Sign in to follow this  
cultfilman

Cricket Season 2019/20.

19 hours ago, buddyev said:

Why wasn't he wearing a helmet with the back protection? 

Great to see genuinely fast and hostile fast bowling. 

The batsmen don't like the back protection. They say it's restrictive.

1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

The batsmen don't like the back protection. They say it's restrictive.

Same for the arm guard he wasn't wearing. Getting a busted arm won't kill you though.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

We just escaped with a draw on as lively a Lords wicket I've seen. Now onto Headingly which I suspect will be have as much grass as they can possibly muster this late into the Northern summer. A few more inches of movement off a length compared to Lords. Just what our top 3 need. 

I wasn't able to sit up late enough to see much of the drama of this match. What did strike me is the sun always seemed to come out when England were batting, and the pitch looked quite benign. Whereas we seemed to be batting under lights and heavy skies with drizzle falling and the ball was doing tricks. Was this just the difference in bowlers? I can recall watching the Aus first innings and thinking the top 4 ALL got brilliant deliveries to be dismissed. I haven't seen Warners 2nd dig dismissal yet but I wouldn't say he's been out of form, just copping some awesome bowling.

I remember watching Archer in the BBL last summer and wondering why this guy wasn't in the English test team. I wonder if we will bring Starc back in to introduce some fear in the Eng batsmen.

Edited by blybo

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, blybo said:

I wasn't able to sit up late enough to see much of the drama of this match. What did strike me is the sun always seemed to come out when England were batting, and the pitch looked quite benign. Whereas we seemed to be batting under lights and heavy skies with drizzle falling and the ball was doing tricks. Was this just the difference in bowlers?

For some reason Payne put the Poms in having won the toss under clear skies. Right on queue it was overcast the next day when we batted. Precisely why the likes of Woakes gets to take the new ball. In Australia, during our summer, on our hard abrasive wickets he'd go at close to 5 an over if they opened with him. In England he's nipping it both ways off the seam and moving it in through the air. 

I can recall watching the Aus first innings and thinking the top 4 ALL got brilliant deliveries to be dismissed. I haven't seen Warners 2nd dig dismissal yet but I wouldn't say he's been out of form, just copping some awesome bowling.

Perhaps I'm being harsh but I thought it was more our lack of technique than the quality of the bowling that was the undoing of our top 3. Warner and to a lesser extent Khawaja have no issues on our wickets where they can afford to bat a foot out of their crease and press forward given the minimal (if any) lateral movement on offer. But it's been difficult to watch how easily the Poms appear to have their number. Broad and Woakes are attacking the stumps on a beautiful length bringing in both edges, LBW and bowled into contention and our top 3 are either leaving enough space between bat and pad (Warner) or hanging their bats outside off and misreading the line thereby feeding the slips (Bancroft & Khawaja). For all of Smiths ticks and qirks at the point of impact the ball is just below his eyes and he's not a foot out of the crease i.e. he's playing it late. That's what separates the great from the good. 

I remember watching Archer in the BBL last summer and wondering why this guy wasn't in the English test team. I wonder if we will bring Starc back in to introduce some fear in the Eng batsmen.

Indeed. Archer's the cause of mild frustration for me. He was a member of the all conquering West Indies Under 19 team that won the World Cup a few years ago beating a strong India in the final. That team had the likes of Archer, Alzari Joseph and Nicholas Pooran in the team. In a perfect world he'd be opening the bowling for the West Indies, but alas, the ECB was able to leverage recently softened qualification criteria and ensure he was able to qualify for the World Cup. He'll go onto average in the low 20's and has all the hallmarks of a future great. 

Edited by Galactic Soap

Posted (edited)
On 17/08/2019 at 10:49 PM, LogicprObe said:

I bet The Don had plenty of 'ugly shots' when required as well...................except all of his innings aren't on 'tape' like they are today.

If you stay in AND score runs, you're a great bat.

Agree 100%. Both are unauthodox and run guzzling geniuses. Both make batting look ridiculously simple. Both have the annoying habit (for the bowler) of putting the ball where the field is not. Both love batting and surviving. I am not comparing the records of the two only their uncanny characteristics.

Edited by cultfilman

The question is now that Smith is out of the Leeds Test who is going to stand up with the bat? 

28 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

The question is now that Smith is out of the Leeds Test who is going to stand up with the bat? 

I'm tipping Warner to fire this evening. His problems thus far have all been above the shoulders. That pic yesterday of Langer putting his arm around Warner and having a heart-to-heart was exactly what was needed.

57 minutes ago, wolster said:

I'm tipping Warner to fire this evening. His problems thus far have all been above the shoulders. That pic yesterday of Langer putting his arm around Warner and having a heart-to-heart was exactly what was needed.

If he does not the selectors have to think seriously about canning him.. or perhaps move him down the order. I have been saying for some time his powers are waning as is his record.

Our bats have to take on Archer. Do not be intimidated. He will bowl his fair share of loose deliveries.. take full toll when he does.

49 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

His problems thus far have all been above the shoulders.

Same I reckon of Mitch Marsh. For someone that has as much natural talent as he has to be constantly failing to build a substantial score is a mystery.

Well, according to Foxsports,  Harris will replace Bancroft, Pattinson back to give Siddle a rest and Labuschagne for Smith.

1 minute ago, wolster said:

Well, according to Foxsports,  Harris will replace Bancroft, Pattinson back to give Siddle a rest and Labuschagne for Smith.

I thought Harris should have been picked above Bancroft.

Good to get Pattinson back. Starc might not get a game in England - amazing really.

Amazing really. He adds the variety n extra pace that we will need.

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

Good to get Pattinson back. Starc might not get a game in England - amazing really.

We dont need Starc spraying the ball all over the shop and letting off pressure. Pattinson is as quick, more accurate and adds serious mongrel.

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

Bancroft got the nod due to his good county form. He still has technical issues. What was he doing for those 9 months he was out of the game? Obviously not working on his technique.

Typical Pommie weather holding up matters at Leeds. Too much to expect us to win two tosses on the trot. Still Paine said he woud'v batted and that is what we are doing.. With the overhead conditions, firepower in Archer and Broad ob cusp of a Headingley record I see us being rolled for 150 without Smithy.

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.