Sign in to follow this  
anewmission

DIY nas with old pc?

On 20/06/2019 at 9:42 AM, sloper said:

Not  a fan of raid, l have seen a couple of big failures.

I have been involved with many large RAID installations.  It is a rock solid trusted technology. It works.

Hard drives die, but kept working till  a 3rd HD failed.

Well you should have been replacing them as they died, then you would have had no problems.  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have been involved with many large RAID installations.  It is a rock solid trusted technology. It works.

Well you should have been replacing them as they died, then you would have had no problems.   

Maybe rock solid when there';s someone looking after it.

Wasnt my insterlation.

One was  a small business and one a home owner.

Also had a clubs hosting and cloud service shutdown because the server was too old, they didnt tell anyone.

Just switched it off and didnt transfer the service over.

Cancelled our business with them after that.

regards Bruce

Edited by sloper
added content

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, sloper said:

Maybe rock solid when there';s someone looking after it.

So if your car breaks down because you didn't put more water or oil in it when it was needed, you blame the car?

Edited by aussievintage

Problem is some people dont put oi[ and water in there car.

regards Bruce

20 minutes ago, sloper said:

Problem is some people dont put oi[ and water in there car.

regards Bruce

Doesn't make the car bad technology.

I think the PC based NAS route is fun if you are inclined to technically experiment, or you have the parts sitting around.  Can be cheaper but more work to maintain than a dedicated nas.

I definitely did that in the past, but Synology NAS is definitely set and forget and powerful enough to run ROON and stream videos.  Lower power, efficient, runs in a cupboard space.

i wouldn’t ever go back to a pc based NAS

Not  a fan of raid, l have seen a couple of big failures.

Hard drives die, but kept working till  a 3rd HD failed.

Very expensive data retreivial.

And a fire which destroyed everything.

Both big failures were not because of the failure of Raid Technology.  In the first instance, Raid did its job well, set up to protect for 2 disk failures and no one took the effort to replace them before the 3rd disk failed.  In the second instance, a fire can only be mitigated by off site or cloud backup and/or using fire proof storage for data backed up on removable drives.  Nothing to do with Raid.

Blaming Raid for both failures misrepresents both situations.

And backing up to a single disk is less safe than to a PC or NAS with Raid.  Nevertheless, it is better than having no backup, which is very common.

On 21/06/2019 at 9:51 AM, aussievintage said:

Fully agree, rock solid trusted technology that works.

i use open media vault. I  built a small energy efficient Intel PC a few years back and use OMV. It has a web based point and click front ending the linux OS and all the plugs ins. Still a bit fiddly with upgrades needing command line but a great  free program

i use open media vault. I  built a small energy efficient Intel PC a few years back and use OMV. It has a web based point and click front ending the linux OS and all the plugs ins. Still a bit fiddly with upgrades needing command line but a great  free program
To make energy efficient should I get very low wattage psu and underclock the cpu?

1 hour ago, anewmission said:
23 hours ago, charlie_bird said:

To make energy efficient should I get very low wattage psu and underclock the cpu?

I went with a core I3, a mini ITX MB with lots of sata ports, 3 x 2TB  green HDD, SSD for the OS, cheap fan controller to turn the case fans right down, and a nice small case (fractal design node 304). I used a 550 watt PS but you can choose on energy efficiency and price. Its been on 24X7 for about 9 years now no issues.  I didn't under clock the CPU

I went with a core I3, a mini ITX MB with lots of sata ports, 3 x 2TB  green HDD, SSD for the OS, cheap fan controller to turn the case fans right down, and a nice small case (fractal design node 304). I used a 550 watt PS but you can choose on energy efficiency and price. Its been on 24X7 for about 9 years now no issues.  I didn't under clock the CPU
Yeah I have a fan controller.
I may try and underclock a celeron or pentium cpu that I have.. And then for the moment I'm going to rip out the hard drives of a bunch of external drives that I have.. I think this will work and be a lot cheaper than buying all new drives.
Will these nas servers work with USB drives also?

I just checked the motherboard and it only has 4sata ports..

Anyone have any luck installing TV tuners in free nas software??

Dont have experience on nas software specifically but I use this https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sony_PlayTV_dual_tuner_DVB-T

on a nuc with libreelec for our daily driver and it works fine. Super cheap, Not as fast to change channels as the Hauppage I used to have but it works and it is our main TV source. and works across the network at other nodes.

2 minutes ago, frednork said:

Dont have experience on nas software specifically but I use this https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sony_PlayTV_dual_tuner_DVB-T

on a nuc with libreelec for our daily driver and it works fine. Super cheap, Not as fast to change channels as the Hauppage I used to have but it works and it is our main TV source. and works across the network at other nodes.

The Sony PlayTV was the most successful USB tuner among the 4 or 5

used wth Synology NAS. Tried to use them as a DIY digital video recorder. For some reason, had many problems particularly losing TV channels and not getting them back. Am technically literate with IT background and I rate USB TV tuners as one of the most frustrating experiences.  

54 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The Sony PlayTV was the most successful USB tuner among the 4 or 5

used wth Synology NAS. Tried to use them as a DIY digital video recorder. For some reason, had many problems particularly losing TV channels and not getting them back. Am technically literate with IT background and I rate USB TV tuners as one of the most frustrating experiences.  

I think choice of backend TV server is the key, I use headend. Have tried others and failed

I think choice of backend TV server is the key, I use headend. Have tried others and failed
TVheadend the Linux one? I really like that software. Which nas software are you using it on?