ppaul

Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Thought I’d start this thread since I’m loving the performance of my Silver 100’s.

Anyone else care to share please do

EC6667D7-78E0-4464-9FCC-0B490BA7A229.jpeg

I have been an MA fan since they were first sold in Australia.

At the time I was working for the importer/distributor and also the retail arm of the business.  I  cannot remember how many pairs of their various models I have sold professionally over the years, but I can say i never had even one unsatisfied customer.

Over a long period of time, I have owned a model in most of their ranges, except the Platinum  and I have watched their progress intently.

They are an amazingly popular brand in the UK and other countries, but they lack the popularity and recognition they so much deserve in Australia, although this has mainly been a distributor problem, especially over the last decade.

I currently don't have any MA speakers (although a vintage model Silver 5 is on long term loan ) and I recently heard the Silver 300 and was very impressed, but certainly not surprised.

Apart from their sound, there is no better manufacturer for build quality and aesthetics and they have a lovely knack of making a pair of $3K speakers that look and are built better than other brands 5 times the price.

This is their strength and I will follow this thread with interest.

My MA Silver 8's in Walnut

Excellent build quality and performance, wont be parting from these anytime soon.

IMG20181009182558.jpg

2 hours ago, rantan said:

I have been an MA fan since they were first sold in Australia.

At the time I was working for the importer/distributor and also the retail arm of the business.  I  cannot remember how many pairs of their various models I have sold professionally over the years, but I can say i never had even one unsatisfied customer.

Over a long period of time, I have owned a model in most of their ranges, except the Platinum  and I have watched their progress intently.

They are an amazingly popular brand in the UK and other countries, but they lack the popularity and recognition they so much deserve in Australia, although this has mainly been a distributor problem, especially over the last decade.

I currently don't have any MA speakers (although a vintage model Silver 5 is on long term loan ) and I recently heard the Silver 300 and was very impressed, but certainly not surprised.

Apart from their sound, there is no better manufacturer for build quality and aesthetics and they have a lovely knack of making a pair of $3K speakers that look and are built better than other brands 5 times the price.

This is their strength and I will follow this thread with interest.

Nearly bought a pair of MA Silver 300s. But ended up with PMC. 

But deffinetly could live with the MAs. You are right about the look and  build quality. Exceptional.

3 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Nearly bought a pair of MA Silver 300s. But ended up with PMC. 

But deffinetly could live with the MAs. You are right about the look and  build quality. Exceptional.

Forgot to say l would have paired them with a MF M5si amp. Not heard it, but was heading in that direction, before l bought the Plinius and PMCs. Would have still been happy and saved a lot of money too.

1 hour ago, ollie_08 said:

My MA Silver 8's in Walnut

Excellent build quality and performance, wont be parting from these anytime soon.

IMG20181009182558.jpg

Would look stunning in white in that room.

Anyone used MA with a tube amp?  I’m on the lookout for some used floorstanders to pair with my Weston Topaz KT120 in a second system. I’ve always liked the look of MA but some of them seem to have difficult sub 4ohm impedance.

13 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Anyone used MA with a tube amp?  I’m on the lookout for some used floorstanders to pair with my Weston Topaz KT120 in a second system. I’ve always liked the look of MA but some of them seem to have difficult sub 4ohm impedance.

Hi Russ.

The new Silver 300 would be a great match with your Weston amplfier. They do have a slight dip to just below 4 ohms in the upper bass area but they are quite sensitive ( 90dB ) and are definitely rated at 8 ohms nominal. They also have a nice knack of being able to be used with most any half decent amplifier and can also remain in a system while everything else is upgraded.

I used a pair of RX8 with my Audio Space mini tube amp for several years and it is rated at 25 watts in ultralinear and 15 in triode. Never had a problem.

After that, I upgraded big time, to a Luxman and they (unsurprisingly ) ramped up several orders of magnitude and this ability is what makes them so very good.

See if you can borrow a pair. I would be surprised if you were not impressed.

Ive used the older bronze bx2s with a push pull amp i made, from memory was 16wpc. Sounded great to my ears

i dont have that system any more though, wasnt due to sonics, just didnt work in new house

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

Hi Russ.

The new Silver 300 would be a great match with your Weston amplfier. They do have a slight dip to just below 4 ohms in the upper bass area but they are quite sensitive ( 90dB ) and are definitely rated at 8 ohms nominal. They also have a nice knack of being able to be used with most any half decent amplifier and can also remain in a system while everything else is upgraded.

I used a pair of RX8 with my Audio Space mini tube amp for several years and it is rated at 25 watts in ultralinear and 15 in triode. Never had a problem.

After that, I upgraded big time, to a Luxman and they (unsurprisingly ) ramped up several orders of magnitude and this ability is what makes them so very good.

See if you can borrow a pair. I would be surprised if you were not impressed.

Thanks R. Had my eye on those Silver 300 for a while now. I should probably wait for something used though $3k is a pretty reasonable price.

Always fancied some MAs since hearing the Gs 10 and GS 20 years ago. 

Edited by buddyev

40 minutes ago, buddyev said:

I currently have a Prim Luna tube amp driving MA Silver 8's no problem at all. Speakers singing beautifully.

i have had the RS6's since 2005, powered by an Exposure 2010 50wpc, this is my vinyl system, also a pair of Bronze BX2's powered by a Quasimodo 40wpc for CD's.

the only other speaker that would tempt me away from the MA's is a goldenear triton 7, maybe one day

15621562933911924782144.jpg

1562156347371235589760.jpg

I picked up a pair of MA GS10s last year to complete a second system with other spare components. They’re far from optimally setup and still sound remarkably good.

9D69EC30-FE40-41B2-85A7-823F7F359591.jpeg

Am using MA Apex A10s in a 5.2 HT setup. Started initially with rear pairs, small enough to pass WAF in open plan family room.   The Apex A10, with a front bass reflex port performs like a much larger bookshelf speaker.  What impressed was their decent frequency response for such a small speaker.  Measurement for left rear speakers, left side of room opens to kitchen, probably the worse position in room. 

image.png.229c2991bcf51ab3ba722aa4382126ed.png

Impressive engineering indeed by Monitor Audio for a speaker which measures 28 x 15 x 18 cm including stand, less than a foot tall in the old imperial scale.   Have now changed fronts to A10s, and matching A40 centre.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

I've had my eye on the Bronze One or Two's for months now.... just waiting to pull the trigger to replace my older Mission MX-1's. Haven't heard them, but have heard much *about* them.

Someone is trying to tempt me away with a pair of Elac Debut B5.2's, and/or the Cambridge Aero 2's as well - so I'm really torn. All of them get great reviews from the UK audio press.....  :frantics:

The amp would play a part. ELAC are a little more difficult to drive.

love my RS8 imo ive made a great purchase at the time.

6 hours ago, Hydrology said:

The amp would play a part. ELAC are a little more difficult to drive.

Pioneer Sx-3800

I thought about getting the Gold 100’s when Eastwood had the special on, but decided to stick with what I have

5 hours ago, candyflip said:

Pioneer Sx-3800

Maaaate.

Truly, don't bother with the Cambridge Aeromax, I won't say too much in public but.........................

Elac? Meh! ( The more premium Elacs are great  though)

I owned the RX6 silver series some time back and loved them. Also have a pair or Silver 1s used in a second system downstairs.

Currently contemplating a pair of Silver 300s to replace some PMCs which appear to be too fussy and just can't work well in my current room without making too many compromises on room setup.

Just the look of the silver 300s in satin white is almost enough to make me buy them!

21 hours ago, rantan said:

Maaaate.

Truly, don't bother with the Cambridge Aeromax, I won't say too much in public but.........................

Elac? Meh! ( The more premium Elacs are great  though)

Hmm.. so what MA does the Pioneer deserve then?

Small room of 3m x 5m

29 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Hmm.. so what MA does the Pioneer deserve then?

Small room of 3m x 5m

Depending on budget, either the Bronze or Silver series. If you can stretch to the Silver that would be a better long term prospect, but either is fine.

IIRC you wanted a stand mount and the Pioneer is around 60 WPC which should work well. So, the Bronze two for a stand mount or a five / six in a floor standing model. All are quite easy loads but will respond well to amplifier upgrades in the future.

I know where you can get cracking deals on the Bronze series.

i have Bronze BX2's( now Bronze 2 ) in a 4  x 4.5 m room, sound amazing for their size, driven by Quasimodo 40wpc amp. @candyflip if you are interested in listening to the BX2;s PM me

Edited by wen

Have Monitor Audio Silver 8s as per my sig.  It's my second set.  I regretted selling my RS8s so much I had to buy another pair.  These are genuinely one of the best alround speakers on the market IMO.  They can do full on rock, metal and dance music with ease but also have the refinement and air in the tweeter to render jazz trios with intimacy and realism.  I will be upgrading the front end components for years with no desire to change speakers whatsoever.  They just keep getting better.  I can't wait to hear them once I can afford a tube pre.

Edited by DJGopal