Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Chilli Salami - is there a source ?

On 06/09/2019 at 8:16 PM, Tubularbells said:

Salami finally ready for a taste today. Smoked half the batch using redgum and boy oh boy it tastes delish @betty boop would love to hear you thoughts on how this compares.

20190821_021332.thumb.jpg.46e2e2b0d6e719e90ff0d674e881988f.jpg

20190814_112459.thumb.jpg.1d70b2dfad2deff484c78cd041720bd5.jpg

20190814_115204.thumb.jpg.ecf5b0bf4fe4dd387701d3ee2b0a7426.jpg

20190814_154258.thumb.jpg.42cad11dc3276598a0a8ec354255114b.jpg

IMG-20190906-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.7fba260396c2e3c862e8b13aefa22d45.jpeg

I was lucky enough yesterday to try both the smoked and unsmoked salami and I can confirm that they taste as good as they look !!

The use of only high quality ingredients really shines through and as a result they have a really beautiful flavour and texture. 

@betty boop I don't think you'll be at all disappointed if you source your salami from @Tubularbells.

@Tubularbells - looks amazing. Must sample.

Plenty of Chilli in this home made salami (many of you have tried it over the years). It's been too long between GTGs!

This was the last of May 2018's batch last night :(  The new (2019) batch is almost ready but sadly and so far not as good as last years.

file-24.jpeg

Maybe we need a Salami Bar at this year's show? Oh ... too many puns there.

Anybody wish to share their Chilli Salami Recipe or a good base recipe?

2 hours ago, Marc said:

But coming from a Salami Pundit, it goes without saying that they'd be tasteful and above board?

On 09/09/2019 at 10:03 AM, tesla13BMW said:

Anybody wish to share their Chilli Salami Recipe or a good base recipe?

Sure thing. Here's my basic recipe from 3 years ago but have been playing around with it a bit since then. Only rule is the 2.6-3% salt and acid (wine and/or paprika relish) to keep it safe from dangerous bacteria whilst it cures. Ready when it loses about 25-30% of its original weight and can put just about anything else in there in terms of spices.

•    2.3kg pounds pork (mix of 2 shoulder and neck)
    •    50 grams (about 3 tablespoons) kosher salt
    •    20 grams brown sugar
    •    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    •    1 tablespoon Fennel seed
    •    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    •    1 teaspoon cayenne
    •    1 tablespoons hot smoked paprika
    •    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    •    3 tablespoons crushed chilli flakes
    •    1/4 cup Paprika Relish Hot (Marco Polo brand)
    •    1/3 cup red wine (Jacobs Creek double barrel)

Thanks Doug for reminding me of my childhood. (Yes sarcastic tone)

Ordering a whole pig from a farmer, and having to cut it all up by hand. (No machines in those days, and us kids were cheap labor also).

Nothing was scrapped. Every little bit used. The variety of products that came out of the shed that weekend was mind-blowing.

And no-one got sick either.

Between that, making sauce, bread, pasta, pickling vegetables, wine-making, olive pressing, etc, etc,   -just another reason to be teased for being a w*g at school.

Thanks @Tubularbells for the recipe.  I am going to construct a drying cabinet as we are never going to get cool enough in Brisbane to open are dry.  Need to read some more as to whether to have both humidification and dehumidification.  Would be nice to have it controlled by hygrometer, but, may end up manipulating humidity with rock salt for dehydration and salt water for hydration.

First run I am actually going to use "Banquet Bags" and cure in the fridge.  Not authentic but safe!

Made 72 salami's yesterday just in time to test the new cold smoke generator "smokai" I recieved today using some cherry wood. Bit of a jerry rig right now just to try it out and yeah I know salami isn't traditionally smoked but hey I like smoke...

20190917_133638.jpg

20190917_132151.jpg

20190917_132127.jpg

On 09/09/2019 at 7:36 AM, Marc said:

@Tubularbells - looks amazing. Must sample.

Plenty of Chilli in this home made salami (many of you have tried it over the years). It's been too long between GTGs!

This was the last of May 2018's batch last night :(  The new (2019) batch is almost ready but sadly and so far not as good as last years.

file-24.jpeg

I remember trying it had a freshness to it the shop bought ones just dont have :) 

6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Made 72 salami's yesterday just in time to test the new cold smoke generator "smokai" I recieved today using some cherry wood. Bit of a jerry rig right now just to try it out and yeah I know salami isn't traditionally smoked but hey I like smoke...

20190917_133638.jpg

20190917_132151.jpg

20190917_132127.jpg

what are you doing with all these salami's ! :D

are they being re purposed for the good of the community or just test subjects only in the interests of science :) 

Checking out @Tubularbells chilli salami...two versions one smoked one not.

0I9A2566.jpg

not too sure on the smoked vs non smoked, as not sure enough difference to bother, but very much like either overall. I reckon could up the chilli easily though ! so pretty close to there I think :)

also got to see the Devi'ls Grill in action ! wow what a setup !  really quite something. certainly doesnt hold back TB not only in effort or ingredients :)