Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

seems there has been a bit of a surge in interest in MA round here lately, with a few more people getting on board with them.

ive been a bit of a MA fan for a while, they remind me of my missions of old (no doubt partly due to the similarities in sound produced by the metal tweeter used by both).

imo they offer great BFYB, particularly as we get pretty reasonable pricing in Aus (which is nice for a change). they do seem however to be a "love it or hate it" brand/sound. that said, one thing i think everyone who sees them agrees on, is that they look superb and their fit and finish is top notch.

anyway, though it might be good to have a place for MA discussion and people to share their experiences etc, such as:

* what models of MA you have or had?

* likes/dislikes?

* any issues or service/repair experiences?

* would you buy them again and if so, what would you upgrade to?

* any tips?

there was a good tip the other day from broke regarding checking the tension of the screws holding the driver surrounds. i did this on my new GS60's (using the supplied hex key) and also found them to be a bit loose.

keen to hear others' experience with MA and see any pics! :D

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been an MA fan since they were first sold in Australia.   At the time I was working for the importer/distributor and also the retail arm of the business.  I  cannot remember how many

OK. So long as you don't mind a messy room and some not-so-good photos. Once I get everything organised and tidy again in the room/rack. I will post some better pics.   I am in the

My MA Silver 8's in Walnut Excellent build quality and performance, wont be parting from these anytime soon.    

Well I've got the Platinum PL300's and Pl350 center..

The ebony finish on them is amazing.. As i demoed them the longer I listened to them the more i liked the sound.. it really seemed to grow on me.. Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to them at home yet since I'm waiting for my pre-amp to arrive next week..

There gonna be setup in my open plan theater which is my current project, which is gonna need a bit of acoustic treatment's but I think will be great in the end. Will be buying the Gold series Fx in ceiling speaker's to match..

I'll stick some more pics up of them once i get everything setup..

Edited by Scotto83

My reviews of my RS and GS series speakers are posted in the reviews section.

Good value for money, esp since I got them cheap from Singapore.

My older Bronze series sold to a friend made him use them instead of his Thiels 1.7s

A slight bright signature, which needs carefuly partner, and you can get excellant yield.

My GS 10 :

Partnering equipment:

The Gold Series from Monitor Audio is something that is a sight to behold and write about..

Marantz SR 12 AV amp

QED XT tube 300

Pioneer DV 525 as a transport to the amp.

Atacama Stands, half filled with silver sand

I often espouse about how the sound should matter most, and that is still true but when you lay eyes on a pair of these in piano gloss, plus the corresponding centre, it is quite something else. It goes well with my Pioneer 507 plasma which is also in black gloss. The cabinet work surpasses the RS series and IMO is one of the best for sane money. You really feel like it is a fine piece of furniture and the picture shows a perfect reflection, quite delightful. The deliver folks have a real task too, as the centre weighs in at 12.5 kg and each GS 10 is about 8.5kg. you really feel like there is a lot of speaker. Benefits of Chinese mass production, I guess.

So the external appearance is one of a fine item of beauty, well made with the gold tweeter and build quality something you long to show off, how about the sound then?

Most of the initial impressions are based on the run-in pair I borrowed, and I will tell more of how the GS works in a HT setup too later on.

When you have good electronics, they beg for you to get good speakers to match and speakers are about 60-70% of the whole sonic signature of the system. There have been many good reviews of the GS and esp the GS 10 but one recurring note was that the treble was noted to be forward or bright. This was a real concern, especially after the rather dismal demo at Edward’s place. But if you parter them well and run them in, then the sound is just on the ‘shiny’ or enthusiastic side of neutral and in return they will reward you with an incisive sound with loads of detail and also perform well in the HT role which generally requires a more exciting sound. But Marantz partners them well and you are reward with a sound I have become familiar with, but this new partnership offers just that much more of everything. The key is to audition with your amp / source and see how it sounds.

So how does it sound? Well I used the analogy of a vivacious energetic lady for the RS 6 and this is her sister, who inherits similar characteristics yet you will know she is different.

This is a speaker that lets you know that you paid good money and will receive your just rewards. Think of a high class geisha, whom you hired. She is beautiful to look at, exquisitely made up and when she move, each movement is refined, well trained and you can definitely see the difference from the more prosaic stuff that costs less.

Similarly here, the GS 10 is not just a good looker, but when you play something delicate, it responds with the same gentle touch, and you heard details that you never quite noticed before. It may mean it is a little less forgiving of sources, but it like the good geisha, doesn’t embarrass the source either.

MP3 and Itunes is not considered hi fi no matter how you cut it, but interestingly, even though you are left with no doubts about the difference between compressed and lossless music, these revealing speakers still let the compressed songs make a decent tune. It was no pain using my Ipod with its dock connected via analogue inputs to my amp.

When you play larger scale music, it also responds and the soundstage is solid, clear and stable. The music is presented just slightly ahead of the speakers and details are located precisely in the sound landscape built in front of the listener. You can quite easily follow individual instruments in the orchestra.

I once comments that some hi end systems are often played with so called ‘audiophile’ discs, that include scatter isolated drums, simple vocals to show off the ‘hi end’ equipment but has no relevance to the owner who lives on a diet of pop and techno. The GS 10 is a rather flexible creature, able to show off your carefully masters Gold recordings, Chesky stuff but equally adept at playing the trashy pop and demonstrating it has pace rhythm and plenty of mid bass to boot. In fact it will easily best some small floorstanders, but no one will mistake this for the GS 20.

Since I sit quite close to the system, having one cone only has its advantages as I have less risk of phase coherence problems. And with my diet of vocals, and instrumentals the GS 10 is able to keep me happy. In fact one of the ice features is how well it sounds at low volumes, not requiring you to listen at head-banging volumes to come alive.

It is a sensitive design, at 88 db, 8 ohms, and will slot nicely into mostly modestly powered homes. But give it more juice, a better amp and it will rewards you with more detail, bass and control. The dynamics are a close match for the Dynaudio 52 SE and it can play loudly too but where it differs is its ability to sound good just cruising along at softer settings.

The bass is integrated, and meaty, but I also should mention the treble is like the RS 6, her top end is tamer than the RS 6 but remains brighter than soft-domed competitors. A run-in period of at least two months is advised and if you grab one off the shops it will sound rough and unpolished, just like a new apprentice geisha. But give it a few months, and the rough edges are replaced with a smoother top end that gives detail without causing your ears to bleed. The Marantz SR 12 makes a good match, a slightly warm to neutral amp will be better than one which is already treble happy. I also use a copper based cable from QED to help smoothen things. Avoid silver. Adequate room treatment, with blackout curtains also helps absorb excess high frequency reflections.

The mid takes time to emerge since the GS 10 has a dual hump characteristic, and after running in, the mid starts to sing too and you will feel that it is quite an all rounder.

So should you get one? Well if you have a bright system, them maybe not, otherwise this will enhance a system that has a good amp, and bring life and excitement back to familar recordings and get you cocooned in a aural cloud nine, sans boxes.

Look at the quality of the gloss and the reflection, a work of art and the benefits of switching manufacturing to China, allowing a high quality speaker t obe made at a fraction of the price in UK. No issue with the finish and fit either.

The centre speaker is equally substantial too.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...ck/DSC_2861.jpg

My GS 10 :

^^^ What I will have in May... 2nd hand though, but free :D... Am thinking of setting this up in the study instead of swapping the fronts in my small 5.1.. Still scheming on the components though... :ninja:

They're pretty decent bookshelf speakers, I hope can give them enough justice when I get it.. :(

The centre speaker is equally substantial too.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...ck/DSC_2861.jpg

BTW, that link don't work no more...

Edited by treblid

brought my RS8 with 4 RSfx and RS center about a year now - pretty happy with them but would loved to gone the GS60s with matching GS

match them with the Denon 3808 which makes a decent home theatre system....

build quality is fantastic and the looks are great...

very impressed with the audio quality and detail of the speakers.....

RS 6 write up as requested:

This is the first instalment of my impression of the Monitor Audio RS 6, RS 1 RS LCR with a Marantz SR 12.

I like these brands and make no attempts to hide this fact. I had been searching for a new HT based setup, trying to keep an open mind, yet remembering my Bronze and Marantz system that gave a wonderful account of itself.

An ensuing saga comes to a temporary halt. My search for a HT based system came to a fortuitous point thanks to a incidental purchase from a brother in the forum. We had been communicating about his system and he came to point where he felt he wanted a musical system and was willing to flog off his MA RS system.

This aided my decision process about choosing my speakers and solved my own dilemma about selecting either the GS or RS series from Monitor Audio. I had been considering that for HT, plus the fact that I may not be able to discern the extra expense of paying for the GS setup and I actually believe the main components which underpin the HT experience are the subwoofer and the centre speaker. If these are competent, the left and rights plus the rears will fall into place. Obviously a decent amp which can drive the selected speaker system will help and the appropriate application of DSP and surround effects plus a good source playing a well mastered disc will complete the HT experience and room treatment will transform the home into a proper Lido.

But enough about how this set came into my possession. The system now consisted of

a Pioneer DV 545 and a Panasonic EX85 as the source (both will be weaker than a proper CD transport);

Marantz SR 12 S1 (7.1 channel THX Ultra II receiver) putting out 110 true watts per channel into 8ohms (more into 6 or 4);

Monitor Audio RS series HT plus a SVS PB 12plus.

The listening area is a 7by 10m room but with the speakers sited such that they are almost a metre from the rear walls and far from the side walls. No port plugs were used. They were toed in such that the speaker face points directly at the listening position. The hotspot was about 3m from each speaker in a 60degree angle.

Ancillary connections consisted of Audioquest interconnects, QED XT300 tube wires (chosen for their neutral sound with no silver in them)

For more information on the amp, it is an ancient amp by current standards with no auto-setup, HDMI and a full review can be found in issue 255 of Hi Fi Choice (thanks Patrick at KEC for lending the issue), http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/index/hardware.shtml a German magazine, plus Home Cinema Choice.

This initial review is with the stereo pair of floorstanders. Visually the RS6 has high showroom appeal, with real wood veneers and a certain elegance only bested by speakers in a different price range, such as the GS series. At the listening position the tweeters are just about at my ear level or slightly lower. There is a plinth for the floor-standers and the speakers can be bi-wired. Build quality for a set of made in China speakers is very good. You get a feeling of high value for money.

I began with stereo, and as the speakers had been in use previously there was no run-in period. Using a single run of the QED XT 300 tube, the initial impression was pretty impressive, with a serious wall of bass hitting you. The Monitor Audio RS series is about fun, in a roller coaster fashion, and it is hardly subtle. The speakers make their presence felt, and the soundstage is forward, with a definite emphasis in the mid-bass region. In a more confined space the bass can dominate an become unruly or muddy. Give them enough space to breath and they will reward you with a extension and slam that you may not miss a subwoofer even for movies. However there is a definite emphasis of bass around the 60Hz region, which may account for a slam element which helps them become popular with HT or dance music. This can be disconcerting to those desiring a flatter response curve. There is not much output to note under 40 Hz or so.

The treble has been noted in various quarters to be on the bright side of neutral, hence partnering this speaker is essential. Get it wrong and you will suffer a grating sound. A warmer amp will definitely help.

A point to note is that if you audition this speaker in the showroom, it is driven by tubes, or Primare amps and the room is pretty insulated, so the treble is pretty much tamed and in fact the speaker may sound a lot more subdued than it really is. If your room is very much ‘alive’ it may pay dividends to do some room treatment at crucial reflection points. Get some help from experienced brothers here.

Stereophile gave this speaker a resounding recommendation (perhaps too sterling) and some other magazines also gushed effusively about it. I like the sound, but it is definitely not the last word in sound quality. Neither is it the most neutral speaker in the world.

With my Panasonic, there was a hardness to it with the treble poorly held in rein and it would be quite fatiguing for music in the long term. For HT, this was very exciting and gave a ride by the seat of your pants kind of experience, despite enhancing the HT fun.

Swopping over to my warmer and I reckon better sounding Pioneer, I got more information retrieval without the hardness, and the ride whilst still exciting, became something I can listen to for hours, without my ears bleeding. Imaging was also more accurate and stable, with a deeper soundstage and individual instruments could be discern more easily.

The metal tweeter also seems to need some warming up, with a sweeter sound after using it for half an hour or more, although this could be ear conditioning.

I reckon a warmer or neutral source, perhaps along the lines of the SACD 7001 from Marantz, or a NAD CD player will help bring the best out of the system. I look forward to trying it with the new DV 7001 Marantz DVD player which get most of the innards of the well regards DV 9600.

So how should I describe the RS 6? If it was a person, she would be energetic, sporty, dynamic, colourful and exciting, with nary a dull moment. She would be beautiful and shapely, tall and slim with a vivacious personality to match her looks.She would also be capable of telling the truth, the whole truth and reveal most of the message, from the highs to the lows. She needs room to breathe, and does not like being hemmed in. give her her space and the songs she sings will be seared permanently into your memory. And at the end of it all, you will still feel she’s the one :)

Actually as I continued to listen and run-in, I found the MA tends to get sweeter in the treble.

Matching the source will be important, I reckon either the DV 7001, or a neutral to warm source will help. Each time you start listening, it takes a few minutes to half an hour to really sound right.

I ran through a well recorded pop CD and there was so much detail and the sound was much sweeter with my Pioneer that I will explore a new source soon.

The bass is prominent so I worry for bros running this in a confined space. It defintely needs to breathe with about 1m behind it. That why the entire frequency can be appreciated and the bass doesn't swamp the rest of the mesage.

I think your problem lies with the partnering equipment you are using with them.

Maybe you can list your equipment

I have owned GS-20 & GLCR and I found them too boomy. I traded them back in for RS6 and I love them to bits

GS20 are only good for tinny jap AVR's like Yam or Denon

I think your problem lies with the partnering equipment you are using with them.

Maybe you can list your equipment

November 20008:

source = PS3 60Gb (the one with burr-brown DACs)

amp = SR-8001 (toroid transformer)

belkin 19 pin 1080p hdmi

QED silver signature bi-amped

That setup sounded too boomy (in stereo!) even with foam bongs.

I sold the amp, then swapped the speakers

Jan 2009:

Source = same

amp1 = NAD T785

amp2 = Pio 71 (B&O ice amps)

RS6

The best setup I've heard in the last couple of years was one at Quality HiFi - wtih RS8 that were first hooked up to Denon - that sounded flat and lifeless on Transporter 2, until I asked the guy to hook it up to T775 .. and boy, what a change :) The bass suddenly became punchy and 3D. I couldn't drag myself out of the demo room.

Someone in the post above has compared MA speakers to a woman. I compare HT setups with cars. Any car can go at 120 km/h, but few push you in the back of your seat when you hit the gas.

What would be the analog of speed vs acceleration in HiFi? - loudness vs energy?

Anyway, that week I bought GS10 thinking it would be twice as good .. it doesn't work that way. I remember I auditioned T763 at Len Wallis and I bought .. guess what, I bought NAD T773 :) Again, lifeless sound .. Traded it back for T763 - pure magic .. you know, the tuner on that AVR sounded like my Dad's tube radio back in the 60's - Istill remember that sound, when you spin the dial and it makes this blup-blup-blip sound :)) Anyway .. GS20 is way overpriced and GS center is crap. I'm lucky I kept RC7 from my Klipsch system. When someone shoots a gun, my leather couch flaps, it's that good. I compared it side by side with RS6 (in 1 channel stereo) and they sounded more similar, than GS10 and GS-LCR

Edited by simon6273
I have owned GS-20 & GLCR and I found them too boomy. I traded them back in for RS6 and I love them to bits

GS20 are only good for tinny jap AVR's like Yam or Denon

interesting, ive heard of people preferring the RS6 to the RS8, but never the RS to GS. i auditioned and quite liked the GS20, didnt find them boomy at all (perhaps this was set-up/room acoustics related?).

re the GSLCR, i disagree that its "crap". its certainly not the biggest/most muscular centre, but has enough oomph to do the job and beautifully clear/sharp mids and highs. like always i guess, just shows everyones tastes are different.

Well I've got the Platinum PL300's and Pl350 center..

The ebony finish on them is amazing.. As i demoed them the longer I listened to them the more i liked the sound.. it really seemed to grow on me.. Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to them at home yet since I'm waiting for my pre-amp to arrive next week..

There gonna be setup in my open plan theater which is my current project, which is gonna need a bit of acoustic treatment's but I think will be great in the end. Will be buying the Gold series Fx in ceiling speaker's to match..

I'll stick some more pics up of them once i get everything setup..

great stuff scotto, keep us posted on how it all goes once you fire them up. :)

i think you may be our only platinum owner? cant think of any other dtv'ers that have them..

re the rears, i assume you have no space to go on wall? if so, i think you cant go past the GSFX, which are an incredible surround speaker. in my last set-up i used the bronze in-ceilings, which did a great job. you may find the silvers perfectly good as rears, id imagine the GS in ceilings may be overkill?

looks great felix B)

thats quite a significant upgrade you went through last year, are you still happy with it all? what other speakers did you audition?

The Monitor Audio Gold Series loudspeakers are definitely a clear step-up from the Silver Series. As wonderful as the Silver Series loudspeakers are, the Gold Series is a big step-up in price and performance.

Powered by appropriate (read: good quality) amplification, the GS's are very good.

The Silver Series are fine, powered by mid-range A/V Receivers, but the Gold Series really sing with high-end A/V Receivers of full 'separates'.

looks great felix B)

thats quite a significant upgrade you went through last year, are you still happy with it all? what other speakers did you audition?

Yes it was a major step-up from a pair of budget book shelves I can tell you. Although the MAs sound amazing they are compromised a little by less than ideal room accoustics, L shaped lounge room with a vaulted celing as per the pics. But that would've been the case whatever speaker set I purchased. Mining Man brought his Studio 100s over last year and I think he was a little disappointed how they sounded in my living area compared to other envrionments that he has listened to them in.

But you have to work with what you've got. I'm planning on getting some professinal audio analysis of the room later this year and resulting advice on how to optimise my set-up.

Other speakers I listened to included Krix, Focal, ELAC, B&W and Dynaudio. It was certainly a tough decision.

But you have to work with what you've got. I'm planning on getting some professinal audio analysis of the room later this year and resulting advice on how to optimise my set-up.

Out of curiosity have you looked into the cost of this in the perth area? and what sort of services do they provide?

Bear in mind those consider the RS and GS series.

If HT and only HT is your game, the RS is a pretty good series except I find the centre lacking in comparison to the GS LCR.

And when you compare the GS 10 to the RS 6, it can be a little underwhelming depending on the type of music you listen to, since the RS 6 goes much deeper and has a little bass hump. Hence the size of the aural landscape can be smaller with the GS 10.

If I was going to have HT only setup, then I would seriously consider 3 vertically aligned GS LCRs across the front. Partnered with a high quality sub or 2 (SVS PB13 ultra, JL Fathom, Velo DD or something of the like) I think it would make for tremendously rewarding experience being a fully sealed design offering startling clarity and detail, with all the pace and precision that a sealed design offers. I am perhaps more in to the music side of things and the 60s were the speaker for me. I look forward to firing them up every day and have withdrawls when I haven't been listening as much as I would like.

I can certainly echo Petetherock's sentiments regarding run in of GS speakers. I have had mine just under 6 weeks now and subtle changes are still taking place.

My ears getting used to the sound?....I don't think so, I can play music at higher volumes now without a care in the world. Cymbal crashes etc now are noticibly smoother and better integrated and the bottom end is still surprising me.

The 60s (IMO) benefit from 200w plus of power, I havent done a comparo with anything else but a speaker that has a power handling rating of 250w will probably enjoy lots of watts and current on tap. I don't think using an AVR as power source for these will do them justice.

It sounds strange, but as soon as I tightened up all the driver screws, definition and spaciousness as far as image was concerned improved and sounded less 'congested'

They have given me so much enjoyment (just looking at them too ;) ) and thats the main thing.

Cheers

Out of curiosity have you looked into the cost of this in the perth area? and what sort of services do they provide?

I know Franin got professional audio calibration done for his HT room by Home Theatre Engineering. It cost around $600 but it was a throrough exercise and he was very happy with the results. He posted a thread about it awhile back.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...dio+calibration

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...ration&st=0

Edited by Felix.
I know Franin got professional audio calibration done for his HT room by Home Theatre Engineering. It cost around $600 but it was a throrough exercise and he was very happy with the results. He posted a thread about it awhile back.

I don't believe I realised it was that expensive. I guess I was thinking it would be comparable to a video calibration which one can usually get for around 1/2 that. Not something one would do more than once.

$600 sounds like money well spent.. no point spending decent money on equipment then having it setup in a bad sounding room..

might have to get them to come out to my place when i'm further along with my setup and do some calibrating and determine which acoustic treatment I'll need to fix my room..

$600 sounds like money well spent.. no point spending decent money on equipment then having it setup in a bad sounding room..

might have to get them to come out to my place when i'm further along with my setup and do some calibrating and determine which acoustic treatment I'll need to fix my room..

Yeah it sounds like those guys from HTE really know what they're doing so I'm sure it would be worth getting done at some point, particularly with all the great gear you have.

I've had my setup for almost 2 years now.

Fronts: MA RS8's

Centre: RS-LCR

Rears: Radius 45's (little cubes).

Sub: SVS PB12+

Source: HTPC or DVD player

AVR: Yamaha AVR-800

Amp: Vincent SAV-P200 (6x200W - real Watts!! )

Video: Epson TW600 onto 92" fixed screen.

Initially, I just had the Yammy AVR and wasn't pleased at all, as it was boomy and tinny at the same time, and dialogue during movies was hard to hear. I then added some room damping behind the seating position which helped heaps (fixed the slap echo between front & back walls). Although the yammy still sounds a bit ordinary for my setup.

I then added the Amp and it has also helped (at least in my totally subjective opinion) and dialogue at lower listening levels is quite good.

I'm looking forward to getting a new AVR/Pre-Pro though as i know the AVR is my weakest link at present.

At the time of purchase i was tossing up between Neuphonix's and the RS8's, but the Krix were just a bit too loose in the bass for my liking.

All in all, i'm very happy with the quality of sound from the speakers, and i know that they will improve along with the rest of my system over time (ie, they won't be a weak link for quite some time).

Initially, I just had the Yammy AVR and wasn't pleased at all, as it was boomy and tinny at the same time, and dialogue during movies was hard to hear. I then added some room damping behind the seating position which helped heaps (fixed the slap echo between front & back walls). Although the yammy still sounds a bit ordinary for my setup.

I then added the Amp and it has also helped (at least in my totally subjective opinion) and dialogue at lower listening levels is quite good.

I'm looking forward to getting a new AVR/Pre-Pro though as i know the AVR is my weakest link at present.

At the time of purchase i was tossing up between Neuphonix's and the RS8's, but the Krix were just a bit too loose in the bass for my liking.

All in all, i'm very happy with the quality of sound from the speakers, and i know that they will improve along with the rest of my system over time (ie, they won't be a weak link for quite some time).

nice set-up there wacko02, especially the vincent amp - not surprised it made an improvement!

interesting you mention initially you found them boomy as well but that it was an acoustics issue. i wonder if that could have also been the issue simon6273 had.

nice set-up there wacko02, especially the vincent amp - not surprised it made an improvement!

interesting you mention initially you found them boomy as well but that it was an acoustics issue. i wonder if that could have also been the issue simon6273 had.

my room is kind of rectangular with the system going across the short sides, rather than the long. The 2 walls (front & back) are ~4m apart with sitting position against the back wall, and speakers about 30cm out from the front wall, which isn't ideal, but what can ya do!

The slap echo was REALLY bad in this room without treatment and I had my Centre channel +5 dB to be able to work out dialogue, and I was initially very disappointed that new speakers didn't fix this (a lesson there for many!), but once I purchased 8 600x600x45mm accoustic foam panels and put them up behind the seating position, things got a lot better. I experimented first with hanging a doona up on the wall which also worked (temporary of course), so at least I knew that accoustics was the problem and not the equipment.

There is still room for improvement, as i need to put a couple behind the speakers themselves, but haven't got round to that yet.

* and yes that Vincent is a beast (43kg!), but was had at a very special price, so it's a keeper!. :D

Edited by Wacko02

Hi there,

I was wondering how you find the radius 45's for rears. I have been planning to add the RS FX for rears but I'd be tempted by a cheaper option seeing as most of the time they wont be in use.

Re: Tightening of hex screws on clamp rings on front baffle of GS speakers.

This issue/tip was raised by broke in an earlier thread in regards his GS60's, http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...20&start=20, and Dissociative (GS20's) and DarrenW (GSW12) also checked and reported 'less than tight' hex screws.

That made me sit up and take notice. Today i finally got my hands on a 3mm Allen Key and tonight i checked my GS10's and found every hex screw on both speakers could be easily be tightened almost half a turn. (I couldn't check the screws in the tweeter face plates, but will do that when i get around to buying a star key set).

I was skeptical of hearing much, or any, difference but was surprised with the difference (improvement) i heard.

I encourage others GS owners to check this out ... with the usual YMMV caveat.

It might also apply to Silver and Bronze series speakers ? I going to pass this tip on to one of my mates who has a pair of RS1's.

Prolly applies to other speaker brands as well.

G'night all.

Re: Tightening of hex screws on clamp rings on front baffle of GS speakers.

Prolly applies to other speaker brands as well.

You're right, Ed!

Checked the drivers on my centre speaker(Krix Centrix), and all three driver's mounting screws were about a quarter turn loose.

Different tool this time, a T20 Torx driver required........

Definately dont want the driver baskets vibrating away on the front baffle, should be a ridgid interface. Also, a possible source of air leaks.

Regards,

Darren

snip ....

The 60s (IMO) benefit from 200w plus of power, I havent done a comparo with anything else but a speaker that has a power handling rating of 250w will probably enjoy lots of watts and current on tap. I don't think using an AVR as power source for these will do them justice.

It sounds strange, but as soon as I tightened up all the driver screws, definition and spaciousness as far as image was concerned improved and sounded less 'congested' .... snip

broke that doesn't sound strange to me, cos' i heard the same :o .

After getting home last night, i turned system on and let it run for an hour, then sat down, lights dimmed, and listened to one test track (Steely Dan: "Gaslighting Abbey") carefully. Then lights on, tightened all hex screws, lights dimmned again, pressed play on the same track, same volume, and no alcohol (nor other). The improvements i heard were significant and the words i scribbled down last night were: focus, perceived loudness (dynamics), separation, height !!, width !, live, lively, coherent.

Hardly a full on double blind test but left me in no doubt that it was beneficial. Was only listening at around 70 dB (C, slow) but everthing sounded great, very dynamic, head nodding, feet tapping.

Can't wait to my next listening session.

Well gotta run, off to airport to pick up my Mum in Law.

Ed

Thought I'd add and say I am very happy with my monitor audio speakers - I have the silver range. Had the rear Bronze FX speakers...changing them to the Silver FX made a noticible difference :) Don't think I'll be needing to upgrade my speakers for a long time yet....never thought I'd say that :) Very happy with the sub and receiver also.

Panansonic 50" Plasma

Sony PS3

Oppo 971

Denon 3808

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Fronts

Monitor Audio Silver LCR Centre

Monitor Audio Silver RSFX Dipole Rears

SVS PB12-NSD

Kordz cabling all round

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a pair of near new RS6 for $800.00. Must say my first impression are very good for the price.

Have always owned Vintage Polk Audio Monitor 12's since new (1990) and have been looking around for something different to try.

Got 2 young kids so money is always an issue but i thought this was a no brainer at this price. I can always on sell them. At this early stage i dont think they will be going anywhere as im pretty impressed. Im just running them for the rest of the week and i'll do a proper test on the weekend.

Running them with my Marantz CD6002 / Bel Canto S300IU combo.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd add myself to the list of MA owners thread.

I've just upgraded to:

GS10s as rears, (I dont have walls in the right place for GSFX)

GSLCR center,

GSW12 subwoofer,

and waiting for the GS60s to be delivered.

I'm using a Denon 4308 and Denon 3910.

Anyone here also using the GSW12?

Upgrading from a passive sub, I'm confused by the options.

I've just upgraded to:

GS10s as rears, (I dont have walls in the right place for GSFX)

GSLCR center,

GSW12 subwoofer,

and waiting for the GS60s to be delivered.

I'm using a Denon 4308 and Denon 3910.

that looks familiar!

i recently added a denon 4308 to run my GS60's as well (source currently a denon 3930). does a great job imho.

still deciding on subs myself. havent heard the GSW12 but apparently its very good. i'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

that looks familiar!

i recently added a denon 4308 to run my GS60's as well (source currently a denon 3930). does a great job imho.

still deciding on subs myself. haven't heard the GSW12 but apparently its very good. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Yeah I skipped the DVD-3930 upgrade and waiting for a good Denon Blu ray option.

I will give you more details once I have set the GSW12 properly, but Carlton Audio Visual have the same set up also using the 4308

Adding to the list:

I have:

GS60

GSLCR

GSFX

GSW12

In santos rosewood

Denon 4308 (powers GSFX)

Elektra Theatron (powers GS60 and GSLCR biamped - not necessary but amps were there so may as well use them)

GSW12 is supposed to be able to be set to power on with signal but I found this not reliable so have harmony 1000i setup to manually power it up with any multichannel input. Usually just use the default settings for music and movie.

Love the sound, particularly with the Elektra - plenty of reviews of the difference this power amp makes and my experience is the same, often just put on SACD and sit back- takes you away from work/wife/kids

Adding to the list:

I have:

GS60

GSLCR

GSFX

GSW12

In santos rosewood

Denon 4308 (powers GSFX)

Elektra Theatron (powers GS60 and GSLCR biamped - not necessary but amps were there so may as well use them)

GSW12 is supposed to be able to be set to power on with signal but I found this not reliable so have harmony 1000i setup to manually power it up with any multichannel input. Usually just use the default settings for music and movie.

Love the sound, particularly with the Elektra - plenty of reviews of the difference this power amp makes and my experience is the same, often just put on SACD and sit back- takes you away from work/wife/kids

I like the set up with the addition of the power amp.

With the GSW12 why dont you use the 12v trigger connected to the 4308?

More reliable and quicker response.

But so far I havn't had a problem with the sub not comeing out of standby mode

I like the set up with the addition of the power amp.

With the GSW12 why dont you use the 12v trigger connected to the 4308?

More reliable and quicker response.

But so far I havn't had a problem with the sub not comeing out of standby mode

I use a 12v trigger for the power amp, have another on the 4308 but don't have a cable to run 6 metres from receiver to SW, easier to program on remote as it is activity based than program on AVR when I preferentially don't use it for 2ch - the GS60 are enough.

PS. I think the main problem with signal activation is to do with some chinese sourced DVD - probably not enough bass left in audio track - been a while since I tried it so haven't verified this recently

Edited by Stephen Muir
I use a 12v trigger for the power amp, have another on the 4308 but don't have a cable to run 6 metres from receiver to SW, easier to program on remote as it is activity based than program on AVR when I preferentially don't use it for 2ch - the GS60 are enough.

PS. I think the main problem with signal activation is to do with some Chinese sourced DVD - probably not enough bass left in audio track - been a while since I tried it so haven't verified this recently

Yeah thats the advantage of having the remote access to the GSW12, you have in effect the same option as using the 12v trigger.

But yeah Chinese DVDs are not the best source to test it with. lol

What cables are you running? and sub cable?