Recommended Speaker & Amplifier Combinations

Not sure if this has been done before but speaking from experience I have seen good and bad speaker/amp combinations in my system. I know that best practice is to get to a hi-fi shop and listen with your own ears but sometimes this isn't possible given that the amps or speakers we own at the time may be superceded, or logistics just work against us. Plus how it sounds in the store doesn't necessarily reflect how it will sound at home anyway.

There is a heap of experience and knowledge on this forum that have help people that are looking to upgrade their speakers or amp or both do so with a base line level of confidence even if they can't find somewhere to hear both. I know theres so many variables and this list should be taken with a grain of salt but it may atleast minimise some of the pain associated with getting it wrong.

I'll start with combos I have not necessarily heard but have seen repeated on forums like this over the years. Or even on display at hi-fi shows, generally you'd think that speaker manufacturers have done a lot of trial and error with amps to make their speakers sing to impress us all.

Rotel & B&W

Classe & B&W

Arcam & Kef

Cyrus & Dynaudio

Anthem & Paradigm

• Like 1

just have to be careful while something i might find a good match it might not be to everyones tastes... its one of the great things with hifi that can mix and match ot own advantage :)

some combos have found working well (just in brand keeping in mind the huge range in some brands)

Speaker and amp combos...

B&W - rotel, nad and classe also found musical fidelity to work well as with elektra, naim is also an interesting choice

focal - musical fidelity, elektra, unison research

monitor audio - musical fidelity

PMC - cyrus, musical fidelity

Paradigm - rotel, elektra, primare

Martin Logan - Classe, Elektra

while taking speakers around to a retailer is not easy... its worth listening to something in the family to narrow down choices... can then home demo electronics in question to make final choice. ie you might only home demo 1-2 item to make sure.

re speakers while will have some preferences in store where possible definitely try get a home demo... :)

• Like 3

Guest deanB

ATC P1 + ATC Scm40 v2

My first question after listening to this combo was "how good would the (twice the power) P2 be then?"

Always had eyes bigger than my stomach.

3 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Rotel & B&W

Classe & B&W

Arcam & Kef 

Cyrus & Dynaudio

Anthem & Paradigm

As a thought experiment it would seem to me that given enough replies to this thread you would eventually end up with every speaker manufacturer being teamed up with every major amplifier manufacturer.

The second question is which is the better match Rotel & B&W or Class & B&W for example; if as you say. the speaker manufacturers go to great lengths to match amplifiers to their speakers to make them sing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanB said:

ATC P1 + ATC Scm40 v2

My first question after listening to this combo was "how good would the (twice the power) P2 be then?"

Always had eyes bigger than my stomach.

Now this would be a combo I'd be interested in hearing. Even the ATC integrated.

4 hours ago, allthumbs said:

As a thought experiment it would seem to me that given enough replies to this thread you would eventually end up with every speaker manufacturer being teamed up with every major amplifier manufacturer.

Correct!  :lol:  (So a pointless thread.)

The second question is which is the better match Rotel & B&W or Classe & B&W for example; if as you say. the speaker manufacturers go to great lengths to match amplifiers to their speakers, to make them sing?

Stupid question.  Whereas one might think that Classe would be better-sounding than Rotel ... the most expensive Rotel (eg. if they build 200w monblocs) would probably sound better than the cheapest Classe.

22 minutes ago, jt301 said:

Some combinations I’ve typically seen:

• Neat speakers with Naim amplification
  • PMC speakers with Bryson amplification .

Yes, you've seen them ... but have you actually heard them?

I would suggest that Neat speakers would sound better with, say, a Sanders Magtech - and PMC would also.  A 200w AKSA 'Maya' would also sound better with both of those speakers than the amps you listed.  But no hifi shop - or reviewer - has ever combined these speakers with these amps ... so you've never heard any comments as to how the combinations sound.  :(

Andy

Edited by andyr

28 minutes ago, andyr said:

No, I haven’t.  You got a problem with that?

As the Op clearly provided examples that he hadn’t necessarily been heard, I think it’s quite appropriate for this so called pointless thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andyr said:

Correct!  :lol:  (So a pointless thread.)

Stupid question.  Whereas one might think that Classe would be better-sounding than Rotel ... the most expensive Rotel (eg. if they build 200w monblocs) would probably sound better than the cheapest Classe.

I would suggest that Neat speakers would sound better with, say, a Sanders Magtech - and PMC would also.  A 200w AKSA 'Maya' would also sound better with both of those speakers than the amps you listed.  But no hifi shop - or reviewer - has ever combined these speakers with these amps ... so you've never heard any comments as to how the combinations sound.  :(

Andy

So you think it's a pointless thread because apparently all speakers work well with all amps, but then you contribute to the thread the way it was intended and suggest an amp/speaker combination that you believe works. But not before you question another poster about his "experience" with a combination and then you do the same implying a Rotel "would probably sound better" than the Classe, struggling to see your point.

After all, most people got this thread and contributed positively, its opinions, views and experiences, nothing more. A guide given there's so many more variables which everyone that posts is well aware of.

If theres someone with B&W speakers thinking about an amp upgrade for instance, they now have a few amps that have been listed here to atleast have on their radar for audition based on real world experiences, not website reviews.

At the end of the day if everything sounded the same this forum wouldn't exist because we'd have nothing to talk about.

11 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

How about bypassing the problem?  Active speakers should be a perfect match between amp and speaker. 

Couldn't agree more but bang for buck down this route appears to be a lot less than passive speakers and seperate amps...... doesn't it?

4 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

So you think it's a pointless thread because apparently all speakers work well with all amps,

No, I didn't say this - maybe you need to read what people write, more carefully.

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

No, I didn't say this - maybe you need to read what people write, more carefully.

if that wasn't what you meant, do enlighten me as to your point because your post was contradictory from start to finish, thats what I read anyway.

38 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Couldn't agree more but bang for buck down this route appears to be a lot less than passive speakers and seperate amps...... doesn't it?

It shouldn't be more expensive.  But the bigger challenge is overcoming the desire/need to upgrade passive speakers, power amps.  Many people still want the freedom to upgrade individual components.  I was using active speakers for about 6 years and did not consider going back to passive + power amp.  And any passive + power amp combination that may be better was likely to cost even more. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

yes and no... try getting my focal 1007be stand mounts in an active version with my unison research S6 pure class A tube amp built in.... :D

why its live and let live I think...and why there are many roads.... :)