Best Closed Back Headphone (ZMF Does someone have)

Guest Music monster

I should mention they are the most comfortable headphones available without a doubt and the build quality is superb. Gary the music monster ?

Just now, Music monster said:

I should mention they are the most comfortable headphones available without a doubt and the build quality is superb. Gary the music monster ?<span>

Dude $4500 !!!

:(

Guest Music monster

Yes expensive but look at the prices in the us or uk. they are very well priced here in Australia. Gary the music monster ?

Yeah it's so easy to keep looking for something new, different or better but sometimes you just need to be content.
I've basically stopped with the HD650 because it is exactly what I want for my music.
I'm tempted to find some headphones for gaming but even the Portapros hit the spot for me, if you can't tell I'm on a budget haha

Not how it works! Legit no one on these forums buys a peice of audio gear and goes "ah yeah, that is all I'll ever need" and then follows through.

Its hard to justify $4000 on a set of headphones. Anything kind of over $3k starts getting more along the lines of what sound you prefer, rather than upgrades. And focal recently had huge savings on some models, makes you wonder if they will do the same on the Stellia once its been out for a while.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farpun said:

Yeah it's so easy to keep looking for something new, different or better but sometimes you just need to be content.
I've basically stopped with the HD650 because it is exactly what I want for my music.
I'm tempted to find some headphones for gaming but even the Portapros hit the spot for me, if you can't tell I'm on a budget haha

Sane-est comment - it still doesn’t deter me from scratching the itch & wasting my hard earned money—there are plenty of fools like me :(

who will help us ?!?!

Oh trust me I have blown plenty of money on changing my mind, my tastes, my wants etc haha I'm definitely not shy from blowing money on things.
I'm also into gaming so I have less money to spend on audio.
What it made me realise though is that I'll never be satisfied if I keep chasing and will forever be chasing an itch if I don't realise that I don't need the 'best' or every game or record and that things come and go and don't last forever.
Sorry I'm on a rant now, don't let that deter finding what brings you joy though, I'm just lucky the HD650 is cheap now compared to when it first released and that it suits my tastes

Sane-est comment - it still doesn’t deter me from scratching the itch & wasting my hard earned money—there are plenty of fools like me [emoji20]
who will help us ?!?!

14 hours ago, Music monster said:

Herd all phones your talking about and your wasting your time in my opinion.yes peppy I am. They are actually a good buy when you consider there surberb sound and will fix you for a lifetime.gary the music monster ?

I didn't have the Utopia, just the Elear, but one thing that really impressed me mightily was the Elear's lack of reflections in the earcups. I remember reading about the Elear and Utopia before buying mine, that they were designed to be "more open" than most other open-back headphones. So if the Utopia shares that property with the Elear, it might just live up to the high price tag.

1 hour ago, Farpun said:

Yeha, the HD650 is a solid choice. Around $300 for a HD6xx its a steal.

But then something like the Nighthawks, to my ears, are better in every way, easily, and still cheap. The step in clarity alone is worth it, but the extra bass slam is a bonus.

If you get a chance try them, I like my HD6xx and the Nighthawks shares a similar sound, but to me just improves each aspect.

Only downside is a weird light fit, but tend to get over it.

• Like 1

Guest Music monster

They focals are more open and sound less like you are wearing headphones. There The worlds first headphone that actually uses a speaker driver instead of a headphone driver.the utopia has being rated around the world as the best headphones in the world.i don believe everything reviewers say but after hearing them and buying a pair I totally agree.gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

The focal has a pure beryllium m shaped dome. They offer striking realism,neutrality,dynamics and clarity that is unrivalled in my experience. Gary the music monster ?

Just read a review and it was like "If you can't afford the Utopia, try the Stellia as its closed version is $1000 less than the Utopia"

Ahhhh buddy, not in Australia. Its more in Australia. More.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Just read a review and it was like "If you can't afford the Utopia, try the Stellia as its closed version is $1000 less than the Utopia"

Ahhhh buddy, not in Australia. Its more in Australia. More.

Is there a specific reason it must be closed back? Some nice open back options out there..

50 minutes ago, Ewok209 said:

Is there a specific reason it must be closed back? Some nice open back options out there..

In the bedroom -- with my 2 year old sleeping calmly and 34 year old witch who's anger can move the very platform slab of my house, I have to go with Closed back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Go to jb hifi they have plenty of closed Back headphones lol ? gary the music monster ?

In the running for least helpful post ever. Maybe stay in the open back focussed threads gaz :P

Some truly great closed headphones out there. And unless you have a quiet listening environment, closed back gives an experience open cant !

Oh **** was it? I just went and bought some closed back JBL cans on your advice :(

Garrryyyyyy.

Under $3k I'd really consider a Stellia/Utopia. I find it hard to get over the point of diminishing returns concept.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Which speaker did they pull it from?

Sony Z1R uses a huge driver too.

I don't know that they got the Utopia driver from any other company, nor that it's a speaker driver (because speaker drivers that small don't have huge bass excursions like air-suspension woofers have). But these Focals do have amazing sound, for the reason of the driver designs, plus the earcup designs that eliminate most of the smear from earcup reflections.

Edited by dalethorn

4 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Oh **** was it? I just went and bought some closed back JBL cans on your advice :(

Garrryyyyyy.

Under $3k I'd really consider a Stellia/Utopia. I find it hard to get over the point of diminishing returns concept.

The Focal Clear (the white/chrome whatever version, not the red "pro" version) was rated best by Innerfidelity.

Guest Music monster

Yes I believe focal headphones are expensive but still offer excellent value for money.they were gonna price the utopia at a much higher price but wanted to keep them affordable.When you look at them and check out the stunning sound and build quality there’s  no reason why they wouldn’t sell at double there price. Gary the music monster ?

I doubt they would even sell 50% as many at 200% the price though.

People interested in Head Fi can seem to just rationalise $4k and stretch to that level one day. Even then most Utopia owners have probably bought them used for $2-3k. There is a very small percentage of people buying headphones that can easily afford the $4-5k. You may be one of them, but for the 99%, $4k is a stretch.

I've said this to some people before, I think past the $3k AUD mark, you're really starting to split hairs in terms of sound quality, and its becoming more what each person prefers/different signatures etc.

Is the Utopia build quality much different to the Clears?

• Like 1

Guest Music monster

Yes agree past the 3 grand mark it’s what signature of sound you prefer more, but the utopia truly have no weakness in any department of there sound that’s what sets them apart for me. The sound is all there and they sound so right that you just cart fault them. Don’t know much about the clears but by looking at them I don’t think they use carbon fibre frame and look somewhat cheaper made.Never herd them but they should be excellent cans for the money. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster