padre_power

Denafrips Pontus DAC, Hestia Preamp and Hyperion Power Amp

Early impressions only.

Well made and excellent construction quality.

So far the sound quality is excellent, performance way above its price point.

Rich and warm yet with plenty of detail and transparency.

Stav at Dacman Audio has been great to deal with.

We need to get over our anti Chinese biases.

If one of the big Euro or US brands sold these they would be twice or more the cost.

Having come off Vitus CD Player and Integrated amp I am pleasantly surprised how good these are.

Using Cambridge Audio CD transport and Xavian Perla Exclusiva Speakers.

IMG20190619151324.jpg

IMG20190619151347.jpg

3 minutes ago, padre_power said:

Not sure how you came to this conclusion?   There are many people here who own Chinese products.  This poll that I ran had the Chinese coming fifth, behind the Americans, British, Japanese and Australian for stereo gear.  Chinese products are newer and the lack of  brand awareness and limited local distributors restrict their ability to sell more.  However, the Chinese are ahead of the Germans, Canadians, Danish etc.. who have more established brands and products.

The poll did not ask about quality, costs but I suspect that there are Chinese products across the spectrum of quality and costs for those people who own them.

High end products like the Denafrips Terminator which had incredible reviews (including a number of reviewers buying it) highlight how good and how fast the Chinese products are coming along.  Toping is well regarded for their excellent value for money products.  If anything, there are now a whole lot more people looking for Chinese products than say, even five years ago. 

We are biased because it is Chinese Hifi?  Don't think so....

On 24/06/2019 at 11:39 PM, Snoopy8 said:

We are biased because it is Chinese Hifi?  Don't think so....

On 24/06/2019 at 11:02 PM, padre_power said:

I think a 5+ years ago there was a little bit of bias towards Chinese made gear on a few other forums. I never saw it on stereoNet but then I've only been here since 2015. 

My only issue is purchasing something from China and not being able to service anything if there is a fault but then again I purchased my Chinese Made DAC in 2016 and never had an issue.

I have purchased asia made UK design DAC in 2014 and have it die on me twice in 2 years.

Hi thanks for this post.  Actually I am planning to get a used Vitus Integrated in a couple of week from now but after getting my ARES I and II from Stav at DACMAN Audio, I can hear how good some of the Chinese stuffs are.  

I am now considering Kinki EX-M1+ or this combo of Hestia/Hyperion.  :)  Need to audition it from Stav later.

Can only confirm my positive impressions of these Denafrips units.

As a previous owner of a Vitus Integrated I can say that I am not unhappy with my Hestia/Hyperion combo.

There is now a YouTube review of them.

7 minutes ago, padre_power said:

Can only confirm my positive impressions of these Denafrips units.

As a previous owner of a Vitus Integrated I can say that I am not unhappy with my Hestia/Hyperion combo.

There is now a YouTube review of them.

How is the Hestia remote? It looks like a nice piece of work that the youtube review skipped over entirely. When I home demo'd the Denafrips Terminator a while back the only holding me back from getting it was the 3 months ~ backlog between order to delivery.  I really do like Denafrips brute force approach to hifi. This combo is really tempting especially with the option of home demo with the help of Stav at DACMAN audio.

The remote is great. Operates amps and Dac and It even operates my Cambridge transport.

I've no bias against Chinese gear and have found the higher end stuff to be incredible for the money paid. It's resale value where it falls down..... Anti Chinese sentiment is real.

Where all my systems used to use predominantly Chinese components that has changed in recent years with my owning more US made gear, all Australian interconnects and a sprinkling of Taiwanese, Japanese and British components.... There's still the odd bit of Chi-Fi equipment too.

Easily the best recent purchase for me has been Lii Audio speaker drivers (FAST-10S and W-15). Just spectacular performance. They're not cheap though they are a excellent value for the given level of performance.

I simply buy the best sounding equipment I can afford. I don't much care where it's made. Worrying about such things is for suckers with more money than I have.  ;)

Steve Guttenberg raving about the Terminator in his last posting.

Just wondering if the OP (or anyone else for that matter) still has this Denafrips stack and if the impressions have changed for better or worse?

Have recently installed the new DSP board in the DAC.

A wonderful improvement with greater resolution and even more musicality.

Still happy with the whole stack but am kind of tossing up to get the bigger Denafrips power amp just to get a bit more drive.