Tom Gleesons opening monologue speech

2 hours ago, blybo said:

didn't even know they were on, was too busy barracking for India to beat England in the cricket.

me neither, this thread actually prompted me to watch and after seeing his acceptance speech I'm glad I did, edge of your seat kind of stuff when 99% or the room would give their left arm to win a Gold and he couldn't care....... made for a cringeworthy speech that was entertaining to say the least.

13 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Lots and lots of dropped lips , he showed what a pissant affair the Logies are......

...or the true character of the man, with no respect for the Industry or the award.

For me, it was somewhat painful to watch him parodying everyone. Now, if it was a celebrity roast!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Seth said:

...or the true character of the man, with no respect for the Industry or the award.

For me, it was somewhat painful to watch him parodying everyone. Now, if it was a celebrity roast!

I didn’t see any parody. What do you by ‘him parodying everyone’?

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 2

For me the only true charachter that was shown was that of Waleed Aly (post award interview the following day) and Amanda Keller (particularly during his acceptance speech on the night).

Gleeson was good, but Ricky Gervais is the master at this, especially his years of hosting the Golden Globes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deviltoob said:

I didn’t see any parody. What do you by ‘him parodying everyone’?

I couldn't bother with the dictionary until questioned. Apologies  for any confusion.

I should have used the term satire (much more general), ridicule, "poke fun at".

Better?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

He looks to have guaranteed even lower ratings next year by voicing what we all think . Be interesting how next years gold logie speech pans out ^_^

As usual the sitting ducks like  Karl Stephanovic kept the animosity between channels alive ; a bogies tradition :)

If the logies are ever to gain some credibility back they will have to rejig the voting ; from 2016 when there was 2 categories - 1 of them easily manipulated by a clever comedian who needs a dollar :) After all he's put the boot into a lot of towns around Aus on Pickerings show ; this is a natural extension ?

The Logies this year are divided into two categories, one credible, one not so much. What are misleadingly called "The Bests" are supposedly based on public voting, while the "Most Outstandings" are based on the judgment of industry experts (like the Emmys and the Baftas)

7 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I agree with everything he said, and he’s right, it’s just an award, tomorrow is another day. 

Yep a whole bunch  of self important w@nkers getting dumped on by one of their own who can see through the vainess  of it all, glorious. 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...