blakey72

Trend towards smaller speakers?

25 minutes ago, rantan said:

If we are discussing the trend to smaller speakers as a reason to save space in smaller premises, how do this fit with having one, two or three subs in the room also?

Honest question and no offence intended.

No offence taken @rantan  and it goes to that exact point, because someone responded earlier in the thread that with a sub(s) the need for floorstanders is no longer a given and that a sub-sat system can be superior.

From what I read, headphones and soundbars far outstrip sales of speakers by billions of dollars and at a guess the standmount speaker that gets smaller and smaller is a reaction to that market demand. It's certainly a strange business when one takes a brief minute to think of what we are all doing here ain't it?

Easier than pigeon racing though😀

20 hours ago, betty boop said:

master bedroom anything there comes under significant scrutiny waf wise !

:$

Anything?

:whistle:

:angel:

21 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Easier than pigeon racing though😀

There's something I have to try 😎

Not sure why anyone wanting the best sound for their space would pander to speaker/size trends?

My 2c(less tax) get the best you can afford that works in your space..

just comes back to many ways of skinning a rabbit.

For me , I’m just a big speaker guy.

if I could have I would have gone even bigger.

Interesting thread , I find bookshelves or stand-mounts quiet lively and easy to place, I'm happy with my systems BUT once you start comparing and going down that track I'd swing towards full size speakers, me I just love my music and appreciate what I have and my Bookshelves defiantly deliver  

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

speaking for those of us who are budget strangled and so buy what many would call entry or even lower HT gear buying some bookshelf's for fronts will never provide bass, at any level, that makes movie watching enjoyable.

now i realise most are not talking such basics as pionner, klipsch, jamo that many get from gumtree  or H/N but thats where a lot of people get their gear from.

it all comes down to your level i guess. i have tried no sub in my entry HT room and sorry no, i also owned the same aaron ats-5 and agree about the sound from them.

Yeah but where is that point? How budget is budget? I'd prefer 1k bookshelves over 1k floorstanders. I would even take Q acoustics concept 20s over many offerings from JB HiFi and they're only $600

There is a reason that front doors are the size they are. It is to get the treble driver of your sound system into the house. For the bass drivers you remove the roof.

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah but where is that point? How budget is budget? I'd prefer 1k bookshelves over 1k floorstanders. I would even take Q acoustics concept 20s over many offerings from JB HiFi and they're only $600

There's a pair of those C20 with QA stands in the Classifieds for under $600. Staggering value, I'd go the nearly nearfield set up with a seat that has height adjustment.

Just get the LS50's and shut up!

Guest Music monster

Small speakers will never match the sound quality of big full range speakers.sure they can sound good but music always sounds like it’s being squeezed out of a small box which is exactly what’s happening.gary the music monster 🎶

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Small speakers will never match the sound quality of big full range speakers.sure they can sound good but music always sounds like it’s being squeezed out of a small box which is exactly what’s happening.gary the music monster 🎶

Have you listened to the Devialet Phantom Gold, Kii Three or Dutch & Dutch 8C ?   

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Guest Music monster

No I haven’t.i owned harbeth 40.2 and they even had a small sound compared to what I am used to.gary the music monster 🎶

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have you listened to the Devialet Phantom Gold, Kii Three or Dutch & Dutch 8C ?   

I've always been of a view that a small room needs a big speaker - not for bass but for controlled off axis performance - but the Kii and 8C more or less solve this problem (with the added benefit of in-built active subs). Not sure about the Phantom Gold.

On 21/06/2019 at 9:54 PM, Super Mustud said:

There is a reason that front doors are the size they are. It is to get the treble driver of your sound system into the house. For the bass drivers you remove the roof.

...or use the French doors. That's their purpose;  not only for large furniture and hundreds of mosquitoes.

8 hours ago, Music monster said:

Intuitively, perhaps. I have heard a pair of Dynaudio standmounts (maybe they were bookshelf speakers, on stands) at a the house of an SNA member, and they sounded pretty darn good in a nearfield listening position. I, however, have a larger room to fill with sound. A task which is better suited to my Maggies.

WAF??!!! 

There was a show on TV where the man was always concerned about WAF and did what he was told.

His name used to be Bruce Jenner. 

Wonder how he is these days? 🤔

9 hours ago, Music monster said:

No I haven’t.i owned harbeth 40.2 and they even had a small sound compared to what I am used to.gary the music monster 🎶

You clearly go by the motto "the bigger, the better".  I have heard setups where the speakers have overwhelmed the room.  I prefer speakers to disappear in the room when playing music and believe that there is an appropriate size for a setup.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

I've always been of a view that a small room needs a big speaker - not for bass but for controlled off axis performance - but the Kii and 8C more or less solve this problem (with the added benefit of in-built active subs). Not sure about the Phantom Gold.

Off axis performance of the Phantom Gold is very good...