Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

First Pressings

I think you misunderstood my first post @Uglu 

Nothing to do with money or ease, most first presses are worth seeking out but knowledge is king and in most cases we have many choices so a bit of research rather than an impulse buy will see you with a better collection, be them remastered, Japanese, bespoke or first press.

I do hate putting a $50 album on for the first time and seeing a tiny warp 

43 minutes ago, Powerglide said:

I think you misunderstood my first post @Uglu 

Nothing to do with money or ease, most first presses are worth seeking out but knowledge is king and in most cases we have many choices so a bit of research rather than an impulse buy will see you with a better collection, be them remastered, Japanese, bespoke or first press.

I do hate putting a $50 album on for the first time and seeing a tiny warp 

Sorry, I must have.

On 25/06/2019 at 1:18 PM, candyflip said:

and also because of the mastering...

There is a belief that the original mastering has a higher value, in some cases, for vinyl issues.

As mastering changes from country to country press, and from release to release sometimes within the same title (ie. later versions have different mastering engineers), then 1st vinyl presses have a perhaps perceived value that the 'original' mastering should be the best.

This is provably wrong in so many cases and really should be taken on a case by case basis, for vinyl.

It’s a bit ironic that the better mastered/better sounding records become “collectors items” and therefore probably never actually get played. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

It’s a bit ironic that the better mastered/better sounding records become “collectors items” and therefore probably never actually get played. 

Not in my house.  :)

On 25/06/2019 at 10:13 AM, Alpine Electrocats said:

I have been buying vinyl for about 50 years (and selling off stuff for only about 20 years). Only in the lastfew years did I become aware of first pressings, I discovered at the weekend that on of my promo LPs is a first pressing, so wondering if its going to (help) pay off my visa debt:)

https://www.discogs.com/buy/CD/Georgia-Satellites-Georgia-Satellites/962088666

First pressings relate to the whole provenance issue regarding mastering.

As I understand it, the first issue of an album is generally created from the original master tapes. If sales go well there may be subsequent masterings. There is no guarantee a given purchased copy was mastered from the original master tapes

For vinyl the vinyl lacquer created in the mastering room is only sufficient for a finite number of “mothers” used for creating the pressings.

I gather in vinyl mastering, it has been common practice to make a separate tape recording during the initial mastering stage, which contains the same signal sent to the cutting lathe. In other words, this separate tape recording would capture all the EQ the mastering engineer uses while cutting the lacquer.

The record labels would keep this “EQ’d copy” called “EQ’d limited copy” and use these when subsequent lacquers are required. These could be cut “flat” to reflect the changes already made during the original mastering.

The original mix tapes (no Eq) might be held by the label or sometimes by the artist

Is this important? As one engineer put it, a well made analog tape copy will exhibit a slight increase in background hiss and perhaps a very slight loss of transient speed. However, these things are small in comparison to the changes the mastering engineer is going to make.

The implication for me is therefore I’d rather choose the mastering engineer working from original mix tapes than automatically choose first over a third generation copy or its pressing. That said, there is always interest for me in hearing the original sound and that is worth money IMO.

Is there a thread for new pressings that are of high SQ? Given that buying new can be such a gamble, a thread for users' experiences with new pressings would be handy.. (and we're talking about readily available labels, not AP or MFSL reissues. e.g., stuff at JB-hifi sales).

1 minute ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Is there a thread for new pressings that are of high SQ? Given that buying new can be such a gamble, a thread for users' experiences with new pressings would be handy.. (and we're talking about readily available labels, not AP or MFSL reissues. e.g., stuff at JB-hifi sales).

Try the currently spinning thread. Lots of members post new purchases there with a lot of great knowledge. 

And this one just for vinyl alone :