Sign in to follow this  
Muon N'

Using Slide Hammer on a rear wheel arch?

OK, yeah.........looking at body repair stuff again :rolleyes:.............bloody trucks!

40 odd years of driving life and 3 crashes none my fault, and all inside the last 5 years :huh:  :lol:

So, got clipped well just behind the drivers door on my 2003 Mirage hatch when a truck in the right lane change to my lane while I was along side of him in it, pushed the arch in pretty far, 4 or 5 inches maybe, with the panel area back to the door also. Now I'm not sure what I might get from the other guys insurance mob, but the repair/replace quote from a smash repairer is uneconomical to repair.

Bingle.jpg.532e65c5acbb2dcb6ed629c13f71f725.jpg

As it only has 112k on the ODO, and still drives the same I want to hold onto it so I have no time without a car, and am not replacing it with the same thing that has a much older more tiered motor in it.

So wondering what others experience is using these Slide Hammers is, I once worked in the paint shop side in these places as mostly a labourer doing all the prep work for a number of years a lot of years ago, but while the beaters were always using these things I never took a hell of a lot of notice...wishing I did now.

Can anyone share their experience please :)

Posted (edited)

What I was thinking is to get a hammer with the weightiest slide I can as long as it has the hook and screw attachments I need..........I don't have faith in suction or glue types.

Ideally a winch to a solid immovable object would be preferable for the arch, but I don't really have that option here.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

If you take the interior trim off you might be able to push the dents out from the inside 

@Fenda

I'll have a look :)

At this stage I haven't looked at it on the interior of the car, just outside and in the wheel arch. I guess I just figure that as it will be getting filler anyway that I'd just screw pull it, the arch will be the difficult part.

Just thought someone might have some tips or tricks on the hammers use, maybe a view on the screw vs glue side of things

On 21/06/2019 at 7:54 AM, Black Orange said:

be careful with a hammer .. can be addictive 

Geez, that show always gets a laugh from me, so funny xD

Posted (edited)

Geez, I though our resident panel beaters would have chimed in, I recall there were a few here.

Edit: I have to stop using 'geez'

Edited by Muon N'

@Muon N', not a panel beater at all so don't take anything I say as gospel.

The glue systems I've seen look like the better choice rather than the old screw in type slide hammers as you don't need to drill and then fill holes in your panel.

The system that looks good to me is where you take the panel to bare metal then glue pins on different spots of the panel and work systematically to pull the dent out.

You may also have to use a torch to apply heat and also hammer different sections of the dent depending on where the metal has stretched or has has creases but I guess that's where expert knowledge comes into it.

There are also systems that weld the pins onto the panel but I imagine they'd be more expensive than just getting the dent repaired by a panel shop.

There should be plenty of videos on YouTube on using them (avoiding the umm home remedy solution videos.... 😬).

Hay, Marty, I have been looking at vids on YT of various systems, some look cool but cost also come into things.

I'll have another look at glue type ones and mull over the pros and cons of each system.

14 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Hay, Marty, I have been looking at vids on YT of various systems, some look cool but cost also come into things.

I'll have another look at glue type ones and mull over the pros and cons of each system.

Unfortunately a decent PDR system that will do the job properly will more than likely cost a bit, you may be able to sell it secondhand afterwards to recoup some of the cost.

Be aware a lot of the kits available seem to be designed for hail damage and small dents.

Best of luck with it, I know you haven't had a lot of luck with cars in recent times.

This is a good video that shows what's required for a dent like yours.

Posted (edited)

Already discounted that sort of thing, there is also this cool system that is perfect for arch pulls, but need  hydraulics or a winch attached to something for that system. Just hooks the arch over a wide area for the pull.

Yeah, rotten luck, but not as bad off as so many in this life.

Edited by Muon N'
Use of 'yeah' too much

I hope you got the cash off the guy who hit you!

Anyway, I've got the glue pull systems......................in fact, all three or four of them and they are great for a paintless dent removal...............but in your case you need to push it out from the inside first.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I hope you got the cash off the guy who hit you!

Anyway, I've got the glue pull systems......................in fact, all three or four of them and they are great for a paintless dent removal...............but in your case you need to push it out from the inside first.

Been communicating with the owner, It is a commercial truck, he's been good, but am yet to hear from his insurance company, might contact them myself early in the week to see if I can find out what they plan to do.

The cost of repair/replace is about $2500 so they will write it off I suspect as if the cost of repair is more than 70% or value they write of, or so I understand., and likely there may be a buy back option, as I can't really do without transport for even a short time so I will be looking for that option.

This repair stuff is just a plan in the works at this point as I need to see what they do, if I get a buy back offer this is the plan to tidy her up a bit while I save a little and look for a replacement car.

Thanks for the feedback on the glue type pullers, the real sweat will be while I'm pulling out the arch with a hook end :)

I got stiffed on the last crash, but that was me getting sucked in by a sob story, apathy can bite ya' on the bum sometimes *sigh*

Edited by Muon N'

@Muon N', if the repair cost and replacement cost are the same sometimes you can push to have the car repaired rather than replaced.

Also in this situation being a commercial truck depending on the size of the truck his excess could be up to $5,000 so it may be cheaper (as well as not having a claim against him) to just pay the $2,500 to have it repaired.

17 hours ago, Martykt said:

@Muon N', if the repair cost and replacement cost are the same sometimes you can push to have the car repaired rather than replaced.

Also in this situation being a commercial truck depending on the size of the truck his excess could be up to $5,000 so it may be cheaper (as well as not having a claim against him) to just pay the $2,500 to have it repaired.

I suppose that leaves the ball in his court, he also needs the truck repaired, apparently the damage was not little to it also.

I really want to avoid being without transport for a time, as I have a foot that doesn't like walking too much.....strange for a foot, I know xD

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

I suppose that leaves the ball in his court, he also needs the truck repaired, apparently the damage was not little to it also.

I really want to avoid being without transport for a time, as I have a foot that doesn't like walking too much.....strange for a foot, I know xD

Trucks can be expensive to be repaired..... sooooo..... 😬

Sorry I definitely can't give you any podiatry advice..... :lol: