Chilli Salami - is there a source ?

Made 72 salami's yesterday just in time to test the new cold smoke generator "smokai" I recieved today using some cherry wood. Bit of a jerry rig right now just to try it out and yeah I know salami isn't traditionally smoked but hey I like smoke...

20190917_133638.jpg

20190917_132151.jpg

20190917_132127.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salami finally ready for a taste today. Smoked half the batch using redgum and boy oh boy it tastes delish @betty boop would love to hear you thoughts on how this compares.    

Yeah me!   As soon as I get me second kitchen finished (hopefully inn the next 2-3 weeks) i'll be making a big batch!!! Only real meat and love goes into my salami...ahem let me think about

I was lucky enough yesterday to try both the smoked and unsmoked salami and I can confirm that they taste as good as they look !!   The use of only high quality ingredients really shines thr

• Moderators
On 09/09/2019 at 7:36 AM, Marc said:

@Tubularbells - looks amazing. Must sample.

Plenty of Chilli in this home made salami (many of you have tried it over the years). It's been too long between GTGs!

This was the last of May 2018's batch last night :(  The new (2019) batch is almost ready but sadly and so far not as good as last years.

file-24.jpeg

Maybe we need a Salami Bar at this year's show? Oh ... too many puns there.

I remember trying it had a freshness to it the shop bought ones just dont have :) 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Made 72 salami's yesterday just in time to test the new cold smoke generator "smokai" I recieved today using some cherry wood. Bit of a jerry rig right now just to try it out and yeah I know salami isn't traditionally smoked but hey I like smoke...

20190917_133638.jpg

20190917_132151.jpg

20190917_132127.jpg

what are you doing with all these salami's ! :D

are they being re purposed for the good of the community or just test subjects only in the interests of science :) 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Checking out @Tubularbells chilli salami...two versions one smoked one not.

0I9A2566.jpg

not too sure on the smoked vs non smoked, as not sure enough difference to bother, but very much like either overall. I reckon could up the chilli easily though ! so pretty close to there I think :)

also got to see the Devi'ls Grill in action ! wow what a setup !  really quite something. certainly doesnt hold back TB not only in effort or ingredients :) 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • Moderators

our local market salami guy I mentioned earlier in this thread, has become a regular, so been buying bit of below (hot and spicy mettwurst) as we need.... its VERY good ! he also does an even spicier buffalo one ... but not tried that yet !

IMG_1284.jpeg 

Mr Bells i haven't had the good fortune to catch any of his later batches :D

enjoyed last lot he had, beauty with his stuff it doesn't have the additives most including above tend to use ... 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Marc said:

@Tubularbells - selling it? We didn't make salami this year given it's a massive family event and COVID-19 says no.

I might have a stick or 3 spare 🤫

This was a batch I made on June 8th from a recipe from an old Italian nonna  and is an extremely basic (but good) chilli version. Not legally allowed to sell to the public though as this one is free from Nitrites or any other nasty  preservatives using the old salt (3%) & acid (paprika relish) technique for the curing process. but am happy to hand out some samples to those in need.

20200608_175310.thumb.jpg.9682b260e7e2572d7512e2632f90d6f7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If anyone lives in, or is passing through, East Gippsland, I can reccomend David Luckes Fresh Food Market in Bairnsdale.

I lived across the river from this place, they have their own in-house butchers and smallgoods makers.

Their salami is great and they have a chili and a hot chili version, both excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Down on the Peninsula, we've got some choices. Tully's on Moorooduc Highway, or Cibo in our local village. Don't have to go much further afield than that.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

we've got some pizza happening tonight ...will definitely be popping some chilli salami on along with a bit of chorizo for good measure :D 

• Moderators

Sucker for punishment perhaps... market guy convinced me I got to try one of his new creations !!!

22E3036E-E2B7-4E21-80BB-96AA05DFEE83.jpeg

mother in law’s kiss !!! Hehe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And here she is......all 4.5kg of cured chilli and pork goodness. 

Second pic is shown with a wheel of carolina reaper Gouda my sis & BIL made for me (they are boutique cheese makers)

20200719_090512.thumb.jpg.4f8263a0a25ba250fe5c1e0292d59c27.jpg

20200719_093928.thumb.jpg.27c8b121dfc091ddf87d31646c8a1400.jpg

20200719_093440.thumb.jpg.e9f500985f3a868a2820c7e6ae612b35.jpg

• Love 2
6 hours ago, betty boop said:

Sucker for punishment perhaps... market guy convinced me I got to try one of his new creations !!!

22E3036E-E2B7-4E21-80BB-96AA05DFEE83.jpeg

mother in law’s kiss !!! Hehe

Ha love it!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this 👍

Edited by Tubularbells
typo
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
20 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ha love it!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this 👍

I think i have to have myself prepared for it . the guy was quoting all sorts of chillies and peppers he's packed into the thing... something along lines this got one hellva kick ...  ! :D 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I think i have to have myself prepared for it . the guy was quoting all sorts of chillies and peppers he's packed into the thing... something along lines this got one hellva kick ...  ! :D 

Well if its anything like my MIL it will be Dragon hot! 🔥

• Haha 1

On 18/07/2020 at 4:19 PM, Cloth Ears said:

Tully's on Moorooduc Highway...

I know Tully's, they have a lot of nice deli stuff and other produce.

• Moderators

we couldn't resist anymore checking out the mother in laws kiss ! 

IMG_1291.jpeg

daughter was the first to jump on it to try... i said you sure ? she said yes sure... ok :D

she spun around and said it was like explosion in the mouth that goes to ears and then stomach... but its very quick ... sorta intense kick :D 

I had to have a piece its like a rapid high impact implosion.... and then gone... which makes you crave for more ...

nice on some egg on toast for brunch ! :) 

IMG_1294.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pwstereo said:

I know Tully's, they have a lot of nice deli stuff and other produce.

I think the same people have Doppio Zero. Which, if they ever open again, has some of the best pizza in Melbourne.

• Like 1