Sign in to follow this  
_tedd

Nak RX-505 repairer?

I picked one of these up a few months back, untested/super cheap, but I can't for the life of me get it to work (I mostly just take the top off and look at it - much like I do when my car won't start). It lights up but that's about it. I spoke to a local repair agent but he said he wouldn't even look at a Nak as they are too complicated. Is that the consensus everywhere or is there a Nak-guru in Australia? 

Cheers! 

Seeing no one has answered I'll chime in.

For what it's worth I have a Nak (forget the model but not up to the 505 standard) just sitting here in the same condition.

Mine lights up and makes whirring noises as well.

I pulled it apart and had a look but it looks too hard to replace the belts (even though I bought some on eBay) so I gave up.

my RXn202 is still working like a charm but a future repairer would be good to know

I just saw this thread. If it helps, I work on Nakamichi decks using original jigs and tooling. Based in Brisbane.

On 19/07/2019 at 7:04 PM, studer30 said:

I just saw this thread. If it helps, I work on Nakamichi decks using original jigs and tooling. Based in Brisbane.

It would have helped if I checked back in time haha. I ended up trading it for a working CR-2 plus cash. I'll keep you in mind if I have any trouble with that! Thanks!

Guest Karl Rand
Posted (edited)
On 20/06/2019 at 8:48 PM, _tedd said:

I picked one of these up a few months back, untested/super cheap, but I can't for the life of me get it to work (I mostly just take the top off and look at it - much like I do when my car won't start). It lights up but that's about it. I spoke to a local repair agent but he said he wouldn't even look at a Nak as they are too complicated. Is that the consensus everywhere or is there a Nak-guru in Australia? 

Cheers! 

Contact Tony McKay at Tivoli Hi-Fi.

(03) 9813 3533

1800 848 654

info@tivolihifi.com.au

If he can’t repair it maybe nobody in Oz can. Parts could also be a real problem just at they are for Nakamichi ‘Dragon’ cassette desks. 

Ah, just noticed I’m too late. 

Edited by Karl Rand

I might have mentioned this before but I have been working on Naks for about 18 years. Equipped with factory gauges and test tapes. I haven’t put it out there till now but have been working through word of mouth till now. 

Guest Karl Rand
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, studer30 said:

I might have mentioned this before but I have been working on Naks for about 18 years. Equipped with factory gauges and test tapes. I haven’t put it out there till now but have been working through word of mouth till now. 

Well you may be able to answer a burning question. If a transport mechanism could somehow be found for a Nakamichi ‘Dragon’ what would I expect to pay? 

It may be the case that the entire transport mechanism doesn’t require replacement. Listening I can’t hear any speed variation but placing an ear close to the deck you can hear what sounds like a worn bearing noise even without a cassette in place - a kind of tick, tick, tick. 

Edited by Karl Rand

The tick tick tick is because the azimuth assembly might be near the end of travel. When was it last gone over by a competent tech?

Guest Karl Rand
6 minutes ago, studer30 said:

The tick tick tick is because the azimuth assembly might be near the end of travel. When was it last gone over by a competent tech?

I’m familiar with the azimuth mechanism searching for correct alignment; this noise is something different . The ticks are spaced regularly apart at approx a second. Last time a competent tech looked at it was Tony McKay at Tivoli Hi-Fi. His comment was “Good luck finding a new transport mechanism” At this point in time it may be a more sane option to hunt down another deck. I still have a large number of Metal/Chrome cassettes I’d like to record onto another medium most of which are private recordings of US blues & jazz bands never commercialy released. 

If that’s not the case, then the spool assemblies or pressure roller would have to be looked. They operate round about that one second frequency. Nice, that’s a good way although given the dramas I’ve had with NOS media, I’ve just gone with R2R. 

Guest Karl Rand
24 minutes ago, studer30 said:

If that’s not the case, then the spool assemblies or pressure roller would have to be looked. They operate round about that one second frequency. Nice, that’s a good way although given the dramas I’ve had with NOS media, I’ve just gone with R2R. 

Sorry, I don’t understand what’s meant by "given the dramas I’ve had with NOS media, I’ve just gone with R2R."

On 15/08/2019 at 2:20 PM, studer30 said:

Where are you located mate?

1 hour ago, Brett Armstrong said:

Where are you located mate?

Brisbane