Blue ORTOFON MC Cadenza Moving Coil Cartridge

20 hours ago, andyr said:

Where did you get this idea from, U?

Benz recommended >470 ohms for my (first edition) Benz LP - however, I found it sounded best @ 3,300 ohms.

The recommendation for the current LPS is >400 ohms.

Likewise the Gold Note Donatello has a recommendation for 470 ohms.

Andy

I've got it from the printed manuals of several MC cartridges I have owned, like Denon, Ortofon, Audio Technica.

A bit of reading of reputable magazines will come up with a similar indication for lots of cartridges which I haven't owned.

It is also the default setting on a large number of phono stages.

I hope that answers your question of where I've got the "idea" from.

Thank you!

Edited by Uglu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uglu said:

I've got it from the printed manuals of several MC cartridges I have owned, like Denon, Ortofon, Audio Technica.

A bit of reading of reputable magazines will come up with a similar indication for lots of cartridges which I haven't owned.

It is also the default setting on a large number of phono stages.

I hope that answers your question of where I've got the "idea" from.

Thank you!

Yes it does, U (answer my question of where you got that idea from).  But what you're doing (because you don't know any better) is regurgitating this "false noos".  :no:

And I suggest that whilst a large number of phono stages (including the Hagerman 'Euphoria' that I own) offer 100 ohms as a loading option ... very few make it the default (I presume you mean, here, the only?) loading option.

Andy

Yes it does, U (answer my question of where you got that idea from).  But what you're doing (because you don't know any better) is regurgitating this "false noos".  :no:

And I suggest that whilst a large number of phono stages (including the Hagerman 'Euphoria' that I own) offer 100 ohms as a loading option ... very few make it the default (I presume you mean, here, the only?) loading option.

Andy

Comes in late, tells people that they don’t know any better.
And who are you?

25 minutes ago, barn door said:

Comes in late, tells people that they don’t know any better.
And who are you?

Haha - someone who is:

• I suspect a lot older than you
  • and therefore wiser
  • and btw - given you only have 391 posts as against my 11,336 - has been here (on SNA) a great deal longer than you, bd.  :lol:

Andy

Haha - someone who is:
  • I suspect a lot older than you
  • and therefore wiser
  • and btw - given you only have 391 posts as against my 11,336 - has been here (on SNA) a great deal longer than you, bd.  :lol:
Andy

Nice one Andy, you just confirmed my hunch [emoji106]
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, barn door said:

Nice one Andy, you just confirmed my hunch emoji106.png

Fascinated to learn what your hunch was, bd.  :)

And btw, I won't complain to the mods if you post something I don't like. (I'm a big boy!  :lol: )

Andy

Edited by andyr

Well thanks everyone for your input and insights. Beside this, I'm enjoying the new cart. I'd still be keen to go down the loaded plugs at some stage, after I've run the cart for a while. 

Happy to keep it civil. If not, let's consider this tread closed. 

Cheers. 

Really good and really enjoying it. Glad I pulled the trigger and jumped over to this.

At first, found it very glassy and a little sharp which has now gone as I figure I've got about 30 hours on it over the last week. Sounding really good now. Just played a J. J. Johnson album and I can say it's by far the best playback I've heard.

The cart itself sounds musical as many forums have suggested. Great detail, warm, clear and lively. The image sounds correct and as it should be, consistent with a live performance as the last cart was pulling the mids and uppers too forward for me. Not the case on the blue. Lowers as much more taut and dynamic and I've gone from my Spendor SP1, back to my Spendor S8 which I didn't like before, but now sounds so much better and lacks the cabinet resonance that was present before.

Really good separation between the musicians giving plenty of space and breath between. I'm loving the fact that the attention to detail from this cart is allowing me to hear very minor nuances from musicians such as the odd bow vibration in a double bass with bowt through to the echo of a room where the studio recording was done.

I'm still going to loan a phone stage Rega Aria and have a listen to this once I've got about 100 hours up. And I'll still be loading plugs to hear the differences. 

Currently running the cart at 100Ohms. Cart recommends 50-200Ohms. 

A big thumbs up from me and would easily recommend. I'll come back after 100 hours and post my findings.

• Like 1

I was wondering too, good to hear you like it. I believe that Plinius is still in the clasifieds and it is $1000+ below retail. The other one you can consider is the Cyrus Phono Signature which is only a few hundreds over the Aria and can later be upgraded with the PSX-R2 power supply, in my opinion both are superior without spending a fortune over the Aria but otherwise the Aria is a nice stage anyway.

My AT has loosen up a bit more too, I haven't made any decision, the ART9 is still on the "may be" cards but I don't want to rush for the moment as I am enjoying this AT even if I get something better later or rettip the kontrapunkt, one of the cadenzas could be another contender.

• 4 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 10:11 PM, Yardbird said:

Really good and really enjoying it. Glad I pulled the trigger and jumped over to this.

At first, found it very glassy and a little sharp which has now gone as I figure I've got about 30 hours on it over the last week. Sounding really good now. Just played a J. J. Johnson album and I can say it's by far the best playback I've heard.

The cart itself sounds musical as many forums have suggested. Great detail, warm, clear and lively. The image sounds correct and as it should be, consistent with a live performance as the last cart was pulling the mids and uppers too forward for me. Not the case on the blue. Lowers as much more taut and dynamic and I've gone from my Spendor SP1, back to my Spendor S8 which I didn't like before, but now sounds so much better and lacks the cabinet resonance that was present before.

Really good separation between the musicians giving plenty of space and breath between. I'm loving the fact that the attention to detail from this cart is allowing me to hear very minor nuances from musicians such as the odd bow vibration in a double bass with bowt through to the echo of a room where the studio recording was done.

I'm still going to loan a phone stage Rega Aria and have a listen to this once I've got about 100 hours up. And I'll still be loading plugs to hear the differences. 

Currently running the cart at 100Ohms. Cart recommends 50-200Ohms. 

A big thumbs up from me and would easily recommend. I'll come back after 100 hours and post my findings

I am very interested to hear how this is going.  Currently have an Ania on RP8.  I find it a bit bright at times, and basically just suffering from upgraditis. 

Considering a Rega Apheta or a Cadenza Blue/Bronze, given the current price offer. 

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this:

Pulled the pin and bought a Cadenza Bronze at that fabulous discount being offered last month.  Big shout-out to Chris at Spin Doctor in Hornsby who fixed it to the Rega arm and adjusted the height. 

I remember feeling a bit Emperor's New Clothes with the Ania cart when I first listened to it.  It loosened up, and I upgraded the phono stage to end up with a Rega Ios (found on these pages).  The sound got pretty good.

This is another level.  Only about 3 hours in.  Glorious, warm, resolved, natural, fabulous separation.  It is another level. 

I might have hit the end point for a while, but you never know