Sign in to follow this  
Janus77

Demo'ing hifi gear at home.

Howdy folks.  Do hifi shops rent/demo out equipment so people can try it in their system at home?  I'm wondering if a higher end dac, like a Chord Qutest would be a worthwhile investment (it would be by far the most expensive component), given our listening is 100% digital streaming.  However buying a Qutest without being able to do a side by side comparison with my current DAC isn't going to happen.  I'm happy to pay to rent.  Figured i'd post up here and see if this is something shops do, or they only allow demo at their store?

I'm in the inner west of Sydney, so would need to find a store who allow take home demo.

cheers :)

Harry York from Audio Genesis is very good when it comes to try before you buy and happy to do home demo before payment. Not sure he has Chord DASC's, however

It depends on the shop.  You can ask them, you have nothing to loose by doing so. 

Some might ask for you to pay a substantial deposit, or pay for the item, on agreement that it's refunded if returned in good condition within the agreed time-span.

Pay full price with the right of return within 14 days, have it put in writing with "theirs & yours" signature. They will have a fair idea if it's an improvement compared to what you have if they are worth their salt & shouldn't have a problem with it....

Posted (edited)

In Sydney I have had home loan demo gear from The Lifestyle Store out near Parramatta and Len Wallis Audio In Lane Cove.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO