Phone extension cable

HI

I am considering relocating my modem to a more central location rather than it sitting way up one end of the house. The aim would be to distribute wi fi better to both ends of the house. To achieve this I would need a 20 meter phone cable. My question.

Will using such a long cable reduce the modem's capabilities with speed? I am presuming wi fi will be better if the modem is central to all who use it. Also is the quality of the cable important for this situation? It is nbn connection using phone line to the street.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Hazzzy

I have tried a netgear range extender which was pretty much useless. I think the cheapo modem is not the best wi fi and was willing to try the phone extension cable if it will work.

6 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

To achieve this I would need a 20 meter phone cable. My question.Will using such a long cable reduce the modem's capabilities with speed?

It would be a lot longer from your house to the NBN connection point, so 20 meters extra inside the house will make no difference to speed. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, groovem said:

It would be a lot longer from your house to the NBN connection point

Yes I suppose that would be the case. A cheap $10 cable will be on it's way next week. I think the central location I have in mind for the modem will keep everyone happier here rather than just one end of the house. I wonder if cable quality is of importance?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2019 at 5:41 PM, groovem said:

It would be a lot longer from your house to the NBN connection point, so 20 meters extra inside the house will make no difference to speed. 

Happy to report the whole house get's adequate wi fi after the modem relocation, even my chromecast ultra which was suffering most.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Happy to report the whole house get's adequate wi fi after the modem relocation, even my chromecast ultra which was suffering most.

This is a different result to my former situation. Admittedly I was/am on ADSL2 not NBN.

I moved my router to a better location by extending the phone cable by apprx 10m.  I found that I was getting dropouts.

After much troubleshooting I found by shortening the phone cable back to original length (ie short) and lengthening the ethernet cable from modem to new position (+10m), stopped the dropouts instantly.

10 hours ago, Jeddie said:

This is a different result to my former situation. Admittedly I was/am on ADSL2 not NBN.

I moved my router to a better location by extending the phone cable by apprx 10m.  I found that I was getting dropouts.

After much troubleshooting I found by shortening the phone cable back to original length (ie short) and lengthening the ethernet cable from modem to new position (+10m), stopped the dropouts instantly.

in your situation you could have run an ethernet cable from the modem/router and bridged it to a new just wireless router without a modem but that would require a bigger cost than just a cable. 

this approach keeps the the phone cable unchanged which is great especially if lengthening causes drop outs or speed reduction, ethernet is rated upto ~100 meters so its a great alternative. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear it worked well for you. I struggle with WiFi at my place so I moved my access point to a better position.

A bit belated, but poor quality joins in phone lines cause problems for modems. Most ADSL devices give an indication of connection quality (db, sync speed, errors) which can help finding problems.

11 hours ago, Jeddie said:

Admittedly I was/am on ADSL2 not NBN

The 20 meter phone line was the cheapest I could find and has fixed all my issues with the new location for the modem. Mabey the phone line is not as critical with NBN but I am just guessing.

Also no loss of speed at all.

Edited by Hazzzy

• 6 months later...

We had this problem with our ADSL router/modem, which was quite old (we were getting security warnings about it); there were dropouts around the home.  Updated with a new router/modem, and coverage was much better around the home.  Am with the NBN now, so new modem/router.