Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
MrSQ

Is it really worth buying high end speakers costing thousands??

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Good thing about spending a lot on hifi as opposed to cars, though, is at most you might upset the neighbours with your music instead of losing your licence or wrapping yourself around a pole...

... or killing innocent teen girl as was the recent tragic and sad case in Adelaide 😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

Sound quality is definitely subjective but specs aren’t important to me. What the manufacturer measures will be different in my room.gary the music monster 🎶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we a lucky in the sense that we have the best of both worlds, UK, US and European gear available in Australia.   Then we also have the second hand market where you may stumble across something that you were after and you have the opportunity to pick it up for the fraction of the retail price, and hope the drivers are not blown and its in fairly good condition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MrSQ said:

I guess we a lucky in the sense that we have the best of both worlds, UK, US and European gear available in Australia.   Then we also have the second hand market where you may stumble across something that you were after and you have the opportunity to pick it up for the fraction of the retail price, and hope the drivers are not blown and its in fairly good condition. 

And great home-grown product as well, DON'T forget!

 

As for being worth it, that's a call to be made based on your own judgement and budget (and sometimes the WAF).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

$100k speakers  - Meant for:

                               1. Rich people - earns HEAPS of money per capita

                               2. Music Lovers

                               3. Hi-Fi enthusiast

 

$10k speakers - Meant for:

                               1. NOT rich (poor) people - earns LESS money per capita

                               2. Music Lovers

                               3. Hi-Fi enthusiast

 

 

After a DECADE or so.....I 'll be able to buy that $100k speaker second hand in Stereonet's Classified section!

 

2019 now..........hmmmm.....that'll be year 2029......yikes!

 

whatdyasay?.......what?......can't hear ya!

 

Edited by Extremus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Extremus said:

After a DECADE or so.....I 'll be able to buy that $100k speaker second hand in Stereonet's Classified

Good points and you can now pickup gear that is currently 10-20+ year old for 10-30% so no need to wait until 2029.

Edited by Al.M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

That’s the great thing about our hobby lots of  excellent hifi second hand at bargain prices if you look around. Gary the music monster 🎶

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2019 at 6:00 PM, Yamaha_man said:

Trying so hard to hold my tongue.

 

And how is that going for you mate? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thank you for the interesting response all. 9_9.  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwoofer.  I know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!

IMG_20180826_222309.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a nice car and nice speakers, I’m out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MrSQ said:

Thank you for the interesting response all. 9_9.  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwooferI know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!

 

 

Easy! a single JTR 215RT can put out 117dB at 20Hz (more than dual PB13Ultras!)

1641382277_215rt2.jpg.cf44d8bf40cf9c8ee1d2f36b3f388241.jpg

1309269268_215rt3.jpg.5c98206c49ad0aff00da5865b86f30bc.jpg

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html

https://legacy.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=132&mset=144

165318311_ScreenShot07-01-19at02_22AM.PNG.b459f50ca66347dde1ec07b3b3872190.PNG

 

Edited by jamiebosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The JTR are made in USA ,you buy them directly from the manufacturer Jeff I think his name is

Similar business model to Seaton Sound (Mark) where you deal directly with the manufacturer 

Similar speakers but the Seatons are actives ,I believe the JTR are passives

Hope this helps

cheers Muri

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, muriwai said:

The JTR are made in USA ,you buy them directly from the manufacturer Jeff I think his name is

Similar business model to Seaton Sound (Mark) where you deal directly with the manufacturer 

Similar speakers but the Seatons are actives ,I believe the JTR are passives

Hope this helps

cheers Muri

 

 

A quick google:

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago I spent a long time deciding on a speaker upgrade.

 

I tried out speakers from B&W, Focal, Paradigm etc as well as Aussie brands like VAF, Equinox, etc. Floorstanders, bookshelves, mid- to high priced, etc. 

 

Many fine speakers (especially the Aussie stuff) but in the end the one that worked best for me was the SGR CX4F active speaker. Aussie made, beautiful design, and superb sound. Was under 10K from memory and worth every cent (to me).

 

Right now though I am using Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers fed by an Elektra Reference amp. Not as good as the CX4Fs but only 50% of the cost.

 

I'm happy with the sound either way. Depends on whether you want to pay a premium for that little bit extra. 

 

--Geoff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive just started my next journey to finding my next hifi setup.  

 

Recently, auditioned the Magico A3 with the Vitus RI101 amp. this made me think my current setup isnt too far off this A3/101 setup. Surprisingly. 

 

live lined up next set of speakers to audition later this week. hopefully, they give me what im after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...