Is it really worth buying high end speakers costing thousands??

The JTR are made in USA ,you buy them directly from the manufacturer Jeff I think his name is

Similar business model to Seaton Sound (Mark) where you deal directly with the manufacturer 

Similar speakers but the Seatons are actives ,I believe the JTR are passives

Hope this helps

cheers Muri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

The JTR are made in USA ,you buy them directly from the manufacturer Jeff I think his name is

Similar business model to Seaton Sound (Mark) where you deal directly with the manufacturer 

Similar speakers but the Seatons are actives ,I believe the JTR are passives

Hope this helps

cheers Muri

A quick google:

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html

Many years ago I spent a long time deciding on a speaker upgrade.

I tried out speakers from B&W, Focal, Paradigm etc as well as Aussie brands like VAF, Equinox, etc. Floorstanders, bookshelves, mid- to high priced, etc. 

Many fine speakers (especially the Aussie stuff) but in the end the one that worked best for me was the SGR CX4F active speaker. Aussie made, beautiful design, and superb sound. Was under 10K from memory and worth every cent (to me).

Right now though I am using Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers fed by an Elektra Reference amp. Not as good as the CX4Fs but only 50% of the cost.

I'm happy with the sound either way. Depends on whether you want to pay a premium for that little bit extra. 

--Geoff 

ive just started my next journey to finding my next hifi setup.  

Recently, auditioned the Magico A3 with the Vitus RI101 amp. this made me think my current setup isnt too far off this A3/101 setup. Surprisingly. 

live lined up next set of speakers to audition later this week. hopefully, they give me what im after.

On 26/06/2019 at 5:49 PM, Satanica said:

For its 110th anniversary, Bugatti has created a jet black rocket it hails as the most expensive car of all time. It wouldn’t look out of place as Star Wars villain Darth Vader’s preferred mode of transport.

“La Voiture Noire” is priced at 11 million euros ($12.5 million), which would buy about 300 Tesla Model 3s. The one-time vehicle has already been sold and speculation points to former VW Chief Executive Officer and Chairman Ferdinand Piech as the new owner. Piech was known for his tough leadership style before quitting the brand’s parent Volkswagen AG in acrimony in April 2015.

Opening Day Of The 89th Geneva International Motor Show

Bugatti’s La Voiture Noire at the Geneva International Motor Show on March 5.

Photographer: Stefan Wermuth/Bloomberg

While there’s no mention of Piech in Bugatti’s statement, describing the new owner only as an “enthusiast” for the brand, it was Piech who signed off on some of Bugatti’s outrageous development costs. There is -- intended or not -- a hint of Darth Vader providing some inspiration: “The windscreen seems to flow seamlessly into the windows at the sides like the visor on a helmet,” Bugatti said.

Bugatti’s ultra-wealthy customers appreciated the brand’s expertise in turning out cars to their exacting specifications, said Bugatti design director Achim Anscheidt.

“Our customers really appreciate this, as they know this from purchasing other luxury goods like a yacht,” he said.

relates to At $12.5 Million This Bugatti Is the Most Expensive New Car Ever

Source: Bugatti

The 16-cylinder engine has six tailpipes and La Voiture Noire’s extravagant specs highlight the balancing act VW is pulling off across its 12-brand empire. CEO Herbert Diess, in charge since April, has sought to accelerate an overhaul to make the company more agile and rein in spending.

The company says the car is “far more than a modern interpretation” of Jean Bugatti’s Type 57 SC Atlantic, an industry icon coveted by classic-car aficionados and the most famous work of the son of the company’s founder, Ettore Bugatti.

The car’s not-so-subtle six tailpipes are a reference to the Atlantic model’s five exhausts, said Anscheidt. “They clearly show this isn’t an electric car.”

I actually agreed with one of your earlier comments about not discussing cars and getting back to speakers which seamed like a very good idea. 

Just in case you didn’t know SNA has a car section where you can put up glossy pictures of any car you like, even the ones you can’t afford. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/29-cars-motorsport/

• Like 1

Given your extensive car audio experience, perhaps you can explain why there are cars which cost (new) over a $million ... and others cost  
Same issues as with spkrs, I would suggest!

Andy

And why some watches cost $300 and some $30k.

On 01/07/2019 at 5:31 PM, hired goon said:

Many years ago I spent a long time deciding on a speaker upgrade.

I tried out speakers from B&W, Focal, Paradigm etc as well as Aussie brands like VAF, Equinox, etc. Floorstanders, bookshelves, mid- to high priced, etc. 

Many fine speakers (especially the Aussie stuff) but in the end the one that worked best for me was the SGR CX4F active speaker. Aussie made, beautiful design, and superb sound. Was under 10K from memory and worth every cent (to me).

Right now though I am using Orpheus Aurora 3 speakers fed by an Elektra Reference amp. Not as good as the CX4Fs but only 50% of the cost.

I'm happy with the sound either way. Depends on whether you want to pay a premium for that little bit extra. 

--Geoff 

What happened to the SGRs?

57 minutes ago, Super Mustud said:

What happened to the SGRs?

I still have them ... just not being used. I wanted to add a turntable and the only WAF friendly option was to move the system to another side of the room, where the SGR CX4Fs would not fit, so I brought out the smaller Orpheus speakers. Maybe I'll try to squeeze the SGR CX4Fs in there one day, but for now it's good enough.

Which reinforces my point: sometimes "good enough"  is good enough, and speakers costing more than twice the price are not always gunna sound more then twice betterer. It's a question of whether that little bit extra is really worth it you. I know what I'm missing out on without the SGR CX4Fs in the mix, but I think I can live with it and enjoy the current system as it is (for now ...)

--Geoff

• Like 1

Thank you for the interesting response all. [emoji16].  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwoofer.  I know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!
IMG_20180826_222309.thumb.jpg.3d83be2af8a05217b5f1deee1070b88f.jpg
Yikes. Plants on top of speakers. You must be married?[emoji3]
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

I still have them ... just not being used. I wanted to add a turntable and the only WAF friendly option was to move the system to another side of the room, where the SGR CX4Fs would not fit, so I brought out the smaller Orpheus speakers. Maybe I'll try to squeeze the SGR CX4Fs in there one day, but for now it's good enough.

Which reinforces my point: sometimes "good enough"  is good enough, and speakers costing more than twice the price are not always gunna sound more then twice betterer. It's a question of whether that little bit extra is really worth it you. I know what I'm missing out on without the SGR CX4Fs in the mix, but I think I can live with it and enjoy the current system as it is (for now ...)

--Geoff
I'm hearing doubt there Geoff[emoji848]

22 hours ago, hired goon said:

--Geoff

I understand the feeling. I have only recently returned in a big way to my early love of audio. And cannot believe I was so distracted by other life experiences to the extent I was. I am fortunate that we can still fit almost all my gear in our various residences and enjoy them. Pretty soon we will have to start downsizing. That will present challenges. Such is life. Good enough is good enough if one can distil the dream to the essence.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 9:50 PM, MrSQ said:

Thank you for the interesting response all. 9_9.  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwoofer.  I know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!

IMG_20180826_222309.jpg

Are those 909s?

Edited by furtherpale

17 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Yikes. Plants on top of speakers. You must be married?emoji3.png

Indeed, I have moved them since pic taken.  I am after some decent feet on them.

34 minutes ago, MrSQ said:

Yes, they are, old Dali 909's.

I used to sell them (and your Jensen sub) back when JB actually sold some actual hifi... I even owned a set of 909s for about a year!

They would love an amp with more grunt (Yamaha, Rotel).

Edited by furtherpale

Are those 909s?
Good for you Mr SQ. Keep the dream alive.

I am back into HiFi after 20 years.
When l left the family home and shared a house with some one else. My gear was in storage for that duration. The last 18mths have seen me get back into it, when l moved house.

My fire has well and truly been rekindled.
Can't see where those years have gone.
But deffinetly making up for it now.
$12000 Good reasons.

As people have frequently stated:

Buy the best gear you can afford. Be happy. And just listen to music.

By the way your kit really looks good. Some great gear there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Running some lovely box speakers, Aurum Cantus F620 in my main system and Oatlon W2-1000F in the second.  The Oatlon are improved upon copies of the Klipsch KG5.5, just spectacular though the crossovers have been redone.

That said,  this year I hope to assemble some DIY Open Baffles using a high efficiency bullet tweeter and some vintage alnico cloth cone drivers from old consoles from the 50's and early 60's, namely 10" Zenith 49CZ and 15" Magnavox.

The old consoles had open backs and as such were basically open baffles anyway. Keen to see what the fuss is about.

• Like 1