Two AVRs for 7.2.4 - Volume Control?

I’m about to upgrade to Atmos 7.2.4 by adding a second AVR to my system my current AVR (Denon AVR-7200WA) only has 9 amps but has line level outs for 11 speakers and decodes 7.2.4. My old AVR (Arcam AVR-600) has multichannel line level inputs (it’s a 7.1 amp).

Can I use the Denon’s Volume control to control both AVRs output level or do I need to tweak both volume controls? (Which would be painful).

1 hour ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

I’m about to upgrade to Atmos 7.2.4 by adding a second AVR to my system my current AVR (Denon AVR-7200WA) only has 9 amps but has line level outs for 11 speakers and decodes 7.2.4. My old AVR (Arcam AVR-600) has multichannel line level inputs (it’s a 7.1 amp).

Can I use the Denon’s Volume control to control both AVRs output level or do I need to tweak both volume controls? (Which would be painful).

you will have to use both vol knobs and have two gain stages in tow. not ideal.

you can quite affordably pick up multi channel power amps that will take some load off you main avr in any case and worth investing in believe. you run some pretty serious speakers homer, id say well worth investing in a good multi channel power amp, especially if were intending to go to a two box setup in any case...

• Like 1

Thanks.

I think I’ll use the Arcam for my main 5 speakers since a lot of my listening is quad and 5.1 music. Probably only watch an Atmos or 7.1 movie 2 or 3 times a month, although there’s Atmos music only stuff pre-announced but still known quantity (the press release mentioned ‘thousands’ of songs and a renowned engineer has said he’s done hundreds already).

I may buy a Denon AVC-8500H in the future but I’m now retired so funds aren’t as freely available as they once were...

Edit: I’ll keep my eye out for a 2nd hand power amp though. 

Edited by HomerJ1503560906
  • Like 2

Guest niterida

I run two AVRs with the second one running my 4 heights. Just set the secondary one to 0.0MV, run your setup and use the primary AVR volume from then on.

You can also play with MV on the secondary AVR to get the Atmos effect just right and easily adjust it for specific movies/music/audience preference etc.

Edited by niterida

38 minutes ago, niterida said:

I run two AVRs with the second one running my 4 heights. Just set the secondary one to 0.0MV, run your setup and use the primary AVR volume from then on.

You can also play with MV on the secondary AVR to get the Atmos effect just right and easily adjust it for specific movies/music/audience preference etc.

I just tried this and it works as desired. Thanks!

I tried with only one channel (Left) via analog out to my 2nd AVR and played back a stereo FLAC with right channel out the original AVR.

At first I heard nothing out left but after checking wiring I increased volume on the 2nd AVR and manually matched the two speaker levels. Then the first AVRs volume control worked to adjust both speakers ‘normally’. So this will work moving forward.

I may initially do what you’ve done and only drive the new 4 Atmos ceiling speakers after I complete their installation, but I’m very tempted to move my five main large full range B&W 800 series to the Arcam (old 2nd amp) soon after. I forgot how heavy the Arcam is, back breaking to move it ?

Luckily I’ve got space for two AVRs with plenty of ventilation.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

I may buy a Denon AVC-8500H in the future but I’m now retired so funds aren’t as freely available as they once were...

This is the man who led me to financial ruin by tempting me to multi channel music.  But have only a tenth of what he has,  will never catch even though he is crying "poor" now  ? ?

36 minutes ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

, but I’m very tempted to move my five main large full range B&W 800 series..m

With those speakers, am still amazed that you have not invested in a prepro and multi channel amps.  A much cleaner solution than 2 AVRs. Better amps for the B&Ws and a better processor with room correction can improve your multi channel experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

With those speakers, am still amazed that you have not invested in a prepro and multi channel amps.  A much cleaner solution than 2 AVRs. Better amps for the B&Ws and a better processor with room correction can improve your multi channel experience. 

agree...dont need a brand spanker latest gen king daddy AVR either. id buy an AV processor from 2015 eg marantz av8802a pickup a 2nd hand but good quality power for same money instead :) will do atmos and sound quality to boot in measure of the top end speaker package OP is running :) 

• Like 1

In the last year I’ve moved house. I managed to get a 2nd 5.1 system (smaller) in my living room with a new OLED TV. In my main room (the photo) I’ve bought a new 75” Sony 900F as a temporary screen and budgeted for a 85” OLED (or equivalent) when they hit stores in 2020 or 2021.

So that’s the budget blown for next year or two. Especially now I’ve ‘snuck in’ new Focal ceiling speakers into my main room. So the dual AVR solution gets me into Atmos for about $2500 (just the speakers plus cabling contractor on top).

I’d love to nab a decent prepro and separate power amps. In hindsight I should have done that a few years back. Cheaper to invest in great power amps and speakers (no upgrades) and just changeout the processor. But now I’m seeing prepros with XLR outputs only so If Id kept my old Mac multichannel amp I had when I bought the B&Ws even that would get left behind as it had RCA only...

Anyway, I cant spend too much now, retirement may last another 30 years!

Hey Snoop, glad to hear you’re still into MCH music!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

But now I’m seeing prepros with XLR outputs only so If Id kept my old Mac multichannel amp I had when I bought the B&Ws even that would get left behind as it had RCA only...

that would be some very specific pro related beasts.... all ones i know have both xls and RCA. while i use XLR for consistent level across all channels plus with complexity and split i run I do believe  RCA very much has a place in the home.....

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

Hey Snoop, glad to hear you’re still into MCH music!

My first love is still 2 channel and I went thru a massive change earlier in year. That change forced me to decouple my 2 channel and HT and I now have all the same speakers (not yet into Atmos) albeit a lot smaller than yours; small Monitor Audio Apex supported by 2 SVS subs.

Still do multi channel music. Coincidentally, was listening to Chicago's Quadio before I saw your post. Definitely one of the better MCH recordings.

49 minutes ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

So that’s the budget blown for next year or two. Especially now I’ve ‘snuck in’ new Focal ceiling speakers into my main room. So the dual AVR solution gets me into Atmos for about $2500 (just the speakers plus cabling contractor on top).

anyways to cut the 6 x 8" speaker atmos to 4 x 6" as suggested ? that in itself will cut budge off the needed atmos budget. let alone minus cost of running 2 less in ceilings as well :) theres your amp budget :) amazing what can buy of quality 2nd hand ....

44 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Still do multi channel music. Coincidentally, was listening to Chicago's Quadio before I saw your post. Definitely one of the better MCH recordings.

I’ve quite a few quad conversions now, some of which are excellent.

The next Quadio is from The Doobie Brothers, their four albums from the early seventies originally released in quad.

42 minutes ago, betty boop said:

that would be some very specific pro related beasts.... all ones i know have both xls and RCA. while i use XLR for consistent level across all channels plus with complexity and split i run I do believe  RCA very much has a place in the home.....

Homer is probably referring to the new 15.1.6 atmos pre pro's coming Al ; the Emo RMC1 and XMC2 have no unbalanced ; the Monoprice HTI and the L yngdorf Mp50 and Acurus Muse are a few others . Helps with the back panel real estate and price no doubt B)

even that would get left behind as it had RCA only...

Adapters can solve this Homer if you see a reasonable price power amp :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777Q398S?tag=viglink127716-20

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

anyways to cut the 6 x 8" speaker atmos to 4 x 6" as suggested ? that in itself will cut budge off the needed atmos budget. let alone minus cost of running 2 less in ceilings as well :) theres your amp budget :) amazing what can buy of quality 2nd hand ....

Yea, I’ve already decided on 4 only. I found a pair of 8” (ex demo) that were cheaper and (after reading one of your earlier posts) went for a pair of 6” at a reasonable discount. So under $2k but add another $175 for cable plus there’ll almost definitely need a plasterer (and an electrician).

I’ll run cabling for future Top Middles as that’s not really adding anything pricewise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

going back to this homer. I know mention upgrading to top level denon AVR... I wouldn't ... the 7200wa is decent enough in pre amp stage...just loose in the buy sell and replace. 

if want to go up an affordable option will be buy a 5 channel amp eg rotel here

https://lifestylestore.com.au/rotel-rmb1555-5-channel-power-amplifier.html

will pick up all the base channels and can leave the rest of the surrounds running off the AVR. if want could even bi-amp the mains and also feed the centre... off something like that and have all the rest surrounds off the avr. anther option a bit cheaper to similar in cost might be an elektra T7 or theatre HD that turns up and would be in the $1500 to $2.5k or so 2nd hand. 

just thinking with calibre of mains and centre you have really deserves better ... actually even looking at calibre of one of surrounds can see in one of your posts ... gosh they deserve better in the amplification stakes :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

Just thinking with calibre of mains and centre you have really deserves better ... actually even looking at calibre of one of surrounds can see in one of your posts ... gosh they deserve better in the amplification stakes :)

When I saw Garry's setup a few years ago (when he infected me with MCH music ? )  , I was surprised that he was using a grunty AVR, not a prepro, multi channel amps.  It is the ideal MCH speaker config of 5 identical speakers, something most people do not have and even fewer will be using B&W 802s!!!!  I agree the speakers deserve better amplification but the Marantz has kept Garry happy for a long time.  

• Like 2