Where to buy a good 18” Driver

Maverick59

Hi Guys 

I live in Perth and finding it nearly impossible to find a retailer that sells high end sub woofer drivers . I have to make my own cabinet because of the position . What I am looking for is something like the HST 18” ,  but unfortunately they can only be bought in the USA . Does anybody know of anywhere in Australia that sell a similar driver. 

Thanks in advance

Adrian 

Edited by Maverick59

Hi Adrian,

As you already know sourcing from the USA is probably your best bet. The cost of shipping from overseas is the same or less than the mark up charged by a local supplier. You are essentially looking for a PA driver with the 18” size so look for them at local DJ equipment suppliers or see here from USA for lots of choices.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=18” bass driver&sitesearch=true

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Adrian

there is a place in Perth call ProDriva/Studio Speakers since you mentioned high end they are stocking Volt Drivers Studio series .Recently I have bought some drivers for my self and service is exceptionally good. Please note that those drivers are very expensive but I got prices which were cheaper then in US.

https://www.pro-driva.com/studio.html

Edited by jkn

Thanks everyone for there support. I have looked at the Dayton UM 18-22-18 but with my restricted cabinet size I can only get it down to 15hz  , l would like to get down to 10 hz if possible. I shall give pro-drive a call today and see what they have. 15” is definitely a option if I can get it down to 10hz .

Thanks again everyone 

Adrian

19 hours ago, jkn said:

there is a place in Perth call ProDriva/Studio Speakers since you mentioned high end they are stocking Volt Drivers Studio series .

None of the Volt drivers are even remotely close to an HST18 in Fs or Vd.

14 hours ago, Maverick59 said:

Thanks everyone for there support. I have looked at the Dayton UM 18-22-18 but with my restricted cabinet size I can only get it down to 15hz  , l would like to get down to 10 hz if possible.

Unless you're going to have several, you'll be Vd limited that low and won't get enough SPL to make it worth the effort (remember Fletcher Munson). Port it to around 20Hz* and get a Crowson for below that.

For most of the great sub drivers, unless you import yourself, you're SOL.

* Say, a Full Marty.  Already designed for you with many successful builds.

Edited by A9X
  • Like 1

Got some figures back on the Volt 28hz was its limit and $1250 . 

I had a reply back about the HST 18 they will ship to Australia and they are saying it will work in sealed or ported configuration with the box volume l have to work with. 

Even if it ends up costing me 2k to have it sitting on my doorstep it will still be worth considering 

27 minutes ago, Maverick59 said:

Even if it ends up costing me 2k to have it sitting on my doorstep it will still be worth

Add a DSP Pro amp to drive it (if you don't already have something suitable) and it'll still be a much better sub than you can buy for the same $.

If it wasn’t for the depth of the PSA 3611 I would have probably bought one of them , my Brother has one and it is amazing. But you are right this sub might work out to be not much cheeper that the PSA  but should be as good or better depending on the cabinet configuration and amp , l don’t have a amp big enough for this beast do you have a brand model in mind?

cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian 

I have been using SAE TX series amps particularly TX 2400 in bridge mode (2.5kwat-8 ohms) TX series are really quiet amps in regards fan noise  

http://www.saeaudio.com/tx-series/

If fan noise is no issue then the PCM or PQM series are really good amps and can be bridge to 4-8 Ohms 

http://www.saeaudio.com/pcm-series/ 

Best Amps I could find $ vs Power and still very reliable no issues at all yet    

Just checked out the Mach 5 looks good and some great reviews .

There is as good post by a guy called Grizzlyaudio worth looking at l don’t think they will better the HST 18” as a single driver in ported cabinet but 

I am wondering if two of these back to back in a sealed cabinet would work as well as the PSA 3611 . 

Cheers 

Adrian

If only I had the room for a few of these! Room has two 15's and two 10's is all I can accommodate. Cry. Almost once in a lifetime opportunity this, I imagine this fella is really out of pocket on 8 of these at this price.

Been doing a lot of digging around, the Mach5 as good as it is won’t suit my application. All the builds that have been done are using cabinet sizes of 12 cubic feet and about to get down to the 17hz level . Unfortunately the minister of no fun won’t let me have a sub woofers that’s bigger than our dining table. 

I have another option of using 2 x 15”  May be possible to use the Perrless but would have to be in a sealed cabinet as the volume would only be 4 cubic feet for each. 

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Maverick59

9 hours ago, Maverick59 said:

All the builds that have been done are using cabinet sizes of 12 cubic feet and about to get down to the 17hz level . Unfortunately the minister of no fun won’t let me have a sub woofers that’s bigger than our dining table. 

DSP could be a good solution ?

• 2 weeks later...