Opinions relating to Epson EHTW5600 Projectors

Hey all,

Just looking at getting into the projector market again and I was considering grabbing a  Epson EHTW5600 Projector

I would love a DLP projector but unfortunately I suffer from the rainbow effect quite a lot and it wrecks the fun so 3 LCD is the best way to go for me

I have had a number of Epson projectors in the past (as well as JVC, mitsubishi and Benq) including the EHTW5000, 4500 and 3000 models.

I am working off a 150" screen with a distance back roughly 4.8 metres back.

when you say "grabbing" what price are you looking at?

your better off placing a WTB on the classifieds thread for a better epson. recent sales were.. 9300 $1200, 9200 $900, 8200 $600.

all would better the 5600.

Edited by hopefullguy

pity about the rainbows.. can i ask what pj's you saw them with?

as for a budget of $1200. you could watch the epson seconds page as ypu might jag a refurb/box damaged https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

the ehtw6800 is quite bright so that might help with that 150" screen. but it is above your budget.

seriously i feel you should not discount 2nd hand. that does not mean buying any old thing but recently a jvc x35 went around $1200 (is it still for sale? sorry i didnt check) thing is at that size screen you want some quality coming out of the projector. as i am entry level most things if i was looking at entry level then go entry refurb/2nd hand at around $600 and put that extra $600 towards 2 subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for teh delay in my response. I believe it was an Acer 3d projector. I will check which model it as.

Oh I would love 2nd hand as I have always had them in the past but I have OCD (medically diagnosed) and second hand products ensue long term anxiety and buying new definitely helps alleviate some of that stress.

sorry to hear that mate.. i get it. ok then what say go in the middle.. https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

5600 with 12 month warranty refurbed by epson, bought from epson. note: 12 month warranty is a bit of a firfy as you are also cover under aust consumer guaranty which continues after the 12 months.

understand dlp is not on but dont confuse all dlp, benq never had rainbows on my 2 pjs.. but stick with the eppy. better the devil you know haha

Edited by hopefullguy

@MKSOUND_HT do check something with the epson 5600, if i remember correctly a fatal flaw of these things was no horizontal lens shift ? and very limited vertical lens shift of only 15% this is likely to make installation possibilities limiting....also depending on how planing to use... you would HAVE to line up EXACTLY in horizontal plane if there is no horizontal shift.

anyways something to verify. its something epson has done before to save cost. it doesnt matter in say an office environment where plonked on a table and can just slide across...btu not everyone can have this ways in a home. so something to check.

8 series epson do come with shift if i remember infant like 9 series one of THE most flexible mounting projectors but budget wise that might be a problem.

hmm hope this comes across right but those that dont use "entry" pjs expect too much from them. they dont come with horizontal lens shift and from memory never have.

benq w 1.... entry series, epson ehtw 5... entry series. so easy to set up.

mounted on ceiling...

measure from one wall side of the screen to middle of screen and note distance

measure from top of screen to ceiling and note distance

then go to mounting distance and measure same distance from corresponding wall,

then measure same height as top of screen to ceiling

thats where you mount the pj.

Edited by hopefullguy

Thanks very much for the heads up on the specs.

I must admit the ehtw5600 did match in well with the brightness and price range new that I was looking for.

The main concern would be being able to get the height of the projector adjusted to the correct increments.

The adjustable mounts I could find had the following adjustments

- 400mm
- 470mm
- 540mm
- 610mm

I can position the projector on a stand for now if required which will buy me some time to hard wire it (will need to set up a power point for it anyway in the roof).

Edited by MKSOUND_HT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MKSOUND_HT said:

Thanks very much for the heads up on the specs.

I must admit the ehtw5600 did match in well with the brightness and price range new that I was looking for.

its well worth checking these things. the 5 series epson I owned had the below, 

Vertical: 96.3% max. (upward & downwards)
Horizontal: 47.1% max. (Left and Right)

which is more kind of thing to expect I think. not something to skimp on either. as mentioned might be ok in an office especially where likes of keystone is usually used....but really you do not want to  be using keystone for home theatre :D 

epson can be one of THE most flexible in installation too :) so if can get something further up the tree id explore:) 

2 hours ago, MKSOUND_HT said:

The main concern would be being able to get the height of the projector adjusted to the correct increments.

The adjustable mounts I could find had the following adjustments

definitely check out.. with limited lens shift ceiling mounting can be tricky. beams in the ceiling to pick up may not be ideally placed. rooms are not either square or level either in my experience... so mms across from a room with angle of projection can blow out to being  quite a bit out ! 

3 hours ago, MKSOUND_HT said:

I can position the projector on a stand for now if required which will buy me some time to hard wire it (will need to set up a power point for it anyway in the roof).

if can use an equipment stand... ie high enough (considering limited image shift) that can be a good way to go. can move the projector side ways and stand side ways to compensate for lack of horizontal shift :D  small adjustment in height might be able to get with spacers/feet adjustment

Thanks heaps for the info. The main concern is the equipment stand would be a temporary option to make do now. It would make teh EHTW5600 a solution that may work better now than later down the track.

the 5600 has 15% vertical lens shift... mount it the same distance from the ceiling as the top of the screen if mounting from the ceiling, the 15% lens shift will take care of the rest.

the stand option is by trial and error.

3 hours ago, MKSOUND_HT said:

Thanks heaps for the info. The main concern is the equipment stand would be a temporary option to make do now. It would make teh EHTW5600 a solution that may work better now than later down the track.

no worries,

epson does have the distance calculator

https://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW5600_Specs.asp

which hasn't changed much over years and picks up whats allowable. id study carefully. can check things over, make sure suitable as  dont want to get wrong :D seen far too many selling their projectors / screens over the years because things havent worked out ! ?

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2019 at 7:29 PM, betty boop said:

no worries,

epson does have the distance calculator

https://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW5600_Specs.asp

which hasn't changed much over years and picks up whats allowable. id study carefully. can check things over, make sure suitable as  dont want to get wrong :D seen far too many selling their projectors / screens over the years because things havent worked out ! ?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I ended up going for a new EHTW5600 and I must admit I am very impressed with it.

I say that with a grain of salt, because I am sure it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea. Mainly due to the very limited Vertical sync and no horizontal shift. I went in buying it with all the facts so nothing took me by surprise and I would be happy either way.

The only issue I did come up with was, I am using the widest wall of my room for the projector screen to fit in the 150" screen as neatly as possible. The projector is as far back as possible in the room and it JUST fits 150" on the most expanded zoom settings DOH

• Like 1

you would be surprised at how many people with pjs actually do not have 150" screens so i reckon you are lucky? to be able to project that size..how is your sound set up?

as for "grain of salt" there is nothing wrong with buying an entry projector these days. they have come a long way and considering what others would or would not think is wasted movie time haha

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

you would be surprised at how many people with pjs actually do not have 150" screens so i reckon you are lucky? to be able to project that size..how is your sound set up?

as for "grain of salt" there is nothing wrong with buying an entry projector these days. they have come a long way and considering what others would or would not think is wasted movie time haha

Thanks very much for your reply.  I reckon I was very lucky that it JUST fit haha. Technically any epson model similar to this would have the same limitations in focus and adjustments to screen size so someone was looking after me haha. 

Setup wise I went for something a bit different, i've had a variety of different brands such as M&K LCR750, LCR75 and SVS SCS speakers. This time I actually went for a set of Q Acoustics Concept speakers.

I went for
4x Q Acoustics Concept 20 Bookshelf speakers (in white)

1x  Q Acoustics Concept Centre Speaker (in white)

4x Q Acoustics Concept series stands (in white)

I am running an AMC 25100MKII 5 Channel High Current Power Amplifier

Surround Processor is still being decided.

I am just deciding now on a SVS SB1000 or a Ricther Thor 10.6. This was due to colour choices that they were available in white. 

3 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

ah white... yes a bit tricky. i think REL do white. just dont get a Q acoustic sub.. nope

book shelfs with a good sub makes sense and save $$$

It sure can haha. REL look like a very nice range of subwoofers. I'm pretty disapointed Q Acoustic haven't done a subwoofer yet. I think their 3000 series could benefit greatly from having a decent 10 or 12" subwoofer