Sign in to follow this  
mwhouston

Hybrid Systems

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

I wondered how my Altec horns would image. They image very well but now you have me thinking it has to do with, or assisted by, my Class D power amps. 

What sort of gain do you build your tube stages with ?

2 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Is that 6J6 based HP amp as preamp. Absolutely no reason why not! 

Yes the 6J6.

2 hours ago, keinesorge said:

Ive not had one on the CRO to see.  But more than enough for any of my power amps. 

3 hours ago, keinesorge said:

Using a new RMS meter with a 1KhZ signal into one channel for 1V in I can get max 8.6V out with a load of 220K. This should be a 43db gain. 

Into 510ohm load I can get max 1V out. 

19 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Using a new RMS meter with a 1KhZ signal into one channel for 1V in I can get max 8.6V out with a load of 220K. This should be a 43db gain. 

Into 510ohm load I can get max 1V out. 

Thank you for the feedback.

The unit that i got has about 15db worth of gain.  It played havoc with the 32db gain of the power amp.  With the amplifier gain setting changed to 26db the overall setup had an overall volume curve that was still too sensitive.

I'm a toob noob so when i have some free time i might look into how i can lower the gain without cropping the input.

It also has an inverted output signal from its signal drive stage.  Things i didnt know before jumping in.  :D

IMG_0104.jpg

Very happy with the current system. ModWright Instruments LS100 Tube Pre and Odyssey Audio Kismet Monoblocks. I’ve always found a tube pre and SS power gives me the sweetness and slam I like.

8 minutes ago, Chazz said:

IMG_0104.jpg

Very happy with the current system. ModWright Instruments LS100 Tube Pre and Odyssey Audio Kismet Monoblocks. I’ve always found a tube pre and SS power gives me the sweetness and slam I like.

Speakers? 

Harbeth 30.1 with two Rythmik subs crossed over, equalised and room compensated using minidsp

15 minutes ago, Chazz said:

Harbeth 30.1 with two Rythmik subs crossed over, equalised and room compensated using minidsp

I’ve heard the 30.2 a few times. Very impressive. 

I really like a tube preamp (Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3) with my class AB power amp (darTZeel NHB-108B copy). The darTZeel copy is already tube sounding despite being solid state ,  and the LTA MZ3 doesn't sound like your typical tube pre..... More like a reference level solid state pre with the imaging characteristics of tubes ;)

I think it’s obvious that tube pre and SS power amp is the more common hybrid setup. It could have gone the other way but I suspected this would be the most employed.

To add just another combo yesterday I dropped in my DIY 1/3W 1920s tubed power amp.  Because the amp uses a interstage Tranni on the input with no driver tube the input impedance is 400ohms. To drive this I used my DIY tube preamp with a SS headphone driver section. It’s happy to drive into 32ohms so 400 is easy. 

Above is a hybrid preamp with tube power amp. Now that’s mixing it up. 

Posted (edited)
On 03/07/2019 at 10:46 PM, keinesorge said:

For a little while it was:

tube pre - class d power. 

Now its back to:

passive attenuator (shunt) - class d power. 

The class d amp is a modified TPA3116.

The tube pre was a budget item with an online following on some forums (i am aware that budget and tubes dont always go together).  FX audio tube 01 with a pair of GE JAN5654w in place of the stock 6J1 items.  It sounded pretty good stock and surprisingly good when powered with a recaped GME linear supply.

One clear advantage of the hybrid setup would be a slightly richer tone.

With the current system, i have a preference for an attenuator (and series resistor) at the input of the amp.

I totally agree!  Class D brought me back to the hobby.  They can also image really well.

Mensch Meier, I suspect you guys may have never inserted Pure Class A SS Amp into your tube pre amp systems. 

Personally class D is well rounded and very polite, 

but missing so much in terms of punch, authority, layering, separation,  resolving such fine detail and that airy delicate top end.

A pure class A solid stater was the only device that simply made my Dynaudios, Tannoys, Martin Logan’s etc come to life, the speakers totally dissapear.

Just my experiences, Volker 

Edited by La scala

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, La scala said:

Mensch Meier, I suspect you guys may have never inserted Pure Class A SS Amp into your tube pre amp systems. 

Personally class D is well rounded and very polite, 

but missing so much in terms of punch, authority, layering, separation,  resolving such fine detail and that airy delicate top end.

A pure class A solid stater was the only device that simply made my Dynaudios, Tannoys, Martin Logan’s etc come to life, the speakers totally dissapear.

Just my experiences, Volker 

Hello Volker,

Unfortunately, i have had not had a pure Class A SS run amp my audio system for many years now.  Prior to the interest in Class D, the last ones were all AB.  All the complete Class D amps that i tried were good for the money.  Some better than others but none suitable for serious listening / listening for enjoyment in my room.

The only Class D amp that has made it into the rig has been a rebuilt and tweaked board (mute-shutdown circuit and snubbers added) with a clean and stiff power rail.  All the builds done for listening have remote power, with rectification and filtration external to the amplifier chassis. 

To be fair, the voicing of the system was done with other components in the chain so i cannot definitively comment on the performance of the amp in isolation.  However, from the overall result with a few stand mounted speakers, it was easy for me to end the desire for something else.

As i no longer have any commercial audio amplifiers in my hifi / backup etc, i am unable to provide a comparo.  The old gear is long gone.

Edited by keinesorge

6 hours ago, keinesorge said:

Hello Volker,

Unfortunately, i have had not had a pure Class A SS run amp my audio system for many years now.  Prior to the interest in Class D, the last ones were all AB.  All the complete Class D amps that i tried were good for the money.  Some better than others but none suitable for serious listening / listening for enjoyment in my room.

The only Class D amp that has made it into the rig has been a rebuilt and tweaked board (mute-shutdown circuit and snubbers added) with a clean and stiff power rail.  All the builds done for listening have remote power, with rectification and filtration external to the amplifier chassis. 

To be fair, the voicing of the system was done with other components in the chain so i cannot definitively comment on the performance of the amp in isolation.  However, from the overall result with a few stand mounted speakers, it was easy for me to end the desire for something else.

As i no longer have any commercial audio amplifiers in my hifi / backup etc, i am unable to provide a comparo.  The old gear is long gone.

Which board was it you tweaked? 

D class amp with tube phono and tube Dac/preamp.

Trying to upgrade the opamp if Burson would decide to deliver the bloody thing instead of lying about where it comes from.