Sing

Choosing interconnects for a long run

Hi guys 

I'm connecting a Rega Fono mini a2d to my Yamaha as1000, and will need to run interconnects of between 7 to 10m. 

I'm trying to choose cables that won't break the bank as I've got a budget of just under a 100. How much signal degradation will I see at that distance, and how much attention do I need to pay to cable quality, balanced against a budget? 

Thanks!

Regards

Sing 

From what I've read RCA's can be OK for lengths up to about 5m.  I run a 7m length from my TV into the stereo for improved audio, but recognise that it's from the tv and not audiophile quality to being with so am not bothered by a small loss of quality for the improvement gained.  I made it from Belden 1505f, it's what BlueJeans use to make some of their cables. 

For a longer length you might get some loss of quality.  You might be safer getting low-capacitance cable used for phono interconnects, this may have less loss over the longer length you need to use (some technical SNA's may be able to clarify this). 

As suggested above, it's better if you can reduce the cable length by getting the components closer together.  At least you have the long cable between the phono pre and the amp, it would be worse having a long phono cable between the tt and phono pre. 

I regularly run long up to around 7m with no problem . Never tried it from an actual phono amp , better make sure they're shielded and not too microphonic. EBay might be your friend otherwise some old coax cable and a soldering iron . 

2 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

I regularly run long up to around 7m with no problem . Never tried it from an actual phono amp

Why should the interconnect from a phono stage to a preamp be any different to the interconnect from, say, a CDP?

4 minutes ago, DEANO23 said:

better make sure they're shielded and not too microphonic.

That applies to any interconnect, IMO.  :)  And they should be low capacitance.

Andy

Another thing you could use xlr adapters to rca and of course rca to xlr and do it that way . Done that for subs on 11m runs 

Goodaye

l have a 12m long interconnect using Altronics W3000 cable and Amporal connectors.

Works fine.

For a test one day l moved everything and used a 1m cable, no disernable difference l could hear.

Cost less than $100

l use W300 and Amporal connectors for all my interconnects.

regards Bruce