Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Other speaker manufacturers are also using tweeters made of metal (e.g. Magnesium, Aluminum Beryllium etc.). Wouldn't they sound as harsh at the top end?  ???

To me, it's hearing it and judging it yourself. Some things does not make sense. If it works for me, it works.

For example, some people say that it is no good to put those cheap rubber dampers (from DIY shops) between the bookshelf speakers and the stand. It works for me.

It's subjective...

If you want to discuss on technology, I guess there are many reason why certain speakers perform better than another. Given that our ears don't hear beyond 20 kHz. Technically speaking, we should not be looking at tweets that go beyond the 20 kHz (ie, Beryllium, Focal's inverted dome, etc) But this is not the case.

End of the day, it's how stable the tweets and how it can deliver a consistent and accurate high frequency. More can be read here - http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/technologies/tbe-tweeter.html

The brightness that people hear are probably distortion. By using something "warm" to cover it sounds a little strange to me. Personally, I will prefer to have the speakers replaced.

Other speaker manufacturers are also using tweeters made of metal (e.g. Magnesium, Aluminum Beryllium etc.). Wouldn't they sound as harsh at the top end?  ???

It depends on design and application. Focal tweeter doesn't sound harsh to me. Some soft dome tweeter can sound sharper to ears than metallic tweeter.

Its been a couple of weeks, and the speakers feel smoother. Plus the paring with the Rega Planet was a good decision if I may say so...

They complement each other and I would say anyone contemplating the GS would do well to find a smooth source with a warm to neutral amp to cool the treble. Having said that, very few of the folks who listened to my gig complained about the treble even after I drew attention to it.

The LCR also makes an excellant and sexy centre. Its not light, but it yields great dividends in sound, able to carry off the ABC and BBC male voice (my litmus test for a centre) nicely with conviction and there is a pretty seamless front soundstage with the GS 10 and LCR.

Maybe somebody can sprinkle some pixie dust and turn MA to become a warm sounding speaker...  ;D

Just my two cents' worth... I own a pair of MA Silver 9i speakers. If I connect them to my Harman Kardon AVR amp, they tend to sound a little brighter (listening to Dire Straits's Money For Nothing guitar track)t. But when I paired them with a tube pre (VTL) with solid state amps (biamp monoblocks), the sound tip slightly to the warm side. Amps and preamps matter when matching with speakers. Speaker cables also play some difference. I am currently using Alpha Core Goertz Mi2 for the tweeter and mids which gives a smoother treble. Tried replacing with Kimber 8TC, and the sound lean towards relatively brighter.

Different materials, different design (like more/less ferrofluid etc)....different sound. Believe it or not, the same thing goes on for pro-audio and somewhat vintage drivers too, in the compression driver arena.

But basically even for midrange, you need to notch out the offending element in the xover. MA did not do that for the nearly 10dB peak in the high treble. You like it, or you hate it. Same goes for even high-end drivers like Seas Excel which is widely documented that if you are anal you will need notching even though you have a high order slope....so on and so forth. (actually, you just read the graph and it is so darn obvious esp for off-axis response!). Its not harsh, its difficult to pinpoint as sometimes it borders on personal preferences and music genre selection which may aggravate or tame the problem, and also the SPL played (some music simply cannot make it on da speakers).

Whether or not this "signature" is your cup of tea, I leave it to the guys.   :)   Audio often revolves ard, that's why the Buy n Sell section exists and dealers make money.

Interested parties can PM me for discussion, as I am not inclined to reveal more online for open discussion.    :)

Like i told Blackburn earlier before, some actually like a higher Q bass which sounds more relaxed, some actually like the 2nd harmonics (bass guitars instrument drivers sounds ok for this, but hey for subwoofer?) and do not like low Qts bass drivers in subs, believe it or not.

PS Synthesis, not sure about the lower end Focals, but the inverted Toxoids TC90/120s, again either you love it or you hate it.   ;D

At the end of the day, its about the simple adage, partner your equipment well.

You cannot simply put together something without understanding their sonic signature.

With my MA GS 10, I have used cables, room treatment and matching of source to achieve a wonderful sound. Choose the system wisely.

Hi Peter,

I have had the GS10's (walnut finish) as my front L/R speakers for around 18 months now, in a smallish 4m x 4.5m dedicated 'theatre' room. Current set up is Marantz SR4200 pre-outed to a 2 x 200W NAD power amp to drive the GS10's. Main source is CD's via a Cambridge Audio 840C. Pretty happy with SQ and with some disc's (eg. MUGISON Lonely Mountain; DEEP FOREST) really demo what the GS10's can do with sound imaging.

Ed

Just added a new tweak...

I swopped out my 28" Atacamas for a pair I just got which are 24" high. This put the tweeter below my ear level when I am seated, so the high frequencies do not radiate directly into my ears.

This helps the treble and makes it less hot a tad more.

Not bad for a $80 second hand tweak...

Edited by petetherock

One more synergistic tweak...

The combination of the GS 10 plus the SVS PB 12 + at the one foam plug 16Hz tune is really nice!

I place my subwoofer quite far from the walls, and it allows a decent bass without too much excitement of the room nodes and the bass remains tight and rythymic. The bonus is the muscial integration actually also helps to make the sonic signature less treble happy and give more body to the mids and there is defintely more underpinning the music without a slow draggy note.

Those with SVS and other subs may wish to try this for their 'hot' speakers.

At the demo session, a very nice mate brought over his Focus Audio 68 standmounts.

We placed this on the Atacama SE 28 stands, hooked it up with QED XT tube 300, and Xindak jumpers and fed it with the Rega Planet 2000 through the Marantz SR 12.

This beast was elegantly made, with maple gloss finish, high quality build quality and a sight to behold.

Costing about 4k or so, it was another more speaker. More resolution, insight into the music and deatil. It was also harder to drive and would benefit from higher current amps. But here in lies the thing, it would most defintely benefit from a good Stereo amp. My AV setup was not doing it justice enough, even with a Reference series amp.

I would suggest a Music Fidelity X ray series or a Cyrus 8 series (plus PSU if possible) to partner. It runs a tad bright as well so I would stay away from ICE amps, digital stuff and even venture to suggest staying away from Amercian muscle amps. It extends itself a little more in the bass as well.

Having listened to the B/W 805 a little earlier this month, I like the more ful bodies sound of the 805 a little more, but as it was in a diffferent room with diffferent electronics and sources, thats not fair.

But it reminds me of the Dynaudios I owned, but in a more refined fashion. It also reminded me that if you have cheap electronics and partnering equipment, there is a finite limit to how much more I wish to spend on my speakers.

The MA GS 10s were perhaps a better partner, to the more modest AV based audio setup I run. and adding the SVS to underpin the bass plus the Rega Planet, the system had come into its own and sound pretty alright.

Alright enough for another guest to whispher that it sound good. And this comes from someone who owns JM Electras... I am honored... :)

Will write a bit more about the night the MA GS 10 faced off against some fine speakers at Francis' place later but in summary the MA GS 10 was worse off in the given setup against the super speakers presented there. I had a fond memory of synthesis' home made brew.

Other speakers which faired well in my reviewing were the Dynaudio 52Se driven by a Roksan setup and the B/W 805

for more comparisons I wrote my listening notes here:

Speakers 3-5k

http://www.echoloft.com/hifi-forum/index.php?topic=13513.0

• 4 weeks later...

A recent exchange and some comments posted, some by myself on the brightness of the tweeters of the MAs in general have got some bros calling or pm me to ask if their purchases are a mistake.

Funny thing is, they had no issues with them until we wrote about the brightness ;)

Anyway, I like MAs and their sonic signature. But I would be the first to declare that they tend towards the exciting side of the business. Hence you really need to audition them with your own kit to decide. For HT they make for a fun ride and will entertain to no end, esp since we like a more detailed and exciting sound for it.

But if background listening is your cup of tea and silky smooth sounds, then you may wish to explore brands like Spendor etc.

MAs are not the typical British sound.

A recent sale of MA speakers got some owners worried. Just enjoy your speakers bros, to each his own. In fact to some others, the MAs are too polite and not bright enough!

Caveat emptor as always.

Guest jonlee

One will only realise the different characteristics of speakers when he/she listens to different type of speakers together with the same setup.

Brightness...wait till u hear triangle.