Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

good ot read you guys are enjoying them, my only encounter, with the gold signature series, has been with the GS60 floorstander back here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=48550

Yep Al that thread was a motivation for me to audition the MAs in the first place. Obviously I'm very glad now that I did.

I will post some detailed thoughts and pics of my new set-up shortly on that thread I created in the HT subforum a while back. I'm just waiting on a couple of final components to arrive in the next few weeks including the SR7002 and Elektra. :wub:

BTW if you get the GS and Marantz from Singapore, you save a pile... the weight will kill shipping costs, but if you have mates over there coming over or you fly there often, then you save heaps.

Yes I've been keeping abreast of your Buy Singapore thread for some time. Too late on my existing MAs but I certainly will consider the Singapore option if I buy any more MA gear. I thought long and hard about importing the 7002 from Singapore as Lyle and D.G. would know. I ended up going the local route but is was a very tough call indeed.

Just a thought, Felix, you may wish to try the Gs without the aid of the power amp first, the sound might be excellant and warmer than with the power amp?

Also leaving the grills on just tames things tad more for me?

Finally I am just wondering if anyone ever did any research into variations in speaker sounds esp for metal cones with seasons and their temperature change? (might ask this in a different thread too)

So how does it compare to the RS?

So for those watching on the sidelines, this is for you.

In short let me use another analogy….

The RS 6 is a well made Honda Civic, dependable with a spritely engine, well made and a decent all-rounder, which can give you many hours of fun both for HT and audio and if your other partnering equipment stops at the mid-range level, then this will be nice. If you have a larger living room, and can deal with a slightly boomy bass, then stay with this and it will reward you with an exciting sound that will enthral you especially in HT.

It has some unruly bits, and like the Honda is quite refined compared to others in its price range but the GS takes things to a different level….

What the GS brings to the table is refinement and detail in spades. You move from the Civic to a Lexus, not only in finish but also in general refinement of music. Your balance is more balanced, with almost an equal interest in audio as well as HT. you roam the audio forums just as often as the HT section and strive to hear more from your source and milk the best out of your CDs. Yet you are not ready to surrender the seduction of HT and will also use it in HT.

This the GS can also do adroitly and the main difference is in the LCR.

The LCR from the RS series is smaller and uses a smaller woofer cone. So it tends to work better in ‘small’ as compared to the GS, which is heavier with a more substantial cabinet and a larger pair of woofers. The voicing in larger scale movies and the energy it conveys is a notch up. The weak link in the RS armor is the LCR.

The absolutely stunning piano gloss finish is literally the icing on the cake… so your call…

Last week, accidentially or rather coincidentally bumped into Precision Audio and also bumped into Edward demo-ing Platinum to a customer. (ahem) not trying to sour grape, esp. it is hefty >$10,000, it sounds boomy  :-\  By Look & Feel, I really like GS20 - but it is a whoopy $3,000 (or is it MORE), after discount  :'(  At the moment, I am still NATO. Need to get an off-day to bring in my Audiolab to audition wif GS20 and RS8 (ard $1,700). But again, Edward's mood does sway anytime, anywhere  :-\

Platinum 300 review:

Best to ask around and see who has MA GS 20s and audition at their homes.

Edward's setup is good to his ears and knowing him, he does not take well to alternatives. He also has a bunch of friends who visit him and talk throughout the demo, so call ahead to check if he is alone.

I know tsphua on this forum has PL 300s.

To have so call "moods" for a professional salesman is a BIG no no.

To be very frank, recently I am one of the potential customers whom PA has lost due to his "moods".

I am sure PA has no lack of customers or followers (mainly due to brands like MA & Cayin) but in the long run, this will be "detrimental" in business sense.

The other thing which I felt is not right is to "bad mouth" other brands which he is not carrying/selling. It's perfectly ok to promote or even boast how good what U r selling but how will the customer feel when he/she owns one or multiple brands which the salesman condemned ?

Last week, accidentially or rather coincidentally bumped into Precision Audio and also bumped into Edward demo-ing Platinum to a customer. (ahem) not trying to sour grape, esp. it is hefty >$10,000, it sounds boomy  :-\  By Look & Feel, I really like GS20 - but it is a whoopy $3,000 (or is it MORE), after discount  :'(  At the moment, I am still NATO. Need to get an off-day to bring in my Audiolab to audition wif GS20 and RS8 (ard $1,700). But again, Edward's mood does sway anytime, anywhere  :-\

Think I oredi siah 一大半.

Mayb if I accidentally pass by PA, will sound him off whether I could bring in my Audiolab to audition. If he shows color, guess I will give it a pass. I dun pay money to torture myself  >:(  esp. I have least patience wif cocky sales ppl.

Edward's setup is good to his ears and knowing him, he does not take well to alternatives. He also has a bunch of friends who visit him and talk throughout the demo,

I think U can forget about it. If he doesn't even want to demo his other products that are on display but not connected, do U think he is willing to do so with your own equipment ?  ::)

Customers should really boycott this type of sales person & make them realize that we customers r the ones who r contributing to their pay cheques. They r cocky bcos they thinks that they products r so good that customers will have to go back to them & cannot buy the brand they carry elsewhere.

Think I oredi siah 一大半.

Mayb if I accidentally pass by PA, will sound him off whether I could bring in my Audiolab to audition. If he shows color, guess I will give it a pass. I dun pay money to torture myself  >:(  esp. I have least patience wif cocky sales ppl.

Guest francis woo

If you are really keen on hearing the MAs, I suggest you visit their Katong Branch at Roxy.  Alan is easy to deal with and will accommodate yr request if you give him a call to let him know what you want....good luck.

So how does it compare to the RS?

So for those watching on the sidelines, this is for you.

In short let me use another analogy….

The RS 6 is a well made Honda Civic, dependable with a spritely engine, well made and a decent all-rounder, which can give you many hours of fun both for HT and audio and if your other partnering equipment stops at the mid-range level, then this will be nice. If you have a larger living room, and can deal with a slightly boomy bass, then stay with this and it will reward you with an exciting sound that will enthral you especially in HT.

It has some unruly bits, and like the Honda is quite refined compared to others in its price range but the GS takes things to a different level….

What the GS brings to the table is refinement and detail in spades. You move from the Civic to a Lexus, not only in finish but also in general refinement of music. Your balance is more balanced, with almost an equal interest in audio as well as HT. you roam the audio forums just as often as the HT section and strive to hear more from your source and milk the best out of your CDs. Yet you are not ready to surrender the seduction of HT and will also use it in HT.

This the GS can also do adroitly and the main difference is in the LCR.

The LCR from the RS series is smaller and uses a smaller woofer cone. So it tends to work better in ‘small’ as compared to the GS, which is heavier with a more substantial cabinet and a larger pair of woofers. The voicing in larger scale movies and the energy it conveys is a notch up. The weak link in the RS armor is the LCR.

The absolutely stunning piano gloss finish is literally the icing on the cake… so your call…

a great comparison there pete ! wil lbe very useful I reckon for people contemplating either range.

Now we just need a good local comparison with the Platinum series - and when you talk about the centre speaker look at the difference in size Article here side by side comparison on page 26.

interesting stephen, the platinums look like quite a step up again. though interesting the departure from the gold metal dome of the MAs which have been a something theyve used for years to go to the ribbons on the pltinum series.

Tats COOL  ;)  May I know on which level ? Tks

If you are really keen on hearing the MAs, I suggest you visit their Katong Branch at Roxy.  Alan is easy to deal with and will accommodate yr request if you give him a call to let him know what you want....good luck.

Cheers

IMO those looking at HT purely, can stop at the RS series amd miss very little. But I an a keen advocate of dipole surrounds, they work very nicely in HT.

The GS is more for those who have audio inclinations. The PL is a little too rarified... Even the bookshelf speaker is too costly for me.

BTW Precision Audio (adelphi) in Singapore is retailing the GS 10 for about SIN$ 17xx before tax, and they do shipping to Oz too...

At 8.5kg a piece you can carry them over too...

To have so call "moods" for a professional salesman is a BIG no no.

To be very frank, recently I am one of the potential customers whom PA has lost due to his "moods".

its funny... but time again, tis thing about PA comes up...i make a oath to myself never step into his shop again, i was a victim of one of "moods", went there with $ in my pocket all ready to buy, but left empty handed and totally bewildered how a sales person can behave like tat....

i think he knows what he is doing, after emteen yrs in biz, so he knows he can afford to lose biz from small fry like me lah..... >:(

good news, MA and Cayin hv alternative places to buy,  :)

certainly some very nice looking speakers !

I see you still have those doilies ! and not a believer in hiding cables ! hehe

enjoy mate, which sounds you are ! thats the main thing. :)

ps still beyond me how you hide that big muther sub you got in there someplace !