Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cultfilman said:

Bancroft got the nod due to his good county form. He still has technical issues. What was he doing for those 9 months he was out of the game? Obviously not working on his technique.

Doesn't matter. Bancroft has been dropped for Harris. As expected Pattinson in for Siddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

Doesn't matter. Bancroft has been dropped for Harris. As expected Pattinson in for Siddle.

 

Yeah............looks like that worked...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said we wont get much cricket as radar is showing a wide rain band heading Leed's way. Dont ya just love pommie weather. A real cricket killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

 

Yeah............looks like that worked...............

Sure did. Harris is untried abroad. Even at home is only good for a 30 before he has a brain fade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Why & how  is a West Indian playing for England.?

like state of origin it should be country of origin.

Only England does it. 

I remember they wanted Andrew Symonds as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tony ray said:

Why & how  is a West Indian playing for England.?

like state of origin it should be country of origin.

Only England does it. 

I remember they wanted Andrew Symonds as well.

 

Simple.   Father is English and good recruiting.

 

Australia does it as well - Marnus Labuschagne was born in South Africa.

 

Both Archer and Labuschagne are Australian and English citizens respectively, so they are entitled to play for those countries.

 

Sounding like sour grapes Tony :P   We are good enough to beat whoever they put in front of us  - or at least I hope so.

Edited by metal beat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

Why & how  is a West Indian playing for England.?

like state of origin it should be country of origin.

Only England does it. 

I remember they wanted Andrew Symonds as well.

Citizenship is the only reasonable way to determine these things.. Both the UK and Australia - and everywhere else these days - are countries with very large migrant populations - do they get excluded? What can country of origin mean anymore? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archer played for the West Indies in the U19 World Cup.

Didn't go to England until he was 21.

Marnus Labuschagne came to Australia as a 10 year old.

I could not imagine changing countries as a 21yr old.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The Poms changed the rules just six months before they had to submit their squad for the World Cup:

 

Some overseas cricketers will be eligible to play for England after living in the country for three years under new rules coming in on 1 January.

The updated England and Wales Cricket Board rules mean, for example, that Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer will be eligible to play for England next year.

Archer was born in Barbados but has an English father and a British passport.

Under the previous rules he would not have been eligible until the winter of 2022 after a seven-year residency.

That, since 2012, had been the period required for players who arrived in England after their 18th birthday.

 

BBC Sport 29 November 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolster said:

The Poms changed the rules just six months before they had to submit their squad for the World Cup:

 

Some overseas cricketers will be eligible to play for England after living in the country for three years under new rules coming in on 1 January.

The updated England and Wales Cricket Board rules mean, for example, that Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer will be eligible to play for England next year.

Archer was born in Barbados but has an English father and a British passport.

Under the previous rules he would not have been eligible until the winter of 2022 after a seven-year residency.

That, since 2012, had been the period required for players who arrived in England after their 18th birthday.

 

BBC Sport 29 November 2018

You are right in one respect, wrong in the other.   Yes, England did change their rules - to align with ICC rules!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, metal beat said:

 

Simple.   Father is English and good recruiting.

 

Australia does it as well - Marnus Labuschagne was born in South Africa.

 

Both Archer and Labuschagne are Australian and English citizens respectively, so they are entitled to play for those countries.

 

Sounding like sour grapes Tony :P   We are good enough to beat whoever they put in front of us  - or at least I hope so.

More good poaching than recruitment. Chris Jordan found Archer as a net bowler in his native Barbados  and seeing that West Indian cricket did not appear to want him and the fact he had an English father offered him a future contract with Sussex. Later the ECB fell over themselves to waive the current 7 yr eligibility period to 3 to fast track him into international cricket.

Edited by cultfilman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

Archer played for the West Indies in the U19 World Cup.

Didn't go to England until he was 21.

Marnus Labuschagne came to Australia as a 10 year old.

I could not imagine changing countries as a 21yr old.

 

Money. Barbados is poor. West Indies is poor. Neither can match what England cricket can. Archer saw thousands of pounds before his eyes and loyalty to the country of his birth went out the window.

Edited by cultfilman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

Archer played for the West Indies in the U19 World Cup.

Yes he did. Then for some unfathomable reason he was not offered a FC contract in his native Barbados. The WICB is to blame for permitting England to pinch Archer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, cultfilman said:

Sure did. Harris is untried abroad. Even at home is only good for a 30 before he has a brain fade.

Master stroke to recruit Marnus Labuchagne into the squad for Smith. This is now his second subtantive knock in two matches. Warner got rare runs finally but played and missed more times than he had runs for the series. Our usually reliable tail failed to contribute much. 

Edited by cultfilman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone remember Keppler Wessels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bronal said:

Anyone remember Keppler Wessels?

Yep. Recruited from South Africa in 1970 by Kerry Packer for WSC.  Played his first game for Australia 12 years later in 1982. Very good cricketer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...