the best out of the speakers.

My old Dynaudios actually come to life only after 6 months. So some patience is needed

Pity they will be silent for a week... :)

Lolz....I remember when i bought his DIY interconnect from Eward about 2 weeks ago, he ask me wat speaker i am using....and when i told him Bronze 2....he ask me throw away....lousy speaker. Ask me to get RS1 instead cos simply the best.....haha. But then again....i find no fault with my speaker....so why should i change lei....lolz ;D

Hi all bros,

I find that the RS6 sounds a little bright. Any bros have suggestion on how to "tame" the brightness?

i am now using RS6 with Naim CD5i cdp and Naim NAIT 5i amp, chord company cobra6 interconnect with chord company rumour 2 spker cables.

btw, my choice of music is acoustic jazz.

thanks a lot

I find that the RS6 sounds a little bright. Any bros have suggestion on how to "tame" the brightness?

One way is to change the speaker to a warmer sounding one...  ;D 

In relation to Voodo tweak thread, try to cover the tweeter with thin tissue paper... Klenex is the best!  ;D

But seriously there are few ways to tame down the brightness but the more proper way is to build a system that don't give serious problem at the first place. Any offending component, take out from equation rather than applying bandaid here and there.  ;)