Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Marc

LOEWE GOES BUST

Recommended Posts

On 28/06/2019 at 1:31 PM, aasza said:

And what about Metz, they made nice TV's too

I had (it is still working at my in-laws house although the remote has disappeared) a Metz Artos 82. Fantastic picture quality. This was my first tv, it was replaced by the 50" Panasonic G10 which is still working in my living room.

Edited by Mr_Gadget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

I had (it is still working at my in-laws house although the remote has disappeared) a Metz Artos 82. Fantastic picture quality. This was my first tv, it was replaced by the 50" Panasonic G10 which is still working in my living room.

Metz artos was a fantastic set. The loewe and Metz has a look to them that Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic of time couldn’t match. Metz was another with the built in dtv tuner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Metz artos was a fantastic set. The loewe and Metz has a look to them that Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic of time couldn’t match. Metz was another with the built in dtv tuner

Yes I paid an extra $400-$500 for the DTV tuner card! The tv cost me about the same price as what I paid for my current 65" Sony Z9D! 

 

How on earth did I afford the Metz at the time???

Edited by Mr_Gadget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad to hear.  It was amazing what German software could do to a Sharp LCD panel.  The difference was night and day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, DJGopal said:

It was amazing what German software could do to a Sharp LCD panel.  The difference was night and day.

They were justifiably proud of their expertise in designing CRT TVs and they became software tweakers in subsequent technology.  Yes, picture was better but the gap between their panel TVs and others was nowhere as large as their lead in CRT TVs.  In quite a number of posts here, there was a desire, even lust for their CRT TVs because they were so good.  I do not recall a similar aura attached to the Loewe panel TVs.  The company lost its edge then and never recovered...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

They were justifiably proud of their expertise in designing CRT TVs and they became software tweakers in subsequent technology.  Yes, picture was better but the gap between their panel TVs and others was nowhere as large as their lead in CRT TVs.  In quite a number of posts here, there was a desire, even lust for their CRT TVs because they were so good.  I do not recall a similar aura attached to the Loewe panel TVs.  The company lost its edge then and never recovered...

They did lose their way for a little while in the early flat panels and their 42" 720p plasma was just dismal with all major Japanese manufacturer's offerings easily outperforming it.  They then got their act together and started producing amazing LCD flatpanels with Feznel glass fronts and steel styling and their intelligent frame creation technology was class leading.

Image result for loewe 40" tv 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJGopal said:

They did lose their way for a little while in the early flat panels and their 42" 720p plasma was just dismal with all major Japanese manufacturer's offerings easily outperforming it.  They then got their act together and started producing amazing LCD flatpanels with Feznel glass fronts and steel styling and their intelligent frame creation technology was class leading.

Image result for loewe 40" tv 2010

I did read about it but forgot. When that came out,  I had lost interest in Loewe for some time and did not follow their development despite being a happy CRT TV owner.  I suspect I was not alone and many people who had affinity for the Loewe brand drifted away, no longer willing to pay the premium...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I did read about it but forgot. When that came out,  I had lost interest in Loewe for some time and did not follow their development despite being a happy CRT TV owner.  I suspect I was not alone and many people who had affinity for the Loewe brand drifted away, no longer willing to pay the premium...

You are quite correct.  It took probably 5 years for them to come anywhere near the picture quality they delivered on their top of the range CRT "Aconda" which was absolutely jaw dropping.  A lot of people went off the brand in that time and their return to form took too long, which left them often using raw panels that were 2,3 or even 4 generations older than the offerings from the Japanese brands.  They also had some major reliability issues in that era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 27/06/2019 at 10:26 AM, rowbo said:

I used to dream of owning a wide-screen Loewe CRT back in the day. Everytime i went into my stereo shop they always looked so amazing - whether it was normal TV or a VHS/DVD. What a pity they closing down.

I still have mine,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costco Melbourne has the 55" Loewe OLED 4K for $2000 today.   Great buying but..............................

 

2 yr warranty.   Where do you go after the 2 years with a defunct company?

 

 

 

Regards Cazzesman

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Costco Melbourne has the 55" Loewe OLED 4K for $2000 today.   Great buying but..............................

 

2 yr warranty.   Where do you go after the 2 years with a defunct company?

 

 

 

Regards Cazzesman

 

I'd still snap it up, the chances of any parts that failed actually being proprietary are slim to none.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contacted the Loewe Australian distributor.     Tells me all warranty covered and Business As Usual.

 

Loewe having big troubles with union demands for higher wages and shorter working week which is pushing their costs up above the rest.     Sounds like they have run the business in such a way and gone into receivership so they can escape the union pressures and will then rise again. 

 

My Panam Plasma still looking good so will pass at the moment but Loewe damn good buying.

 

Regards Cazzesman

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...