Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

Non-portable MiniDisk recorder in OpShop 3109

Sony MiniDisk recorder - not a portable, designed for your hifi system.

With manual and about 60 sealed new minidisks, in a minidisk draw! 

Looked in good condition, didn't see a remote (don't know if it had one, you can check the manual in the store).

This is a standard (original) minidisk system, NOT for the HiMD disks.

A bargain - $45 including the disks (less than what the minidisks would sell for). 

In the Salvos on Doncaster Road, just down the road from Dan Murphy's (you can use their car park).

It's in the back (raised) section of the store, on a shelf on the wall on the left as you walk in, opposite the book section.

I would hope a collector (not a flipper) gets this. 

I could have flipped it myself, but preferred it to go to a good home without profiteering.

Edited by audiofeline

And if you buy it, I'd be interested to see a post with your evaluation of what it's like.

This is just down the road from me.

I had a Sony mini disk portable and got rid of it in 2000 - so no interest personally.

If someone really wants this, give me a shout and I'll buy it for you and forward on.

Too late.....

It's mine! :lol:

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Too late.....

It's mine! :lol:

Congratulations, I'm pleased it found a good home.  I was tempted to go back and get it myself, but really didn't have a use for it.

Please let us know how you like it.

24 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Congratulations, I'm pleased it found a good home.  I was tempted to go back and get it myself, but really didn't have a use for it.

Please let us know how you like it.

Roger that and thanks again for the heads up. One use ive thought of is to make my own mix tapes/MD's  of the 100's of 12" singles I own via its analog inputs. Damn thing came with 45 sealed 74 min blanks so need to do something with them...Ahh man just like the old days huh!

BTW for full disclosure I was a DCC (competing MD format) boy so never actually owned any MD player but hey better late than never.

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

...BTW for full disclosure I was a DCC (competing MD format) boy so never actually owned any MD player but hey better late than never.

The MD was quite something in it's day, as a digital improvement on the cassette.  However, the CD division in Sony fought the hardware division due to concerns it would enable digital copies of CDs, and effectively killed it by limiting it to analogue copying, etc.  There were some 3rd-party programs written that would enable digital copying from the portable players (the NetMD versions?).

Despite the good technology, the original lossy recording algorithms had limitations which prevented audiophile adoption.  By the time the HiMD format was developed (that offered lossless recording, longer recording/playback, and finally digital copying) CD burners and ipods had killed the MD format.  It had a lot of potential but Sony fought itself and paid the price. 

I've got a portable HiMD recorder, and was attracted to the better lossy formats for live recording and lossless recording with a line-in.  Although quite good, I've not been happy with the lossless quality and believe that the modern digital recorders (eg. TEAC/ZOOM/etc) are much better. 

Despite all of that, many people still love the format and still use it.  There is an active forum dedicated to the format (don't have the link on me as I type).

Nice pickup! I got a little excited until I saw someone got it. haha I've still got a Sony MZR30 portable and a fair few discs, mostly recorded off the radio at the time but also transferred some CD's and MP3's via optical. Inspired me to get it out and have a listen.

Tempting indeed. I should go back and have a listen to some of the mix-tape Minidiscs I made in the 90s from LP tracks for parties! Be interesting to see how the LP12/Basik plus/OC9 holds up over time.

What model was/is it? I still have my Sony JB930 in use as a DAC sometimes.

I'd like to find something like this in HiMD.

7 hours ago, t_mike said:

I'd like to find something like this in HiMD.

I don't think Sony made a HiMD deck, however I think Onkyo might have.