Xindak Muse 2.0 CD player

Hi all, I have a Xindak Muse 2.0 which has a tube output stage. I have had it for a couple of years now and enjoy the sound and have done a little tube rolling with it. I don't play cd's often so it hasn't done a lot of work since I have owned it. The problem is that the other day I played a cd and it played fine right through and then put in another one and it played fine for a while and then the sound became distorted and was also louder in volume. It then played normal and same thing happened again. Then it basically became constant distortion. Thinking it may have been the cd I put in the one that I had previously played and the same thing happened thus eliminating  a dodgy cd. I have since run a lens cleaning disc through it and tested. The cd played ok for about 4 tracks and then problem started again. Any ideas??? Could the lens be stuffed? If so is this something that can be replaced? TIA 

Have you tried changing the tubes? They can sometimes fail notwithstanding minimal use. For example I've had an exceptionally bad run with ElectroHarmonix 6922s failing at low hours.

• Like 1

I just put a new tube in it not long ago. Could be I guess. It's very strange as I am sitting here right now playing a disc on it and it's fine apart from a quick distortion at the very start. So it would seem that the laset may be ok as you would think it would work or it wouldn't.  So may be a dodgy tube. I'll run this disc through and try another one. Process of elimination at this point. I've got other tubes there so that will be the next step. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sceeta said:

Well its definitely not a failed tube. Tried four different ones that I know are good. Changed out IC's as well, no difference.

Presume it's not occurring with sources other than the Xindak - worth confirming if you haven't already tried. Also, try another input on your amp if possible.

I've never heard of distortion from a faulty lens or laser, so I'd be thinking it's time for a service if you've tried the options above.

On 21/06/2019 at 4:58 PM, Quark said:

Presume it's not occurring with sources other than the Xindak - worth confirming if you haven't already tried. Also, try another input on your amp if possible.

I've never heard of distortion from a faulty lens or laser, so I'd be thinking it's time for a service if you've tried the options above.

Thanks for the advice. I swapped my turntable into the cd input and it was all good. Ran the cd from the turntable input and same drama. So it's definitely the cd player that's faulty. Any recommendations of someone in Melbourne (peferably South East) who is handy with cd players?

50 minutes ago, Sceeta said:

Thanks for the advice. I swapped my turntable into the cd input and it was all good. Ran the cd from the turntable input and same drama. So it's definitely the cd player that's faulty. Any recommendations of someone in Melbourne (peferably South East) who is handy with cd players?

Xindak's website says that Final Link is the local distributor (I'm not sure that's still the case) so I'd try there first for a recommendation. Otherwise, JLS Electronics service a wide range of gear and have been fine when I've used them.

• Like 1