FS: price drop **Genelec 8000 series active 5.0 surround set

Item: Genelec 8000 series active 5.0 surround set
Price: $2200
Item Condition: 6 mths old
Reason for selling: Going with inwall set up: Genelec
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: We have commenced renovations at our house and I have decided to go with an AT screen. Hence would like to go flush mount speakers, which will be Genelecs.

What is on offer here is:

3 x 8030c active monitors

2 x 8010a active monitors

I'll also include in the price:

3 x GENELEC 8000-402B wall brackets

2 x KONIG & MEYER 26740 monitor stands

3 x Isotek initium power cables to power the front stage

I will not split up this package, if it doesn't sell at this price I will build the screen wall out deeper and use these monitors as they are the best home theatre speakers I have heard for anywhere near the money.

Much prefer local pick up for this package also as the stands are heavy and awkward to pack.

Everything was purchased locally from a pro audio dealer.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

Genelec 1.jpg

Genelec 2.jpg

Edited by corza13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thunder 99 said:

Can you connect this 5.0 setup to a PC?

If you have the correct 5.0 output on a PC and the right cables and adaptors, it can be done.  ** If you only have HDMI, no

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

2 minutes ago, thunder 99 said:

What is the correct output on a PC and cable/adaptors needed? Since this has an XLR input.

You need a 5.1 channel pre-out on PC which is likely to be RCA only.  You can buy RCA to XLR cables or use XLR adaptors for existing RCA cables.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunder 99 said:

Can you connect this 5.0 setup to a PC?

If spending this sort of cash on active speakers, do them justice and get a an AV processor or AV receiver with pre-outs too. No point reinventing the wheel or going down a road that's rarely travelled.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, corza13 said:

Yes, not sure whether you could do that. Would need volume control and XLR or rca-xlr output

It can be done by using a sound card, optical out to an adaptor with RCA output, XLR convertor feed to Genelec. Volume control on sound card.

26 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

If spending this sort of cash on active speakers, do them justice and get a an AV processor or AV receiver with pre-outs too. No point reinventing the wheel or going down a road that's rarely travelled.

Agree that getting AV processor is the better way, but if thunder 99 already has a good sound card and limited budget, my suggested approach can be an interim step.

• Like 1

The thing with an AV processor is that it will be on most of the time (as the computer is used much more often than just the occasional TV) and I am not sure about the longevity of an AV processor with heavy usage.

Secondly, I was thinking an internal sound card like an Asus Xonar - But not sure whether that would do the trick - These are active speakers so it doesn't seem like the card would need to give them power. But not sure if that would work.

6 minutes ago, thunder 99 said:

The thing with an AV processor is that it will be on most of the time (as the computer is used much more often than just the occasional TV) and I am not sure about the longevity of an AV processor with heavy usage.

Secondly, I was thinking an internal sound card like an Asus Xonar - But not sure whether that would do the trick - These are active speakers so it doesn't seem like the card would need to give them power. But not sure if that would work.

An AV processor will probably last longer than an AVR, no amps, less heat. True that it get less used than computer but it is your call.

No expertise with sound cards, had a quick look at Asus Sonar, it mentions a S/PDIF adaptor which could work.

I think you are getting confused about an active speaker.  Think of it as a amplifier + speaker.  It does not need power from the sound card. It needs an analogue sound signal. I have not been able to find a sound card with 5.1 analogue output, usually have 2.0.  Hence the need for another adaptor to take a 5.1 optical output and convert it to 5.1 analogue. Which is what an AV processor will do  as well, and do it a lot better than sound card + 5.1 optical to analogue converter or sound card with 5.1 analogue (if any).

---

If you are looking to put together a very good home theatre, the Genelec speakers deliver. If you are looking to add home theatre to a PC setup, probably overkill.  

1 hour ago, corza13 said:

Price adjusted as I've definitely decided to go install speakers now

Unless you owned active speakers, which I have,  it is difficult to appreciate how good they are in a HT setup. Not need to worry about how much power an AVR needs, no need for space for power amps. I think you will need to be patient and wait for the right person to come along...

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 5:34 PM, corza13 said:

I will not split up this package, if it doesn't sell at this price I will build the screen wall out deeper and use these monitors as they are the best home theatre speakers I have heard for anywhere near the money.

The performance opinion of Corza can't be underestimated either, he has experienced a myriad of high performance speakers/amps in his time and knows performance!

These would be perfect for a dedicated room and exceptional value at that, just add a processor!

• Like 2