Some advice about adding a mat to my turntable

A couple of weeks back I got my hands on a Technics SL-1350, I'm quite happy with it though there are two shortcomings I'm trying to address with it. The table does not have VTA adjustment, which I knew going in, but also I'm noticing my records are generating quite a lot of static during playback with the stock mat. When reading the manual I noticed this;

vta.jpg.8f8112ce4eecfd6d0b8234973141d265.jpg

Given that this is an automatic changer TT, the VTA is optimal with 3 records on the platter. I'm using it just to play singles, of course, so what I was wondering is if it would be a good idea to get a cork mat to put on top of the stock rubber mat as a 'two birds, one stone' solution to bring the VTA closer to zero and to cut down on static. 

If there's no downside to this that I'm missing, what's a good cork mat? I know the pro-ject cork it is available at a pretty reasonable $30 shipped, though I did see one person complaining about it leaving bits of cork on their records. 
Thanks in advance.

To start off, I'd just get a cheap thick cork mat to get your tonearm level back to 0 degrees and begin playing around after that. Mats vary in sound so this can be synergistic to the system.

• Like 1

IMVHO, mats make very little difference to the overall sound.

Money is far better spent elsewhere, but if your mat is old and daggy the rubber/cork ones available on ebay are quite good,not expensive and should last a very long time.

Edited by rantan

11 minutes ago, rantan said:

IMVHO, mats make very little difference to the overall sound.

Money is far better spent elsewhere, but if your mat is old and daggy the rubber/cork ones available on ebay are quite good,not expensive and should last a very long time.

Sorry, have to disagree with you there, R.

Mats have made a big difference to my listening experience.  I've gone through:

• Linn felt mat
  • "Brian & Trevor's" high-density felt mat
  • cow-hide mat ... suede side up
  • cow-hide mat ... suede side down
  • mat made from the 'bubble' stuff you put at the bottom of bedroom cupboard drawers.
  • various plastic foam mats.

I'm lucky enough to have a good mate who likes trying out mats - when he finds a better-sounding one ... I buy one from him.  :)

Currently, I'm using a closed-cell foam mat with the centre (where the label sits) cut out.

Andy

Edited by andyr

To make it absolutely crystal clear, I'm not looking to buy a mat for any alleged sonic properties (I'm highly sceptical about claims of mats improving dynamic range and bass response etc. but feel free to provide measurements that demonstrate it!) but to correct my VTA and cut down on static. I figure a 3mm thick mat will bring me to roughly where I want to be, the Pro-Ject one is conveniently available, so I guess I'm asking if anyone has experience with it? 

57 minutes ago, PKay said:

That's definitely too much for my blood, lol. It's over three times what I paid for my cartridge (AT95e) and approaching half of what my turntable cost. It'd better be crafted from the pubic hairs of a unicorn and be dipped in gold for that much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doomguy said:

To make it absolutely crystal clear, I'm not looking to buy a mat for any alleged sonic properties (I'm highly sceptical about claims of mats improving dynamic range and bass response etc. but feel free to provide measurements that demonstrate it!) but to correct my VTA and cut down on static. I figure a 3mm thick mat will bring me to roughly where I want to be, the Pro-Ject one is conveniently available, so I guess I'm asking if anyone has experience with it?

Your post seems to be contradictory, D?

If, as you say, "I'm not looking to buy a mat for any alleged sonic properties" ... "but to correct my VTA" then, shirley, if the Pro-Ject mat is the right thickness - you don't care whether anyone has actually had any experience with it?

Andy

Technics make 2 rubber mats.  Thin normal  one and a thicker rubber mat.

Personally I would buy the thicker rubber mat.  Then see how close that gets you to parallel. 

A headshell spacer can also be bought, assuming you have enough tracking weight at the counterweight . Blue tack will work fine on the counterweight if needed.

These two options give you the best interface to the platter/ cartridge.   Having two mats coupled together is not ideal.

Have fun.

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Your post seems to be contradictory, D?

If, as you say, "I'm not looking to buy a mat for any alleged sonic properties" ... "but to correct my VTA" then, shirley, if the Pro-Ject mat is the right thickness - you don't care whether anyone has actually had any experience with it?

Andy

I don't care about SQ impressions, but I do care for people's experiences because I've read some claims of it, and some other cork mats, leaving little bits of cork on the records which seems rather undesirable. I am also curious about how they hold up over time in regards to general durability, as well as their effectiveness of combating static. 

10 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Technics make 2 rubber mats.  Thin normal  one and a thicker rubber mat.

Personally I would buy the thicker rubber mat.  Then see how close that gets you to parallel. 

A headshell spacer can also be bought, assuming you have enough tracking weight at the counterweight . Blue tack will work fine on the counterweight if needed.

These two options give you the best interface to the platter/ cartridge.   Having two mats coupled together is not ideal.

Have fun.

The potential issues of coupling two mats was something I forgot to ask about, however the reason I wanted to go that way is because it seems like it would be a lot easier as my table has an unusual spindle which is wider at the base (due to it being swappable it seems).

IMG_20190701_190133.thumb.jpg.7ccfecbbfbec95e35e3c71af56a949b9.jpg

The stock mat is about 3mm thick or so. 

I didn't know headshell spacers existed, thanks for the heads up, that has good potential to help me achieve the same thing. 

50 minutes ago, Doomguy said:

I don't care about SQ impressions, but I do care for people's experiences because I've read some claims of it, and some other cork mats, leaving little bits of cork on the records which seems rather undesirable. I am also curious about how they hold up over time in regards to general durability, as well as their effectiveness of combating static. 

A mat won't combat any static which you have on your records, IME.

If static is a problem for you then, if you don't wet-clean your LPs ... you need to buy a Milty ZeroStat.

Andy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, andyr said:

A mat won't combat any static which you have on your records, IME.

If static is a problem for you then, if you don't wet-clean your LPs ... you need to buy a Milty ZeroStat.

Andy

Yeah, I may end up needing to get some kind of other anti-static solution. I was basing my assumptions on this video which seems to demonstrate felt and cork imparting much less static on the record than rubber;

12 hours ago, Doomguy said:

Yeah, I may end up needing to get some kind of other anti-static solution. I was basing my assumptions on this video which seems to demonstrate felt and cork imparting much less static on the record than rubber;

Well, yes ... rubber being an insulator - it certainly doesn't conduct static away from the record surface.  :)  Then again, 30 years ago (before I started using my Nitty Gritty) I remember the Linn felt mat would sometimes be stuck to the underside of the LP, when I lifted it off.  Which says to me it won't conduct static away, either!

The video is misleading, IMO - what you want (if your records have static) is a mat which conducts away static ... which is not quite the same thing as not imparting static to the record.  I've never seen a 'conductive' mat - but possibly a CF mat has this property?

Maybe this is what you need (and you can buy it in Oz)?:  https://www.storedj.com.au/am-anti-static-record-mat-carbon-fibre-felt

Andy

I use the blue horizon split natural rubber / cork mat. have used for years pretty happy

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/blue-horizon-record-mat.html

I do have the thick rubber mat I havent used. I should put it up for sale incase useable for someone. 

43 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Isn't closed cell foam normally thick?

Have no idea, Mahdie.  It was an assumption on my part - so maybe I'm mistaken.  It's about 3mm thick.

Andy

The ProJect cork mat is as good as any basic cork mat.  I was in Bunnings the other day and saw large cork mats, getting one and cutting it to size might be a cheap way to test.  When you get it you could try the cork on top, and then with the rubber on top, to see which sounds best.  And yes, I believe that the mat can influence the character of the turntable's sound.  Don't use felt as a spacer, they are only good for dj's who need to slip the disks.  Another option would be to get a junk turntable for $5 from a garage sale and harvest the rubber mat from it. 

On 02/07/2019 at 10:08 AM, audiofeline said:

The ProJect cork mat is as good as any basic cork mat.  I was in Bunnings the other day and saw large cork mats, getting one and cutting it to size might be a cheap way to test.  When you get it you could try the cork on top, and then with the rubber on top, to see which sounds best.  And yes, I believe that the mat can influence the character of the turntable's sound.  Don't use felt as a spacer, they are only good for dj's who need to slip the disks.  Another option would be to get a junk turntable for $5 from a garage sale and harvest the rubber mat from it. 

i do believe the blue horizon one i have though is natural rubber impregnetated. for what ever thats worth. so woudl be different to just cork? though your idea is quite valid to get some core cut up for size at bunnings to try  :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i do believe the blue horizon one i have though is natural rubber impregnetated. for what ever thats worth. so woudl be different to just cork? though your idea is quite valid to get some core cut up for size at bunnings to try  :) 

Some people believe that the rubber/cork mix mats are superior to cork.  I haven't compared.  However, I belelive that the turntable's characteristics will influence how different mats will sound.  Years ago I was surprised when I put a esoteric (rubber) mat on my very entry-level turntable.  It was terrible on the one I upgraded to - it was too heavy and the weight lowered the suspension so structural components underneath the platter would hit the underplatter and prevent it from rotating. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Some people believe that the rubber/cork mix mats are superior to cork.  I haven't compared.  However, I belelive that the turntable's characteristics will influence how different mats will sound.  Years ago I was surprised when I put a esoteric (rubber) mat on my very entry-level turntable.  It was terrible on the one I upgraded to - it was too heavy and the weight lowered the suspension so structural components underneath the platter would hit the underplatter and prevent it from rotating. 

yep you want the table to be made for it/to take it. as a note my corke/rubber matt really no different to regas felt.... both are quite light weight. I do have a full rubber thick matt but dont use it. it is meant and designed i believe for the technics units rather than lighter tables like the regas :)

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 10:08 AM, audiofeline said:

Don't use felt as a spacer, they are only good for dj's who need to slip the disks.

I can sense Ivor's storm troopers are getting restless, as a result of that comment.  :lol:

Andy

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yep you want the table to be made for it/to take it. as a note my corke/rubber matt really no different to regas felt.... both are quite light weight. I do have a full rubber thick mat but don't use it. it is meant and designed i believe for the technics units rather than lighter tables like the regas :)

Sorry, bb - I can understand why a heavy mat wouldn't be a good match for a sprung TT like an LP12 ... but I don't get why it would be worse for a Rega than a Technics - neither of which have a spring suspension?

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Sorry, bb - I can understand why a heavy mat wouldn't be a good match for a sprung TT like an LP12 ... but I don't get why it would be worse for a Rega than a Technics - neither of which have a spring suspension?

Andy

there's only a very skinny rubber band dragging the thing around on a rega. probably unaware of the rather thick (need to add more spacers on rega for VTA) and heavy rubber matt im talking about. the technics is a direct drive.