Why I hate GTGs.

I went to Simon’s (simonon) GTG on the weekend.

It was lovely to catch up with other members, to sit around and listen to music, and chat, and enjoy the snacks. The drinks were fine, the weather was very pleasant and sitting out the back was relaxing.

So, what’s the problem? –GTGs are expensive!

Not only is there new music to buy and artists to explore but occasionally I run across new gear that “I just have to have.”

There was a new jazz group to audition, and some blues artists to seek out—all fine, but worse was to come.

See, Simon has a new turntable, so I brought along an old Return to Forever album—Romantic Warrior. Before he put it on, he ran it through his ultrasonic cleaner. And this is where it starts to get horrible. Not only were some (but not all) of the clicks and pops gone but the ones left were somehow less intrusive, and there was a clarity and detail to the sound that I didn’t get at home.

OK, no real issue--it’s his system and venue.

“Take a cleaner home,” he said, being very co-operative. I said I’d consider it after I listened to Romantic Warrior at my place.

On my system it had the same differences I’d noticed at Simon’s, so a couple of days later he lent me a complete cleaning system and made sure I knew how to use it.

I discovered that my records were already pretty clean of dust and dirt. Yes, after cleaning many clicks and pops disappeared, but some were still evident. I guess they might be “non-removable” although I’ll give them another clean or two just to check. 

Unfortunately the improvement in clarity was on every LP. D*mn.

I listened twice to a very old original pressing of Miles Davis’ Sketches of Spain, and after the cleaning some “moulding noise” that has been there forever turned into the breath intakes of the flute players.

I remember when drummers placed leather jackets or blankets in the back of kick drums to give the sound more “thwack”. The slap of these drums was also more emphatic on many tracks.

Grace Slicks voice on Red Octopus was…better, if that’s possible--thrilling.

I told you, I hate GTGs—they can be expensive!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

I think it is 'Simon' brand.

There has been extensive research and prototyping to create the current version.

Probably up to Simon v 3.5 (I made that bit up, but there has been significant improvement in the cleaners he develops).

I haven't heard any bad reviews, only positive.  Like Greg's.

Benje

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awayward said:

Was!

Does the mean Greg is not giving it back, sounds like it ?<span>

Yes. Or no--it's not going back. It's been adopted.

@Kelosis--It is Simon's own construction, after (he tells me) considerable research, testing and changes to implementation.

10 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Yes. Or no--it's not going back. It's been adopted.

@Kelosis--It is Simon's own construction, after (he tells me) considerable research, testing and changes to implementation.

Thanks mate. Congratulations on the new ownership.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Simonon

Happy to lend out a machine to Adelaide SNAers or clean a few records. Yes it is my own design based on a lot of research and prototyping over a number of years. Very clean records is the number one way to enjoy your vinyl with that expensive cartridge  also lasting longer if it is not being used as a plough. Thank you Greg for your kind words, I am glad you are enjoying your vinyl collection with the ultrasonic cleaning and vacuum drying method uncovering new detail. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the get together and look forward to more in the future. 

• 3 months later...
On 09/07/2019 at 7:26 PM, Guest Simonon said:

Happy to lend out a machine to Adelaide SNAers or clean a few records. Yes it is my own design based on a lot of research and prototyping over a number of years. Very clean records is the number one way to enjoy your vinyl with that expensive cartridge  also lasting longer if it is not being used as a plough. Thank you Greg for your kind words, I am glad you are enjoying your vinyl collection with the ultrasonic cleaning and vacuum drying method uncovering new detail. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the get together and look forward to more in the future. 

Simon any chance you can pm  me on the details of your machines and prices, options and availability please , many thanks Adam