Collectable records at my op-shop

My local op-shop previously sold records for $1, and I got quite a few over the years from them, but not many that I would classify as an exciting buy.  However, the record merchandising at the op-shop has changed over the last few months.  Someone told them that records are valuable and collectable, and so they brought in an expert (or maybe they had one in-house) to scrutinize record donations. 

They now separate "collectable" records: 

• Non-collectable records are the usual op-shop fodder, and remain at $1.00 (eg. the usual Reader's Digest's, and other op-shop staples). 
  • The "collectable" records are mostly in very good condition (record and covers).  Initially they were priced at $20.00 each (a 200% increase on the previous price), but now they are at $10.00 each. 
  • Then there is another grade between these two extremes, priced at $4.00 each.  

I'm a bit hesitant to let you know what's in the "collectable" bin, as I don't want the secret to get out and I miss out on my honey-hole.  But I'm not going to buy these (well, I can't buy them all), so I thought I would share a selection to keep you abreast of what's in the "collectable" record market these days.  I've indicated the label so the pressings are clarified (sorry, haven't checked the deadwax for any hot-stampers). 

• "Amazing Grace" by the Royal Scotts Dragoon Guards (RCA)
  • "The London Balalaika Ensemble" (World Record Club / WWC)
  • Acker Bilk - 3x records (WWC)
  • Otis Skillings - "Christmas Splendor and Majesty"
  • Kamahl (4x records, can you believe it?  Get in quick!)
  • "The World of Mantovani"
  • "Christmas at Home" (Hallmark)
  • "John Macnally's Ireland"
  • "Here Comes the Ghurkers" - the Ghurkers pipe and drum band
  • James Last
  • "Masterpiece" - classical compilation, with the gold cover (EMI)
  • "3AK Beautiful Music" - compilation (and there was another in the $4 bin!)
  • The City Slickers - "Old Time Dance Party" (W+G)
  • Rachmaninoff (the Funk+Wagnell's edition)
  • Brian May and the ABC Showband - "Hits of the 70's" (Hammond)
  • more Scottish pipe bands records
  • more WWC records (classical, the retrospective series, etc)
  • etc.

Also in this bin were a few DG classical records, which might be considered to be closer in value to $10.  And I will also say that although I haven't bought many records since this new pricing strategy has come into play (largely because few - at any price point - have been of interest), they are a charity.  And a charity I have donated considerable amounts of my time supporting, so I know first-hand what a good job they do. So the money for these "collectables" does go to a good cause that is worth supporting. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Haha 2

Hi there audiofeline

I agree with you 100% regarding the charity fund raising of the Op-shops.

I bought a near mint copy of Miles Davis' "******* Brew" (what an iconic cover!) at my local op shop for $1.00 plus some other albums including John Coltrane.

Fortunately the staff there don't bother about "collectable" records yet.

I usually have a browse at least once a week.

• Like 1

I visit op shops as often as possible but rarely bother looking through the vinyl as the hit rate is abysmal. CDs on the other hand are amazing and I rarely come away empty handed, spending $3 tops per disc.

• Like 3

Guest Simonon

Todays local market find. Sometimes you get lucky 1st Uk mono Sgt Peppers in very good plus condition with poster and original sleeves. Beggars banquet 1st South African pressing and mint from the Salvos for 5 dollars. Found it mixed in with some Barry Manilow. Its more fun to get records this way than paying the rip off prices at many Record stores.51d674be15870746a34baa6ec39d3b6b.jpg&key=4b67fafe1a1c88288067af505857d8d98a90894d37b46962e900f463ae2c90e6032fd9c46f5c8626e9c0a610b4ae98d1.jpg&key=2111d4fe1533ec1eeb606c26861decef2e93a2cc50cd5a5754d024cb33be521ddc8d4ad643f9fc83845411cc10d648b6.jpg&key=29b052b652b69856fdf2fa3a3f0525c64a7fc059dff3e6be129ff7ecd1252adf6befec025cabc4edad43dfeeed7610d8.jpg&key=ba754a6e10f80de2babacdd406edcfbaaa47a185fd95992fe97d3ef013565597979a3c060239defb8bd67f9bb8719944.jpg&key=e6567ec382a0ee4fef4458d6a91a1efddfeef4c21dad1686dc3897efcd4f8b46

I agree Grizzly.
CD’s are an Op Shop bargain!
I use the cheap price to:
a) discover new music (only a couple of dollars wasted if it sucks);
B) buy that album by the artist who you really only like 1 or 2 songs, so have resisted buying whole album

I know I could probably download...but for a couple of dollars I can own FOREVER on a CD[emoji106]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Simonon

Morphettville market this morning @ 2 dollars each. CDs dont have a mark on them. Still reckon they sound better than a download or streamed via Tidal Hifi. b618095c9da0bbf2a379514c37b8d9be.jpg&key=2d77ab77551c3311fb4c6ebdf5dda77cc14f242d1e8df70648fc68a93a00a9e8

72887a65175d13ce7b5c62ca2dae7fd2.jpg

7 hours ago, hired goon said:

$10 each for records of Scottish pipes and Acker Bilk?

Really? 

What I am with isn't it ... if that is what the cool kids are listening to these days.

--Geoff

The majority of these records have been in the bin since the "collectors item" bin was created.

We do know that with selling collectables that you do need to wait until the right type of collector comes along!

I’ve been running a business selling collectibles sourced from op shops (not CDs or LPs) amongst other places for two decades.  Near enough makes a living for two.  By and large op shops should leave special pricing alone.  They generally have no idea.  In the area I do know in a professional way they almost never get it right.  The silliest effort I’ve seen is putting items in a taped plastic bag with a note ‘selling for $62 on Ebay’.  Unsurprisingly that op shop closed.  And as you say, who pays money for bagpipes and Kamahl or nineteenth century religious tomes.

The best sort of op shops have flat pricing, all shirts $2, all books $1.  It means they get flow of stock which will bring customers to look more often.  I know from talking to lots of volunteers they have way more stuff than they know what to do with, so move it on.

• Like 1

Wow! Do they really have "Here Comes the Ghurkers" - the Ghurkers pipe and drum band - for only $10?!?!?!?

That's the missing piece in my collection of Ghurker band albums!!! It's way more than that on Discogs, if you can find a copy at all.

Sarcasm aside, I agree with the prior comments on CD's being where the magic is at in op-shops and pawn/Cash Convertors shops.

They're throwing them away and I am a fan of physical ownership of music, not hiring it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Simonon

A great present for that discerning vinyl loving audiophile on their birthday is Music to grow plants by, Alan Seale. Readily available at opshops for one dollar. A great present to show them you care and to ensure happy plants in the household.b420355c6a70cf20611cc2b29107acba.jpg

6 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

Wow! Do they really have "Here Comes the Ghurkers" - the Ghurkers pipe and drum band - for only $10?!?!?!?

That's the missing piece in my collection of Ghurker band albums!!! It's way more than that on Discogs, if you can find a copy at all.

Sarcasm aside, I agree with the prior comments on CD's being where the magic is at in op-shops and pawn/Cash Convertors shops.

They're throwing them away and I am a fan of physical ownership of music, not hiring it.

"I saw the Ghurka Pipe and Drum band play to a crowd of 8 people at a tiny pub in the early 90s" says the young, sombre bespectabled and bearded bloke, as he sipped his tiny cup of ethically sourced crowdfunded single origin olive oil, "That was before they hit the bigtime and sold out"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Simonon said:

A great present for that discerning vinyl loving audiophile on their birthday is Music to grow plants by, Alan Seale. Readily available at opshops for one dollar. A great present to show them you care and to ensure happy plants in the household.b420355c6a70cf20611cc2b29107acba.jpg

I'm not aware of this disk, I will keep my collector's eye out for it.  I'm confident it will help my Ikea plastic plants grow!  I'm sure it will keep the aphids away.  I wonder if this record is prone to emphasising sibilance?  One would hope they used a de-Esser in the studio!

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

I'm not aware of this disk, I will keep my collector's eye out for it.  I'm confident it will help my Ikea plastic plants grow!  I'm sure it will keep the aphids away.  I wonder if this record is prone to emphasising sibilance?  One would hope they used a de-Esser in the studio!

GOLD!!!!

Alan Sssssseale!
  • Haha 1