Best Closed Back Headphone (ZMF Does someone have)

The Utopias definitely have the edge over Clear when it comes to premium materials and they feel more solid to me.  Despite being a little heavier I find them more comfortable as well.  Sound-wise the Clear is no slouch and offers great performance for the price, IMO, but I since I got Utopias my Clears are relegated to office duty :) 

Another thing to remember when choosing headphones is to check that they aren't annoyingly microphonic.

Originally  I used the Audio Technica W1000 headphones with Bubinga wood cups, that benefitted with a thin layer of Butyl inside the cups to further reduce resonances.

Recently, one of the transducers went open circuit and I replaced them with  ATH-M70x which have a fairly similar extended HF response.

However, due to the mainly plastic and metal construction used these days to reduce costs, even gently rubbing a finger over the top band , such as scratching your head, and elsewhere, results in a LOUD roar.

ATH M70x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather buy an Eikon blind with the import fee and shipping rather than getting a Stellia at MSRP. It might actually be quite a safe choice since there have only been positive reviews and high demand in the used market.

3 hours ago, Rheme said:

I would rather buy an Eikon blind with the import fee and shipping rather than getting a Stellia at MSRP. It might actually be quite a safe choice since there have only been positive reviews and high demand in the used market.

Agreed . But Eikon or Atticus is another argument ! So not sure what to purchase

I would think Eikon is the safer bet.

Atticus is more coloured, and probably less accessible as a whole.

If I were buying blind I'd probably go Eikon, and get some of the various pad options at the same time, find something that works best there.

On 02/07/2019 at 7:18 PM, peppy said:

Liked it a lot until I put on TH900mk2...waiting to test ZMF before I spend $1500 on a headphone 

Don’t wanna highjack this thread but I have a pair of Z1R and TH900mk2 and I much prefer the sound of the Sony - so much so that I can easily be convinced to let my Fostex go. Let me know if you settle on the Fostex - mine are mint and come with everything. Just haven’t advertised yet. 

Got the Aeon Flow Closed today.

They are so similar to in tonal balance and detailed clarity to FOCAL Clear. But Focal Clear is still much better. I have so realised that I am not into bassy headphones as much as calm, detailed headphones like these. The person who sold me these was complaining about poor low end bass, and so does my brother and best mate.....but i think i have to come to like this sort of sound signature so much more ...extremely well pronounced mids with extreme tonal balance and clarity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

What were you thinking of selling them for?

I really did like the Sony. Its a good package overall if you can get them for a good price. Not perfect, but do a lot right.

Yeah the Sonys are keepers for me, though I was dumb or unlucky enough to pay launch price for them. I really do enjoy them though and they’re pretty different to other higher end stuff I’ve listened to. 

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in the Fostex, otherwise I might chuck an ad up on the weekend if you'd rather wait. I’m not completely sold on letting them go yet but I don’t really have a use for them right now and I’ve got my eyes on a pair of Cascades. 

Nice choice. Last week I ended up buying a pair of Campfire Cascade which admittedly, are far too overpowering in the bass region BUT with a balanced cable and nicely matched headphone amp, they really tone down and become an absolute pleasure to listen to. I actually chose them over Focal Clear which were twice the price.

I listened to the Sony Z1R and was really impressed with them at first. However when feeding them anything less than a great recording, I found they sounded hollow and got a bit hot in the treble region with average recordings. Bit of a shame as they are a fun sounding headphone. They, like the AEON's had really good bass extension as well.

Edited by Craig_H

1 hour ago, Craig_H said:

I actually chose them over Focal Clear which were twice the price.

Seriously ... ?

I have tried almost all high end headphones (at the stores of course, can't purchase) but i have not heard ONE, that could match the quality and sound of Focal Clears. Clears are the ones that will accompany me to the grave as well.

I haven't experienced better sonics, and especially the vocals , like you are in the room listening live. !!!

Guest Music monster
9 minutes ago, peppy said:

Seriously ... ?

I have tried almost all high end headphones (at the stores of course, can't purchase) but i have not heard ONE, that could match the quality and sound of Focal Clears. Clears are the ones that will accompany me to the grave as well.

I haven't experienced better sonics, and especially the vocals , like you are in the room listening live. !!!

Peppy have you herd these? Buy meze.They are said to outperform even the focal utopia reference headphones, but they are a open design.just being released.gary the music monster ?

905550F9-9111-4A7C-97E7-3382C322474E.jpeg

Edited by Music monster

1 hour ago, Craig_H said:

Nice choice. Last week I ended up buying a pair of Campfire Cascade which admittedly, are far too overpowering in the bass region BUT with a balanced cable and nicely matched headphone amp, they really tone down and become an absolute pleasure to listen to. I actually chose them over Focal Clear which were twice the price.

I listened to the Sony Z1R and was really impressed with them at first. However when feeding them anything less than a great recording, I found they sounded hollow and got a bit hot in the treble region with average recordings. Bit of a shame as they are a fun sounding headphone. They, like the AEON's had really good bass extension as well.

Z1Rs with hot treble? Definitely not my experience. I’ve had mine for 2 years and almost exclusively listen to Tidal either through an AudioGD R2R-11 or Sony ZX300. I am extremely treble sensitive but I could listen to these all day. Super smooth and laid back to me. 

5 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Peppy have you herd these? Buy meze.They are said to outperform even the focal utopia reference headphones, but they are a open design.just being released.gary the music monster ?

905550F9-9111-4A7C-97E7-3382C322474E.jpeg

Gary ...mate, as much as I like your opinions but you make me feel the unluckiest around...Can never win just that one Lotto that will allow me to spend $6000 on headphones... I can't think beyond spending $1000 barely and here you are with your suggestions, starting $4000 onwards....that are too expensive to dream , let alone purchase them ;)

Edited by peppy

Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, peppy said:

Gary ...mate, as much as I like your opinions but you make me feel the unluckiest around...Just that one Lotto that I can spend $6000 on headphones... I can't think beyond spending $1000 barely and here you are with your suggestions, that are too expensive to dream , let alone purchase them ;)

Not suggesting to purchase them,just have a listen to them.$6000 may be expensive but when they compare with the best speakers costing hundreds of thousands, they are a bargain. I am thinking of getting a pair myself. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

I actually went back to my akg K340,as I have hardly anytime to use headphones.they still sound very good considering there 40 years old.Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

1 hour ago, peppy said:

Seriously ... ?

Dead serious. I listen to electronic bass-driven music and for me/my music the Cascades did bass much better (only when using a balanced connection however) and were a much more "fun" sounding headphone. I purchased the LCD-2 for when I want a more balanced sound.

1 hour ago, ducksonetime said:

Z1Rs with hot treble? Definitely not my experience. I’ve had mine for 2 years and almost exclusively listen to Tidal either through an AudioGD R2R-11 or Sony ZX300. I am extremely treble sensitive but I could listen to these all day. Super smooth and laid back to me. 

The beauty (or curse) of people with different ears and different music tastes! Also as I've found in the past few weeks that some headphones just don't get along well with some amplifiers. I think the main reason they didn't work for my ears is that the Sony have a very v-tuned flavour about them. eg. an emphasis on the low end, and an emphasis on the top end. The way a lot of electronic bass-driven music (Drum & Bass, Garage, Dubstep, etc) is produced is with an emphasis on the bass and the treble. Couple this music with a headphone of the same tuning and it just doesn't work. To be fair, I did mention that it only exhibited the issue with average production/recordings (as a lot of underground music is).

6 minutes ago, Craig_H said:

Dead serious. I listen to electronic bass-driven music and for me/my music the Cascades did bass much better (only when using a balanced connection however) and were a much more "fun" sounding headphone. I purchased the LCD-2 for when I want a more balanced sound.

The beauty (or curse) of people with different ears and different music tastes! Also as I've found in the past few weeks that some headphones just don't get along well with some amplifiers. I think the main reason they didn't work for my ears is that the Sony have a very v-tuned flavour about them. eg. an emphasis on the low end, and an emphasis on the top end. The way a lot of electronic bass-driven music (Drum & Bass, Garage, Dubstep, etc) is produced is with an emphasis on the bass and the treble. Couple this music with a headphone of the same tuning and it just doesn't work. To be fair, I did mention that it only exhibited the issue with average production/recordings (as a lot of underground music is).

Definitely, different ears and different perception. Source and amplification is important too, which is why I mentioned mine. 

But no, I personally wouldn’t describe them as V shaped, not like I would my TH900. I would say they are bass heavy and upper-mid forward and the treble, whilst detailed, is rolled off somewhat. 

Just my 2c

I am currently looking for a pair of Cascades, thinking of trading the Fostex for a pair even. Everyone seems to be out of stock though... and I mean everyone. 

Edited by ducksonetime

49 minutes ago, ducksonetime said:

Definitely, different ears and different perception. Source and amplification is important too, which is why I mentioned mine. 

But no, I personally wouldn’t describe them as V shaped, not like I would my TH900. I would say they are bass heavy and upper-mid forward and the treble, whilst detailed, is rolled off somewhat. 

Just my 2c

I am currently looking for a pair of Cascades, thinking of trading the Fostex for a pair even. Everyone seems to be out of stock though... and I mean everyone. 

Yeh I listened to the TH900 as well and didn't like them at all. They sounded lifeless to me. I was lucky enough to have A2A sell me their store demo (Cascade) pair as they were on quite a back-order with no ETA.

Edited by Craig_H

2 minutes ago, Craig_H said:

Yeh I listened to the TH900 as well and didn't like them at all. They sounded lifeless to me. I was lucky enough to have A2A sell me their store demo (Cascade) pair as they were on quite a back-order with no ETA.

How much did you pay if you don’t mind? My local A2A offered me their demo pair too but I wasn’t happy with the price. Cheers

7 minutes ago, ducksonetime said:

How much did you pay if you don’t mind? My local A2A offered me their demo pair too but I wasn’t happy with the price. Cheers

$1000. Only $99 off but with all the packaging and the case. There wasn't a single scratch or mark on them and no harm in buying something already run in.