Is it really worth buying high end speakers costing thousands??

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

To me, S, it's exactly the same concept - be it spkrs ... or cars.  What do I get for the extra $980K?

Andy

Of course.

There are so many examples outside of audio. Does anybody need a $15 K suit or a $10K bottle of wine?

3 minutes ago, Satanica said:

BTW smile ***** cat there's no need to be sad. ?

Have no idea what '***** cat' references, S - but I always find it sad when I have to get into arguments with, say, anti-vaxxers and creationists.  (We're down the same rabbit hole here, IMO.)

Andy

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Have no idea what '***** cat' references, S - but I always find it sad when I have to get into arguments with, say, anti-vaxxers and creationists.  (We're down the same rabbit hole here, IMO.)

Andy

I'll let you post about the 20K Camry.

McLaren Senna

McLaren Senna, from $965,000

A tribute to the legendary Brazilian Formula One racer Ayrton Senna, this car is street-legal but was designed for the track.

• Units: 500
• Made in: Woking, U.K.
• Acceleration 0-62 mph: 2.8 seconds
• Cylinders: 8
• Top speed: 208 mph

Porsche 918 Spyder

Porsche 918 Spyder, $1 million

The plug-in hybrid model features an electric motor on each axle. 

• Units: 918
• Made in: Stuttgart, Germany
• Acceleration 0-62 mph: 2.6 seconds
• Top speed: 214 mph

Source: Porsche

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satanica said:

McLaren Senna

A tribute to the legendary Brazilian Formula One racer Ayrton Senna, this car is street-legal but was designed for the track.

I have zero doubt it is 100% awesome and I like the fact that it is actually produced................however, why buy something that would e a huge pain in the arse in traffic and one could only enjoy it once a week on a racetrack?

I love cars and driving, but one gets to a point where the million buck price tag becomes an odyssey in self delusion.

Just like $500K speakers or $50 K speaker cables.

if I had that much spare cash I would be sponsoring a couple of hundred Australian kids so they get through school and have a chance in life.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, rantan said:

I have zero doubt it is 100% awesome and I like the fact that it is actually produced................however, why buy something that would e a huge pain in the arse in traffic and one could only enjoy it once a week on a racetrack?

I love cars and driving, but one gets to a point where the million buck price tag becomes an odyssey in self delusion.

Just like $500K speakers or $50 K speaker cables.

if I had that much spare cash I would be sponsoring a couple of hundred Australian kids so they get through school and have a chance in life.

For its 110th anniversary, Bugatti has created a jet black rocket it hails as the most expensive car of all time. It wouldn’t look out of place as Star Wars villain Darth Vader’s preferred mode of transport.

“La Voiture Noire” is priced at 11 million euros ($12.5 million), which would buy about 300 Tesla Model 3s. The one-time vehicle has already been sold and speculation points to former VW Chief Executive Officer and Chairman Ferdinand Piech as the new owner. Piech was known for his tough leadership style before quitting the brand’s parent Volkswagen AG in acrimony in April 2015.

Opening Day Of The 89th Geneva International Motor Show

Bugatti’s La Voiture Noire at the Geneva International Motor Show on March 5.

Photographer: Stefan Wermuth/Bloomberg

While there’s no mention of Piech in Bugatti’s statement, describing the new owner only as an “enthusiast” for the brand, it was Piech who signed off on some of Bugatti’s outrageous development costs. There is -- intended or not -- a hint of Darth Vader providing some inspiration: “The windscreen seems to flow seamlessly into the windows at the sides like the visor on a helmet,” Bugatti said.

Bugatti’s ultra-wealthy customers appreciated the brand’s expertise in turning out cars to their exacting specifications, said Bugatti design director Achim Anscheidt.

“Our customers really appreciate this, as they know this from purchasing other luxury goods like a yacht,” he said.

relates to At $12.5 Million This Bugatti Is the Most Expensive New Car Ever

Source: Bugatti

The 16-cylinder engine has six tailpipes and La Voiture Noire’s extravagant specs highlight the balancing act VW is pulling off across its 12-brand empire. CEO Herbert Diess, in charge since April, has sought to accelerate an overhaul to make the company more agile and rein in spending.

The company says the car is “far more than a modern interpretation” of Jean Bugatti’s Type 57 SC Atlantic, an industry icon coveted by classic-car aficionados and the most famous work of the son of the company’s founder, Ettore Bugatti.

The car’s not-so-subtle six tailpipes are a reference to the Atlantic model’s five exhausts, said Anscheidt. “They clearly show this isn’t an electric car.”

Edited by Satanica

I drive a Hyundai i30 -  mclaren, porsche whatever are a matter of supreme indifference to me. I probably wouldn’t recognise one if it ran into me and scratched my sensibly priced paintwork.

D7F3F1B2-AD19-4FE7-9155-D7940CDF104C.jpeg.24988b8806a77d0d22bcc85505a2b985.jpeg

On the other hand I’d quite like to hear what a large bucket of money would do for a hi fi system ( not that I’d spend it myself).

You picks yer poison.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2

Guest Music monster

I bought my first car at age 38 as I couldn’t part with money that I could spend on hifi instead. Still have it and won’t be buying another one.Gary the music monster ?

On 24/06/2019 at 4:09 PM, MrSQ said:

Oh, we all forgot to mention tax and exchange rates that add to the cost as well.

I remember back 30- 40 years ago many speakers were assembled in Australia.  Aaron, Welling,  Studio craft, Richer Audio, VAF Research and many others.  Whilst the drivers were purchase overseas to save costs the cabinets were made/ assembled in Australia.  Whatmough is a famous Australian Brand but you have to search hard to find a pair.  I don't know what drivers they used but the cabinets were made in Australia.  I suppose now we are left to purchase gear from overseas that can costs a lot.  I don't now about you guys but with an average family with a million dollar debt, its hard to dedicate $50K just for your home theatre needs which we all like to do.:(

Hi there Rob,

Krix speaker cabinets and crossovers are entirely made in Adelaide, not far from my home. Every design is a bespoke product of local engineers, some of whom have high standing in the industry. In the $1500-$3000 range you can get a pair of excellent speakers from them. They also have a separate home theatre range.

Regarding the wide range of prices, it is the same for any consumer product: some people set themselves a very high budget, so, without a moment's hesitation, the industry is going to offer products that will absorb that budget. You won't see the equation "price = material cost + labour cost + overheads + fair margin + taxes", being viable at the higher price ranges.

Regards,

Grant

I've tried to use the finest components in my own speakers and the parts alone cost me 15k. Factor in r&d costs, manufacturing, labour, shipping, marketing, etc etc it's easy to see it costing 50k to make them profitable. There is also nothing exotic in mine (no diamond, aluminium CNC etc.) so personally I can easily see how you can make a pair of speakers cost 100k plus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

McLaren Senna

Porsche 918 Spyder

Porsche 918 Spyder, $1 million

The plug-in hybrid model features an electric motor on each axle. 

• Units: 918
• Made in: Stuttgart, Germany
• Acceleration 0-62 mph: 2.6 seconds
• Top speed: 214 mph

Source: Porsche

Super pics, S!  :thumb:  I also like the look of the BMW electric sports car - is it the 'i8'?  The whole top of the body tilts forwards, to allow you to get into the seats.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

Good thing about spending a lot on hifi as opposed to cars, though, is at most you might upset the neighbours with your music instead of losing your licence or wrapping yourself around a pole...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Music monster said:

I agree specs are meaningless to me. It’s the sound quality that matters .gary the music monster ?

SQ is subjective,  what ticks the boxes for you may not be the same for someone else... your ears may not go up to 20khz like a 13yr old!  

Also power handling outlined and sensitivity defines what capacity amplifier to use. 

42 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Good thing about spending a lot on hifi as opposed to cars, though, is at most you might upset the neighbours with your music instead of losing your licence or wrapping yourself around a pole...

... or killing innocent teen girl as was the recent tragic and sad case in Adelaide ? 

Guest Music monster

Sound quality is definitely subjective but specs aren’t important to me. What the manufacturer measures will be different in my room.gary the music monster ?

I guess we a lucky in the sense that we have the best of both worlds, UK, US and European gear available in Australia.   Then we also have the second hand market where you may stumble across something that you were after and you have the opportunity to pick it up for the fraction of the retail price, and hope the drivers are not blown and its in fairly good condition. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrSQ said:

I guess we a lucky in the sense that we have the best of both worlds, UK, US and European gear available in Australia.   Then we also have the second hand market where you may stumble across something that you were after and you have the opportunity to pick it up for the fraction of the retail price, and hope the drivers are not blown and its in fairly good condition. 

And great home-grown product as well, DON'T forget!

As for being worth it, that's a call to be made based on your own judgement and budget (and sometimes the WAF).

$100k speakers  - Meant for:

1. Rich people - earns HEAPS of money per capita

2. Music Lovers

3. Hi-Fi enthusiast

$10k speakers - Meant for:

1. NOT rich (poor) people - earns LESS money per capita

2. Music Lovers

3. Hi-Fi enthusiast

After a DECADE or so.....I 'll be able to buy that $100k speaker second hand in Stereonet's Classified section!

2019 now..........hmmmm.....that'll be year 2029......yikes!

whatdyasay?.......what?......can't hear ya!

Edited by Extremus
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Extremus said:

After a DECADE or so.....I 'll be able to buy that $100k speaker second hand in Stereonet's Classified

Good points and you can now pickup gear that is currently 10-20+ year old for 10-30% so no need to wait until 2029.

Edited by Al.M

Guest Music monster

That’s the great thing about our hobby lots of  excellent hifi second hand at bargain prices if you look around. Gary the music monster ?

Thank you for the interesting response all. 9_9.  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwoofer.  I know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!

IMG_20180826_222309.jpg

5 hours ago, MrSQ said:

Thank you for the interesting response all. 9_9.  Some very good points were raised here and its only a matter of time, you may see something you may have you eye on going for less then the RRP price.  IMHO, I think the best sounding speaker would be the one that plays all of the music spectrum without the need for a subwooferI know its kind of, hard to imagine but that's my end goal. On a mean time, I will keep delving in my audio gear!

Easy! a single JTR 215RT can put out 117dB at 20Hz (more than dual PB13Ultras!)

1641382277_215rt2.jpg.cf44d8bf40cf9c8ee1d2f36b3f388241.jpg

1309269268_215rt3.jpg.5c98206c49ad0aff00da5865b86f30bc.jpg

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html

https://legacy.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=132&mset=144

165318311_ScreenShot07-01-19at02_22AM.PNG.b459f50ca66347dde1ec07b3b3872190.PNG

Edited by jamiebosco