Christian Bale post-Batman trilogy?

I followed his career pretty closely up until Batman and was in love with basically everything he did up until that point. Also liked the films between the Batman’s as well, Harsh Times is great. But for some reason my interest dropped off and I just don’t find him compelling as an actor anymore. He seems to play a lot of cartoonish characters. The weird boxer in The Fighter, Dick Cheney (that’s absolutely not material for a comedy), the fat balding guy in Americans Hustle. I don’t know, I’ve tried to watch them but the films just don’t work for me. Compare these films to All The Little Animals, for example, and his acting in the former is just in another category. It’s brilliant. I haven’t seen that intensity for a fair while.

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 1

Haven't followed his career and don't know the Batman movies at all so don't have much to compare, but i thought he was very very good in Hostiles. 

I didn't particularly like Vice - mainly because its simplistic to blame the politics of empire on an individual  - but i thought his portrayal of Dick Cheney was spookily accurate.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 1

i thought any actor doing batman would be crap as batman is a crap 2 dimentional waste of space.. but as for the boxing movie he was very very good imo. side note: if you watch the movie and watch the actual fight you will see the movie was much less intense in the fight scenes as was real life.

as for Cheney that was also great.. as for blaming cheney in real life? well those that high up never go to jail where he should be rotting.

• Like 2

And I wish the media and virtually everyone would stop referring to his dedication to looking like a character as ‘method’ acting. It’s not a method, it’s just preparation. The method is the acting itself. Gene Hackman was one of the best method actors there he ever been but He basically looked the same in all his movies. 

For the the sake of comparison. Look at both of these clips, and tell me he’s not nearly as good now. He and Mcconaughey  basically turned this b-grade shite of a movie into something really good. His character is really believable and you can see his conflicting emotions right there on the screen. I mean, holy crap, look at his change in demeanour after he hears the story he’s told. It’s really nuanced acting.

In the second clip, it’s replaced by all these fake looking mannerisms, really unsubtle hand gestures and head movements. I don’t believe any of it. It’s almost as bad as Cate Blanchett’s over acting. Am I ? ?

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 1

Could the character he playing ? 

I liked him the batman movies and terminator salvation ( at least 2/3 in) 

he has often played intense characters- the machinist, American pyshco, etc 

I've come to the conclusion he is an actor of limited vocabulary and the Batman films are really based upon the fact everyone else is acting their nuts off around the dark star of the Batman character because Batman himself is a cypher.

That kind of monomaniacal behaviour originating from a childhood experience is worthy of the man being locked up and a lengthy strict course of Jungian analysis  considering his need for dressing up in outlandish costumes and a full time carer in the form of Alfred but then again whatever makes you happy.

But compared to the misery of real children who have lost parents through violence Batman's experience and subsequent evolution is simply clinically insane.

When thinking of the TV Batman he was quite loquacious, verbose in fact compared to the modern Batman and despite the shared love of dressing up TV Batman came across as merely eccentric and naive as opposed to self-indulgent and self-obsessed.

I thought Bale was absolutely terrific in American Hustle and it was pleasing to hear him talk in complete sentences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was Out of the Furnace post Batman? That movie was fantastic.

I haven't seen stuff like the Cheney one and the big Short as the subject matter is of no interest. But I am looking forward to the Le Mans one.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2019 at 6:44 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Was Out of the Furnace post Batman? That movie was fantastic.

I haven't seen stuff like the Cheney one and the big Short as the subject matter is of no interest. But I am looking forward to the Le Mans one.

Yeah, Out of the Furnace was after. Unfortunately, I really hated that movie. Bale was ok in it but the actual story was just the pits. I got to end and was just, like, “Is that it?”.

Like I mentioned before, if you want to see how amazing he was in earlier films, check out All The Little Animals.

He was also great in Metroland, which is still an underrated, little talked about movie.

Edited by deviltoob