Best Closed Back Headphone (ZMF Does someone have)

I am looking at a good closed back headphone.

Tried 

- Aeons closed back

- Audeze LCD 

- MDR Z1R

- Fostex TH 900mk2

Liked TH900 MK2 the most, clarity & Bass.

Want to try ZMF Atticus & Eikons

Is anyone selling or anyone kind enough in Sydney to allow me to try ?

(obviously none of the stores carry it)

suggestions for me to try any other Headphones before I spend money on TH900 mk2 ?

thanks 

Not many people have ZMF sets.

Since you're in Sydney, easy to go test a few!

Also may as well try;

Focal Elegia

Focal Stellia

Senn HD820S

Campfire Audio Cascade

LCD2 Closed

LCD XC

Beyer T5P

Ether C Flow

If TH900 was your favourite, guessing you're a bit of a bass guy. So a few of those sets def wont suit.

2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Not many people have ZMF sets.

Since you're in Sydney, easy to go test a few!

Also may as well try;

Focal Elegia

Focal Stellia

Senn HD820S

Campfire Audio Cascade

LCD2 Closed

LCD XC

Beyer T5P

Ether C Flow

If TH900 was your favourite, guessing you're a bit of a bass guy. So a few of those sets def wont suit.

Thanks for replying @Bengineer

i have the Elegia but could not see any store that carries ZMF so not sure where to test.

will try a few of the others you suggested. (Stellia is out of budget, I am trying to keep it under $2000)

No-one in Australia stocks the ZMF. You either buy second hand (rarely come up) or import mate.

If TH900 is in your taste then you're a bit of a bass head. So a lot of those models will leave you a bit disappointing in the bass. Ether, XC, 820 etc won't be bass monsters.

For around $1000, bassheads love the Campfire Cascades. Apparently trash for gaming, positional audio isn't good on them, so if just for music then all good.

Did you spend much time with the Z1R ?

Someone did compare all the high end closed cans (with full scores on like everything), take with grain of salt but might point you toward the right can.

Did you like any of the others? Or certain qualities?

I'm still trying to find the perfect closed set! I want to try the ZMF too (order a pair for me and I'll help you test them) and the Ether CX (massdrop version).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

No-one in Australia stocks the ZMF. You either buy second hand (rarely come up) or import mate.

If TH900 is in your taste then you're a bit of a bass head. So a lot of those models will leave you a bit disappointing in the bass. Ether, XC, 820 etc won't be bass monsters.

For around $1000, bassheads love the Campfire Cascades. Apparently trash for gaming, positional audio isn't good on them, so if just for music then all good.

Did you spend much time with the Z1R ?

Someone did compare all the high end closed cans (with full scores on like everything), take with grain of salt but might point you toward the right can.

Did you like any of the others? Or certain qualities?

I'm still trying to find the perfect closed set! I want to try the ZMF too (order a pair for me and I'll help you test them) and the Ether CX (massdrop version).

Given that I love & own Elegia certainly tells me that I am no basshead :)

i did compare Z1R with TH900 and TH900 was a clear winner to me, though Z1R was bass-ier (that’s why I did not like it)

This is where I found a good comparison (says ZMF the best)

http://earphiles.org/2017/04/totl-closed-headphone-shoot-out/

But learnt from previous experience, not to go only by Reviews as Headphones & sound likeness are too subjective.

though I like the list you shared, will definitely try these.

i am after a different sound signature than what I have (Elegia, Clear, SRH1540)

Tried

Aeon Closed, Z1R, TH900, Audeze, Campfire Cascades

TH900 was a clear winner to me amongst all these.

But really wanted to try ZMF given the price of TH900 is same as ZMF

(and will try the ones you pointed out)

Yeah. Well if you find some ZMF I'd also love to hear them! Atticus or Eikon, I'm easy bro. Or even an Ori.

Ether CX looks interesting to me. If the low end can kick enough I think they would be a winner. The Aeon is certainly a good can. Audioquest also do a closed can you may as well add to the list. The Nightowl. The Nighthawk is a decent can for cheap, might suit you.

I had the TH610 a while ago, that was enjoyable enough. Bit bloaty, can imagine the TH900 is pretty decent.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Music monster

The new closed back focal headphones would have to be at the top of my list for best closed Back  headphones.gary the music monster ?

2 hours ago, Music monster said:

The new closed back focal headphones would have to be at the top of my list for best closed Back  headphones.gary the music monster ?

They are bloody good but very very light on low-end/bass though. I am no bass head, but even Clears (which are by no means bass heavy , rather on the lighter side, have better low end than Elegia). Love my Clears the most !

Edited by peppy

Guest Music monster

Haven’t herd them yet but going by my focal utopia headphones you are right,but plenty enough bass for me.gary the music monster ?

1 minute ago, Music monster said:

enough bass for me

That's the key. Subjectivity.

Very Very good headphones. Truly the only ones that i thought were worthy replacement to my SRH1540.

Guest Music monster

Agree stunning sound quality and very comfortable. I upgraded from the grado ps 2000 to the utopia.the grados were excellent but the utopia are a step up .gary the music monster ?

Just now, Music monster said:

Agree stunning sound quality and very comfortable. I upgraded from the grado ps 2000 to the utopia.the grados were excellent but the utopia are a step up .gary the music monster ?

I wish I can muster the courage to spend to purchase Utopia some day ! Heard very good things about it

1 hour ago, pyometronguts said:

utopia's - they are amazing, my endgame headphones now after 5 years of upgrading

I only had the Elear, but when I looked into the earcup and driver and blew gently into it, seeing the excursion of that driver blew me away (pun intended).

Guest Music monster

How did  you find the grado ps 2000 compared to your focal utopias.I had them and fort the focal were better sounding and more comfortable as well.gary the music monster

Guest Music monster

Pyometronguts did you compare the grado ps 2000 to your utopias.would like to know your forts .gary the music monster ?

41 minutes ago, Yetiman said:

I Love my MDR-Z1r headphones you didn't..?

Liked it a lot until I put on TH900mk2...waiting to test ZMF before I spend $1500 on a headphone 

Edited by peppy

Guest Music monster

Peppy focal utopia has a new reference closed Back headphone that sets new standards. Buy once buy right and be done.cheers gary the music ?

I demo'd TH900 MK2 last week with my own music and a Burson Soloist amp, they were extremely detailed and really wow'd me but as mentioned the bass is a bit too much for me to make a purchase. Very good bass but a little over emphasised for all music genres.

38 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Peppy focal utopia has a new reference closed Back headphone that sets new standards. Buy once buy right and be done.cheers gary the music ?<span>

Are you referring to Stellia ($4000) ? Dont have the courage to spend $4000 on a headphone :(

15 minutes ago, Ewok209 said:

I demo'd TH900 MK2 last week with my own music and a Burson Soloist amp, they were extremely detailed and really wow'd me but as mentioned the bass is a bit too much for me to make a purchase. Very good bass but a little over emphasised for all music genres.

Yes they were hence, even I wasn't convinced.

That is the reason i want to test ZMF (started this thread) and wanted suggestions from the community here.

Guest Music monster

Herd all phones your talking about and your wasting your time in my opinion.yes peppy I am. They are actually a good buy when you consider there surberb sound and will fix you for a lifetime.gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

2 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Herd all phones your talking about and your wasting your time in my opinion.yes peppy I am. They are actually a good buy when you consider there surberb sound and will fix you for a lifetime.gary the music monster ?

Not how it works! Legit no one on these forums buys a peice of audio gear and goes "ah yeah, that is all I'll ever need" and then follows through.

Its hard to justify $4000 on a set of headphones. Anything kind of over $3k starts getting more along the lines of what sound you prefer, rather than upgrades. And focal recently had huge savings on some models, makes you wonder if they will do the same on the Stellia once its been out for a while.

Guest Music monster

Ok understand your point they are expensive.i saved $1500 on the focal utopia but still cost me 4 grand but boy are they good.i certainly won’t be looking at buying any headphones for at least 20 years.gary the music monster ?